• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Natural anti-inflammatories?

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: I was wondering if there were any that were safe for bunnies.

Homey has a dodgy tummy at times and we have noticed while he was on Metacam it was actually slightly better (it was not prescribed for tummy probs). Our vet wants us to take him off it completely over the next couple of weeks and as we have halved the dose his dodgy bum has come back. It may be coincidence.

So, I was wondering if there were any natural ones that would not have any effect on his liver etc. rather than asking if we can continue with Metacam on a long term basis.

I know there are plants which are natural antiinflammatories which can be fed. Have you tried galensgarden. They list safe plants and uses. I try to feed certain foods to help when Merlin is snuffly.

I think Devils Claw is a natural anti-inflamatory - you can get it in liquid form which you could try adding to the water. Would check with your vet first that it won't do any harm (can't imagine that it would but don't want to be responsible for any problems!!).

i know that parsley helps with arthritus not sure if because it has calcium in or if it is an anti inflammatry.,

BIRCH - Chewing, pain relief, anti-inflammatory, diuretic.
CHICKWEED – Anti-inflammatory, healing of cuts, molt
GOLDEN ROD – anti-inflammatory
OREGON GRAPE ROOT - anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial.
WILLOW - intestinal inflammation.

For tummy related probs maybe try...

FENNEL – bloating & gas, milk flow of nursing does
MARJORIM - coughs, inflammation of mouth, throat. Digestive problems, uterine discomfort, calm nerves
OAK - Eczema, diarrhea, hemorrhoid, pro lapse, digestive problems, bleeding of mouth & gums.
PARSLEY - enriches the blood, urinary problems. Roots are used for constipation and obstruction of the intestines. Inflammation of bladder & kidneys, digestive disorders, fertility in bucks, productivity in does
PSYLLIUM - bronchitis, coughs, soothing skin application,, digestive problems, constipation.
SHEPHERDS PURSE - uterine disorders & hemorrhage, diarrhea
THYME - diarrhea

:wave: Thank you for all this information. I will definitely look into some of them. When you say "willow" does this just mean leaves and branches from a willow tree (my Mum has one), oh and a silver birch tree -is that what is meant by "birch".

I am always a bit nervous of trying new things.:oops: and not used to "natural" remedies.

Is willow an anti-inflamatory? I know that aspirin is made from white willow bark (or was originally) but I didn't think aspirin was anti-inflamatory? May well be wrong on this one though so don't quote me :D
Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid. This was originally extracted from willow bark.
Aspirin is analgesic, antipyretic (lowers temperature), anticoagulant & anti - inflammatory. Was actually the original 'non steroidal anti-inflammatory'.
So willow, specifically the bark has all these properties.
I give my buns some twigs with the leaves on & some small branches once a week more for their teeth than anything else. They love it.
I'm told that horses love willow too, but as I don't have a horse don't have personal experience.

If anyone is able to quantify what is a safe amount to feed at a sitting then that would be good.
I only feed once a week because I am unsure of the safety of feeding more often because of the anticoagulant properties....I feel some research coming on!
Anyway hope this helps, we need to hear from other willow feeders at this point :)

thats a very interesting list. Today i was told bertie needed something to take the inflammation down thats occurred in his upper airway and steroids are out down to his sores under his feet. So the vet said to continue the metacam.

its a minefield..but i would also ask the vets advice....some can surprise you :lol:

Good point purplebumble. I will ask the vet when we go for vaccinations, "just how much willow is safe?" My bun vet is great so he's bound to know.

Back