• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i need some advice babies.

kayburdett

Warren Scout
i was given a young rabbit from a friend of a friend at work to pair with one of my males who i haven't yet introduced until he's old enough to be done like all my other rabbits and they could be paired. Anyway went in to clean all bunnies out the other day and scooped six babies into the bin bag from my new female bunny. I quickly put them back in and tried not to touch them this was thursday and she was fine and i've tried only to peak into the hutch without touching of course only when she's feeding. I've gone to give her breakfast this morning and there were two dead eaten babies big question i'm askin is what do i do now with the remaining four do i hand rear them or just leave them with mum please please advise thanks.

i was given a young rabbit from a friend of a friend at work to pair with one of my males who i haven't yet introduced until he's old enough to be done like all my other rabbits and they could be paired. Anyway went in to clean all bunnies out the other day and scooped six babies into the bin bag from my new female bunny. I quickly put them back in and tried not to touch them this was thursday and she was fine and i've tried only to peak into the hutch without touching of course only when she's feeding. I've gone to give her breakfast this morning and there were two dead eaten babies big question i'm askin is what do i do now with the remaining four do i hand rear them or just leave them with mum please please advise thanks.

Oh gosh...what a shock for you!! Unfortunately I think many people have had this problem with bunnies given from friends of friends/the web.

Hopefully these two dead babies died naturally, and she just overgroomed them, but, as the weather is very cold her mothering instincts might not have kicked in yet.
A friend of mine had to bring the babies inside and bring mum to feed the kits, as she wouldn't mother them, and killed four out of six. Now, a few days later, she's started feeding them, and caring them, so the remaining two have gone back with her.

Just keep an eye on them. Looked after kits, should have round little pot bellies. if not, then it's possible they are not being fed.

Hope someone can give better advise.

TBH its really hard (but not impossible) to hand rear babys as mums milk is so rich, there is not really a good substitution for it. (hence why mummy buns only feed once a day) I would personally be a bit wary of removing babys away from mum
As teddymummy said they should have round pot tummys and should be nice and warm :)
Id be observing over thenext 24/48h (without distrubing) to see what happens then take action :)

You want to avoid removing babies if possible. Rabbits are very difficult to hand rear at such a young age, so unless you have a lot of time, and are prepared for heartache, I wouldn't even consider it.

Do the babies have round, full bellies? If so, this means that mum is feeding them. Wrinkley tummies means that she isn't feeding them, so you may have to help out.

thanks for the advice i have peaked in tonight and they are wiggling and appear warm i daredn't mess them about too much but will check in the morning to see if they have full bellies or not and go from there.

thanks for the advice i have peaked in tonight and they are wiggling and appear warm i daredn't mess them about too much but will check in the morning to see if they have full bellies or not and go from there.

Wriggly babies are a good sign! :D It means that they're nice, warm, and should be well fed!!

Back