• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Charlies been neutered, what do I do now?

Sagemacd

Young Bun
Hi

Charlie got neutered today. I called at 2 and they said he had had the op, they said he was ok sitting up but still sleepy.

I am just wondering what I should do with him tonight. He usually gets out to play in the living room at night but should I just put him in his cage tonight to rest?

Also he has vet bed in his cage so this should not iritate his wound but his litter tray has carefresh in it will this be ok for him or will it stick to his wound?

Also should I not put any hay in his cage either incase he sits on it and hurts himself?

Sorry about all the questions im just worried about him:(

I pick him up at 5, so any advice on after care after neutering would be great.

I'd see how he feels later, maybe offer him the chance to stretch his legs if he wants. Best not to let him do any jumping.

Paper or towels are best for bedding after neutering and until the wounds are well healed.

Feed hay from a hayrack.

Hope you've got lots of his favourite foods to tempt him to eat.

Best to give a bowl as well as a bottle as its easier to drink from if their feeling wobbly.

Hope he's ok.

He should be fine.No need for pain relief...just lots of his fave snacks to get him to eat.A bowl and a bottle, keep him a bit quieter...he wont wanna bounce around!!! Bless him!! Glad hes ok.xxx

Hi

Charlie got neutered today. I called at 2 and they said he had had the op, they said he was ok sitting up but still sleepy.

I am just wondering what I should do with him tonight. He usually gets out to play in the living room at night but should I just put him in his cage tonight to rest?

Also he has vet bed in his cage so this should not iritate his wound but his litter tray has carefresh in it will this be ok for him or will it stick to his wound?

Also should I not put any hay in his cage either incase he sits on it and hurts himself?

Hi, im glad he came through the op ok :)

I would definatly keep him in his cage for tonight, just so he can rest after the op.

Put a little bit of hay in so he can nibble on it, but dont cover the floor otherwise it will irritate his sensitive area.

Plus, u may want to use a bowl for water rather than a bottle. It will be easier for him to drink from.

Hope he recovers quickly. My little man is going in for the same op in a couple of weeks too :)

Hiya,
Luckily the boys usually get over this op much faster than the girls. Keep him very warm as the anaesthetic will have diminished his ability to control his temperature, if u have a hot water bottle put it under his bed so its nice and warm. I'd keep him in his cage just for tonight as he might still be abit wobbly from the anaesthetic and abit sore, let him have a little leg stretch tommorrow morning providing hes well. Definalty make sure he has hay to eat, a hay rack would be best. Getting him to eat is important so tempt him with some of his favourite greens but don't expect him to eat as much as usual. If he has a water bottle, I'd put a bowl of water in aswell to encourage him to drink plenty. Keep him quiet tonight and over the next few days he'll bounce back.
xxx
Oh and watch out for him pulling at his stitches, my Timmy pulled one of his out the day after his op and we had to make him a collar out of an old cereal box. He was crunchy nut Timmy for a couple of days :lol:
xxx

Within ten minutes of Bungle being home he was binkying around the bedroom!

When he had a GA for his nose the vets said within half an hour of coming round he was back to normal.

Some buns cope with these things really well. Keep an eye on him and see how he feels.

Hey he seems to be doing good hes happy and hopping around his cage normaly, eating, drinking and pooping.

My only worry is, I put a towel down in his litter tray instead of carefresh so it wouldnt hurt his wound and I have noticed a little bit of blood on it, not much but could this be serious?

Should I call the vet?

I dont want to pick him up and look incase I hurt him :cry:

When Toffee came back from his operation, I just remember him being REALLLLLY thirsty, so make sure you give him some water in a bowl so he can lap that up :)

Hey he seems to be doing good hes happy and hopping around his cage normaly, eating, drinking and pooping.

My only worry is, I put a towel down in his litter tray instead of carefresh so it wouldnt hurt his wound and I have noticed a little bit of blood on it, not much but could this be serious?

Should I call the vet?

I dont want to pick him up and look incase I hurt him :cry:

G'mornin!
He's probably just pulled a stitch out which is nothing to worry too much about on the boys as it is not a deep wound. Like I say Timmy pulled one of his out and we didnt need to take him back to the vet as it had stopped bleeding and wasn't gaping open. I just bathed it in warm salt water for a few days to keep it clean.
You could do with having a look to find out really, is he ok at being picked up? You wont hurt him if you scoop his back end up on one hand and his front end in the other then tip him back so his back is against your tummy. Then either you or someone else can have a quick look between his legs to check its all ok. You'll see the stiches clearly so if you cant see one in one or both sides he's probably pulled them out :roll:
Having said that if he is a struggler and you're worried, probs best to let the vet take a look. If you do manage to have a look and it seems ok even if he's pulled a stitch out, call your vet anyway and tell her what it looks like etc. as she might have some more advise for you.
Sounds like he's doing great though so please don't worry :)
xxx

Hi

Charlie got neutered today. I called at 2 and they said he had had the op, they said he was ok sitting up but still sleepy.this is normal

cage rest for the next 2days minimum
vet bed is great i would remove the litter tray as jumping in and out cna cuase issues also just put paper(newspaper) in the corner remember to remove the staples though
Also should I not put any hay in his cage either incase he sits on it and hurts himself?no hay in the cage unless its in a rack as it can get into his owund i gave my neutered buns hay in a rack to eat but not to sleep on

other after ca re advice : keep monitoring him overnight after an anestetic bunnys cant regulate tehir temperarture and often get cold in the night try a heat pad and plenty of blankets or towels, you will need to get him eating and pooping as quickly as possible give bun a bottle and a water bowl poorly buns often wont use thier bottle, make sure he has adequet pain relief boys tend to bounce back quicker than girls as its less invasive but keep an eye on the wound my coco managed to re open up his and was in pain and a mes she got an infection and had to have anotehr op to clean it all up and re stitch him :( however other males i have had done have been no trouble!!! if he is already bonded while unlikely sometimes they are with their litter mates if same sex keep them together. if you are planning on bonding him if the female is unspayed wait 6weeks at least(ideally get her done during this time) boys can be fertile 4-6weeks after the op!!! :shock: tempt him to eat with juicy leaves, strong scented foods like corriander parsley mashed porridge oats or babyfood also have critical care on hand just in case! :) you should notice poos within aorudn 24hours of bun coming home xxx

Charlie is doing great this morning. He has been pooping in his tray and has eaten 6 peices of carrot, he also has a bunch of corriander last night and some more this morning, has been drinkin water from his bowl and bottle I also noticed him chewing on some hay from his rack this morning and he has eaten a little drop of pellets.

I dont think he has pulled a stitch as there is no more blood on the towels and it really was only a tiny bit I think I was overreacting a bit :roll: lol, it was probably just a tiny bit from the wound.

He seems happy is hopping about like normal in his cage. I was thinking of taking him out tonight in the living room for a little hop about. Would this be ok do you think?

He is going to see the vet on Thursday for a check-up.

Thanks for all the help everyone. :D

Sounds like he's going great, yay!
Definatly let him out it will do him the world of good. Just make sure he can't jump onto anything too high i.e. sofa or bed, for another couple of days.
xxxxx

Back