• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emaciated Rabbit

I have just taken in two rabbits. One is the most emaciated bunny I have ever seen. S/he, I do not want to traumatise her more than necessary, looks as though she should be longish coated. She has a lot of hair loss, and nasty sore patches, must have mite.

She came in with another rabbit who, at first check, is quite healthy, a small PEW, just very dirty.

Not having had such a starving bunny here before, and I do mean starving, I cannot believe she is alive, should I limit her pellet and (obviously veg) intake? Should I give her some baby food? She is eating, I have put her in the sunshine, she and her friend are cleaning. I have left them alone in peace because if I am near she flattens completely and I am terrified of her having a heart attack through sheer angst.

I feel I want to leave her friend with her for company, although another part is saying I shouldn't!

Also, I would usually ivomec/panacur etc. Should I do this to such a weak little bun? I feel the ivomec is necessary to try and stop some of the debilitation of mite.

I have an appointment at the vet tomorrow, but if possible I want to settle her for a few days before the ordeal of a 90 min round trip.

Any advice appreciated please.

Alice

aww alice :cry::cry::cry: poor little bun. Personally i'd keep her diet as 'natural' as possible for now - just hay and grass, def no veg as her guts may not be able to handle it. perhaps a small amount of pellets once she has settled in, but if she is seeing the vet tomorrow i'd hold off everything else until she has been seen.

I hope she's ok - i'd leave the friend with her for now if they get along, will keep her happier and less stressed.

Thanks Vikki. I am just so glad she was found and the man had the compassion, and sense, to do something. The buns have been in the back of his van for 4 days, all he had to give them was cereal and water, but he tried his best. All rescues full, so am I, but there are some you just have to squeeze in!

Alice x

I was going to suggest critical care or mashed up pellets, I mean, if she is with a healthy bun, surely they had same access to food which makes me think she (or he) may have a poorly mouth? Have you seen him or her eat yet?

Poor bun bun!!

I was going to suggest critical care or mashed up pellets, I mean, if she is with a healthy bun, surely they had same access to food which makes me think she (or he) may have a poorly mouth? Have you seen him or her eat yet?

Poor bun bun!!

Yes, she is eating a few pellets. Her run is on very short hay like grass, and she has nibbled a bit! I have a horrible feeling someone has lots of them, and they just have very little food, they have probably been 'let out', and these two are lucky in that they have been rescued. The man lives in Hesters Way, and as he said, the terrible sights he see's there are heart breaking.

Alice x

Yes, she is eating a few pellets. Her run is on very short hay like grass, and she has nibbled a bit! I have a horrible feeling someone has lots of them, and they just have very little food, they have probably been 'let out', and these two are lucky in that they have been rescued. The man lives in Hesters Way, and as he said, the terrible sights he see's there are heart breaking.

Alice x

:(

I am not surprised about the Hesters Way bit...... BAD place.

The person he got them off has more??? :? Hmmm, if I can help at all Alice, let me know..... I am not above snooping...!! PM me if needed

When we took in Pippin the pony, he was in a similar way (and because rabbits and horses have similar digestive systems, I assume the theory would be the same) the vet told us to give only hay for a couple of weeks until his system settled. We then slowly weaned him onto a concentrate a small amount at a time.
I also tried to make sure Pippin was kept warm, when thin the animal really feels the cold.
Poor little thing.

Yes, I'd go with very bland high fibre, as long as she keeps ticking over slow weight gain is what you want. No point piling on fat as a lot of what she'll have lost is muscle. It might be worth talking to the vet about a vitamin supplement as if she's not been eating that could be an issue. Careful with exercise too as I imagine her bones aren't in great condition.

I agree with the others. The only thing I'd add is that I wouldn't seperate them if I were you - they'll be feeling stressed enough as it is.

Just to update. They are both girls, aah. I have named the very thin poorly one Santi, apparently it means peace, and I am determined the rest of her life will be so.

They are both cooched up in quite a small hutch, I only have small hutches spare at present. Wish I could have them in the house but I am banned from having house rabbits, apparently 4 dogs, 5 cats etc are quite enough, and Derek thinks 100+ more animals in the house is somewhat extreme, or even verging on serious mental illness! What does he know, huh:lol:

Fingers crossed for them.

Thank you all for your advice.

Alice x

I am in Charlbury (so nearish) if you need any help with fostering to make room for more buns. I am planning on getting a spare double 6ft hutch.

hi alice, arthur was a starved rabbit he had already put on wegiht when we took him on and was still araggy bag of bones (not that anyone could tell now) his teeth had grooves showing tooth issues, and malnurishment, and his first ever carrot piece he took and gave to dora it broke my heart... he is lvoerly now and a little if anything on the tubby side!:lol::oops: give critical care on a saucer for this bun provide extra warmth if you can and feed smal lamounts off ffood regualrly such as pellets and poridge oats soaked in water.... aslo get her checked out for dental issues(thou it could be due to many reasons arthur was left in a hutch with potatoe peeelings and bread thrown in when they could:censored: ) give her grass and hay aminly as this is least likely to upset her tum and obviosuly dont spay her until she is at a normal weight, i think her freind will give her comfort but if you can feed her additional meals this would be good news. hope she is ok thinking of her xx

well done

Sounds as if you are doing a great job. Poor little bun.

Alice, why is the vet a 90-minute round trip? Where do you go with your rabbits? I'm in Tewkesbury, and so far we haven't had vet problems, but then we haven't really had any difficult health issues...

because Jason is an expert with extremely poorly bunnies plus excellent facilities at the Vet Hospital (I guess thats where she means?) Alice would never take buns on a long trip to vets unless really necessary:).

She has a nearer vet for routine stuff.
May be worth giving her the name of your vet though if its nearer to her.-sue:wave:

Alice-I could take 2 (healthy) pairs of outdoor buns off your hands temporarily till 25th March if that helps?

Last edited:
Ah yes, good point Raine, everyone can support Windwhistle Warren by taking part in my raffle, tickets have been reduced to try and encourage more people to participate and there are some awesome prizes!! Please click on the link in my sig!! I would like to get some money to Alice as soon as possible, I think I have only raised about £35 so far! :)

TeflonsShadow xx

Back