• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mums bun begin stasis..was i too cocky

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
mum rang me 9am and said her bun wasnt right..
she couldnt tell if shed been pooping but she didnt eat her brekkie.

im used to mum worrying for nothing..but also a few times ive been shocked how sick she was. so i trundled across with berties metaclop..some metacam and syringes ready to feed her cc...oh and our cheap stethascope.

i had to listne real carefully for tummy noises..her tummy wasnt making loud noises but when i managed to tune out her heart beating like mad..i could hear the gas and it wasnt dreadful but enough to make me give ehr the meds..but not the feed. the reason....i gromed her until her back had a patch the size of my hand...her new fur had grown in already and i tuftede out the old stuff..plucked her like a chicken:shock::lol:

but i do worry.....each bun is diff in how their tums sound working...but i reckon i know enough..just to give metaclop.

BUT,.....am i being too cocky.....im getting paranoid now.....

by 1pmish..she was moving round mums lounge..eating and pooping..phew.

terrifying thought i could get it wrong with a blockage....anyone else got that worry?

I am glad that your Mum's Bun is feeling better :)

It really isnt a good idea to administer POMs to a Bun without first obtaining the consent of a Vet. Especially if the Rabbit is A- Not yours and B- The meds were not specifically prescribed for that Rabbit. I know you were only wanting to help the Bun, but the legal implications for both you and the Vet who gave you the supply of POMs would be significant if something went wrong-eg if the Bun had a bad reaction to the meds or if there was a GI obstruction etc...etc...

thank you jane.....sadly i know...but several times ive got to her and shes only had to stay in one n ight.
if i am not sure...i always make her see the vet.

its why most vets will not let you have metaclop syrup just in case.....

mums bun after one bout of gi slowdown seems to be prone to it..but no reason behind it...but we found twice shed barbered her fur under her chest...vet could only put it down to stress.

i would never treated mums bun if she hadnt had metaclop before..or if i couldnt hear tummy movements....but i usually prefer to take her to the vet but it was a gassy tum...but didnt want to chance the infacol by itself..just in case.

mums bun is having her myxi jab in the morning so i think i will ask ellen to double check her why she gets stasis so easily..and direction s for my mum.

Back