• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

poorly rabbit?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Two hours ago, I opened Buzz's hutch door because he hadn't been up at the wire for a while and he usually is at this time of day. He was lying, flopped out with his head on the floor of the hutch and he looked really listless and floppy... His tummy/chest was going in and out very fast (even though he had been lying down for a while) and he just looked odd. I offered him a pellet and he refused to take it. I put my hand in to get him to his feet, but he didn't get up and just laid there. His eyes were half closed too while he was trying to look at me. I pushed him from behind quite hard and he still wouldn't get up. So I panicked and picked him up and brought him inside.

Once inside, he was completely normal bouncing around on the sofa, running on the floor, sitting on my lap, grooming etc. He was immediately back to normal and I kept him in for an hour. When I went to put him back, he got into his hutch, went to the same place and flopped out again the same as before, breathing fast, floppy, listless.

What's going on? He had been freeranging in the garden before this, doing a bit of racing around but not more than usual. Is he just tired?! :shock:

How hot is it? My buns have just started flopping out since it's become warm during the way.
Does he have lots of water?

How hot is it? My buns have just started flopping out since it's become warm during the way.
Does he have lots of water?

That's interesting.... when I went down to him this morning, he'd managed to obstruct the path to his own drinking bottle. Do you think it could be that he's dehydrated?

Also it's such a shock to see them flopping again after such a harsh winter. My other two have started flopping again too and they haven't done it for a while. There were also some flies in Buzz's shed, which I killed and removed, but I've checked his bottom and it's completely clean. Anywhere else I should look for flystrike?

How quickly after putting him back did he flop out again? i would have said he could have been asleep the first time and it took a while to rouse him, but seems very odd that he went straight back to that when you put him away? :?
You can check his dehydration by pulling the skin up over his shoulders - if he's ok it should fall straight back down and not leave a "tent" of skin, or skin back gradually. Maybe try offering him the water bottle/bowl directly? if the water in the bottle has got warm he may not want it even if he's thirsty.

Otherwise i'd keep an eye on him - intake and output and general demeanor

As well as checking his bottom, check the inside of his legs and behind his tail - this was where my poor rabbit got flystrike. I was turning him over to check his bottom but didn't think to check between the tail and his back.

Thankfully we caught it in time and he made a full recovery :D

How quickly after putting him back did he flop out again? i would have said he could have been asleep the first time and it took a while to rouse him, but seems very odd that he went straight back to that when you put him away? :?
You can check his dehydration by pulling the skin up over his shoulders - if he's ok it should fall straight back down and not leave a "tent" of skin, or skin back gradually. Maybe try offering him the water bottle/bowl directly? if the water in the bottle has got warm he may not want it even if he's thirsty.

Otherwise i'd keep an eye on him - intake and output and general demeanor

He just hopped back into the hidden area of his hutch and flopped straight back down as soon as he went back in.

He's the kind of bun who needs lots of attention and only eats when you keep him company. He often goes on hunger strike if you can't be with him while he's eating! I don't know if this is another version of that... that he's decided to act ill every time I leave him!

He's pooing normally, I'm going to tempt him with more pellets and some parsley in a minute...

As well as checking his bottom, check the inside of his legs and behind his tail - this was where my poor rabbit got flystrike. I was turning him over to check his bottom but didn't think to check between the tail and his back.

Thankfully we caught it in time and he made a full recovery :D

Thanks! I'm off to check...

Back