• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any tips on how to find a missing/escaped pet rabbit

dustyboy

New Kit
I know this is a long shot, but anything is worth a try!!

Our daughters' rabbit has escaped from his hutch (and the girls are absolutely devestated :(). Unfortunately, we can not find him in the garden and have to assume he has got out under one of the fences. Does anybody know of any ways to entice a rabbit back home?

Thanks

You could try contacting your local vets to see if anyone has handed in a rabbit, if you have any rescues or pet shops around you also contact those. You could also make some posters with an accurate description and picture of the rabbit to display in vets, shops, lamp posts etc
Good luck for finding him, my neighbours rabbit escaped once and they managed to get him back :)

Ask neighbours to look or if you can look in their gardens....put up signs....ring the local vets in case he gets handed in....
treats in places in the garden....
Hope you find him....let us know how it goes.xx

You need to canvas the whole area so anyone who see's or catches him knows who he belongs to. I would talk to your immediate neighbours then run off a few notes to pop through the door of the rest of the street. See if local shops will let you put posters up. Schools/playgroups are good places to ask as people chat with each other. Then vets/rescues/pet shops as those are places people will contact/put up found notices.

Thanks for your suggestions, have already gone down those routes. I have put some food out around the garden, in the hopes he might come back hungry.

Still have his litter tray in the hutch, do they smell their own scent and come back? Is it worth distributing this round the garden too?

Has the bunny got a partner? Sometimes they come back for their mate?
Also rabbits are great at squeezing in tiny places so there is a chance he is just hiding in the garden, maybe rattle the food bag around?

I just wanted to wish you luck!! My outdoor bun, Tessy, escaped from her hutch (she was one of 3 but the other 2 didnt go) and we lived right near a woods..... she wasnt in the garden and the woods was a main walkies site for dog owners. I really did not think I would get her back but 3 days later, I caught her outside the hutch. So please dont give up hope!!!

I would suggest making sure you have somewhere to corner/catch her if she comes back in the garden, if there arent any other buns in the hutch, perhaps leave it open so she can hop back in?

Also check everywhere in your garden. It's very possible he is hiding somewhere you wouldn't think he could get, like underneath a shed.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have been out there again tonight searching in all the places I can think he might hide (under sheds, bushes, etc). Still no luck :(.
Have put lots of food around the garden, will check in the morning and see if any of it has been eaten. Have kept the hutch open since he disappeared, and have also opened his run.
Please keep the suggestions coming in, I am prepared to try anything.

If all other options don't work...

Is he neutered?

If not, perhaps you could tempt him with a girl bunny? Obviously you don't want her to become pregnant if he suddenly jumps out of the shrubbery when she's around, but you could keep a very close eye or put a girl bunny in his run.

The food around the garden was untouched again last night :(

Sounds a like a female bunny is going to be the best bet!!

The food around the garden was untouched again last night :(

Sounds a like a female bunny is going to be the best bet!!

Do you have a run you could put her in for the day and watch from a distance?? Maybe you could walk her around the garden on a harness first to get her scent in the area too. :)

also put up posters on lamposts and put flyers through doors, contact local paper and local radio to do a shout out so people are on the lookout ring all vets within a 30min drive ring rspca to put on national lost list, go onto lost and found websites such as lost pets national pet register etc, check at dawn and dusk (this is when bunsters are most active) ask people to look in sheds, put a carreir in front of house with ablanket and food also treats like carrot as well and a bowl of water..... iring local rescues( rabbit rehome has a list) check on gumtree adn other freee ads adn put a lost post on there join all rabbit forums and cross popst details. so sorry to hear that your rabbit is missing, snowy went missing 2 years ago she has a find snowy facebook page too.... she wasnt "found" but we do know now that someone took her in and she has had 3 homes since none of the owners would return her to me when they wer erehooming her i dont know why however at least i know she is out there loved i hope someday she will be back with me.

Thanks again to all of you. I will call the radio and extend my search further.

Of course, if I have success I will let you all know.

Back