• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home made rabbit toys?

Laura_Roo

New Kit
Hey guys, I've got two rabbits, sisters rescued from RSPCA. Now the weather is getting nice they are outside on the garden/in the run more.... but I want them to have toys to play with.

I was looking in the shops but all seemed rubbish. I did buy them a big chewing tube but it got wrecked!

Anyone made any toys?! Or can reccomend one they will like:D

Thanks.

We stuff loo or kitchen roll inners with hay. I also have a wire ball which we stuff with hay or veggies, that keeps them occupied as well.

toys are designed to be wrecked im afraid:lol:

i do the stuffed loo roll, during the summer months i will put fresh willow branches, ( the new stems leaves as well, ) you will find they like to move them to their desired position and nibble, not where you like them to go :lol:
plastic balls with bells in,

willow balls will bells in, I tend to look in charity shops at baby toys hard plastic rattles etc ( nothing rubber)

or pop to the shops day before rubbish days and ask for some brown cardboard boxes to make houses and dens at least when you buy really cheap or get toys free, you dont feel disheartened when they wreck them,

I find rabbit toys in pets shops a bit naff, sometimes its worth a look at the cat dog or other pet sections to see what you can use

toys are designed to be wrecked im afraid:lol:

i do the stuffed loo roll, during the summer months i will put fresh willow branches, ( the new stems leaves as well, ) you will find they like to move them to their desired position and nibble, not where you like them to go :lol:
plastic balls with bells in,

Yeah cloud moves them straight out of his cage. He says he a big boy an doesn't need them.

We stuff loo roll with hay too, but we also put a treat in the middle like some carrot or something to keep him going. Anything they can pick up and throw really. he really likes lids, especially the lid for the polish!!

our little fella doesnt seem to play about with toys very much at all. . . .which is quite a downer when we try keep provding him with things to keep him occupied!!! does anybody elses bunny not seem interested in toys that much ?

:shock:

I thought my bunnies didn't like toys but then I realised their idea of "playing" and ours are completly different.

They like to pick up and throw or move things.

Oh also natural (i think straw) coasters are good as well!! My mum gets them from Ikea

oooo forgot shoe boxes with flappy lids, foster bun i had jim loved my sons shoe box stuffed it full of favorite hays and hed work out how to open it and sit in it nommin away so pleased with himself :lol:

I got a length of plastic pipe from B and Q to use as a tunnel, cost £2. Much cheaper than the cardboard or nylon tunnels.

A cardboard box they can run in and out of is probably what they enjoy the most. Costco have some really good spare boxes near the tills.

Anything that allows them to indulge in natural rabbit behaviour is what seems to be most popular - stuff to run in and out of, things to go through or under, things to chew, things to dig at.

I put a plastic under the bed storage box in with newspaper on the bottom and hay. They love to sit in it nibbling the hay.

If you can get hold of an apple tree branch they love chewing the bark off.

our little fella doesnt seem to play about with toys very much at all. . . .which is quite a downer when we try keep provding him with things to keep him occupied!!! does anybody elses bunny not seem interested in toys that much ?

:shock:

Is he an only bun? It sounds to me like he needs a friend to play with. Rabbits are very social animals and can easily get depressed without somebun to groom, snuggle with and 'talk' to. I'd have a look at some rescue sites and see if you can't find him a friend. :)

Is he an only bun? It sounds to me like he needs a friend to play with. Rabbits are very social animals and can easily get depressed without somebun to groom, snuggle with and 'talk' to. I'd have a look at some rescue sites and see if you can't find him a friend. :)

yeah he is an only bun - for now anyway! we live in teesside and in the last 3 weeks have made contact with a rescue called bunny burrows who dont have any females at the moment, and pawz for thought who dont have any minilops like him but possibly have some girlys that may be suited. and allthough the exact same breed isnt essential a small bun would be better as he is only small and both will live in the house with us :D we really would like to move quickly to get him a wifey but theres no sense in rushing for the sake of it, has to be the right wifey eh!

yeah he is an only bun - for now anyway! we live in teesside and in the last 3 weeks have made contact with a rescue called bunny burrows who dont have any females at the moment, and pawz for thought who dont have any minilops like him but possibly have some girlys that may be suited. and allthough the exact same breed isnt essential a small bun would be better as he is only small and both will live in the house with us :D we really would like to move quickly to get him a wifey but theres no sense in rushing for the sake of it, has to be the right wifey eh!

Exactly! It's brilliant you're looking though! Did you look on Rabbit Rehome, cuz I *think* there are loads of different rabbit rescues on there, and there may be one near you you didn't know about with the perfect little girlie! :D

Exactly! It's brilliant you're looking though! Did you look on Rabbit Rehome, cuz I *think* there are loads of different rabbit rescues on there, and there may be one near you you didn't know about with the perfect little girlie! :D

yeah we have looked on the rescue section, only one is an rspca place near by, rang them last week and they said we can pop down and have a look aswell!

by the way, here he is....handsome fellow

sorry for messing up this thread by the way!

I hide herbs, raisins or treats under empty pot noodle pots for penny to find. It makes me laugh, how it takes her ages to tip the pot over, to get her food. she also likes to chuck empty yoghart pots around.

yeah we have looked on the rescue section, only one is an rspca place near by, rang them last week and they said we can pop down and have a look aswell!

by the way, here he is....handsome fellow

sorry for messing up this thread by the way!

Aww! I want a cuddle! *Pouts*

Back