• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why are housing decisions so hard?

Glingle

Warren Veteran
Is it just me that spends soo much time trying to work out the best option that they don't actually get anywhere?

I've just bought a new house and am trying to sort out new accommodation for the bunnies. I think their 3 year old Rydale 5 foot two storey hutch with attached 5 ft run is too small so want to get them something bigger (plus I'm not sure I could get it through the house as it is and Mum & Dad are happy for it to be left here so they can look after the buns if needed).

I wondered about getting them a 10ft long dog kennel/run but decided it didn't give them enough space as I really want them to have a 6ftx8ft minimum run plus indoor space. Thought about getting a 6x4 shed and adding a 6x8 run via a "catflap", but how do I then get all their gubbins stored? So maybe a 6x8 shed and sectioning off part of it to store the hay and megazorb? But would bunny wee trash the shed?

Then whilst shed hunting I noticed a custom built cat run and thought hmm maybe I could get something made a bit like that (sort of similar to those "coop" style rabbit/hen ones that are really small), but made to give a 6x8 run with a raised hutch in it across the back giving a 6x2 hutch area and making the whole thing about 4 foot tall with a covered roof so I can sit in there with them. If I did that though would I be able to afford it and what if I didn't get the design right?

Arrrggggh, need to make a decision soon so I can move them from my parents house and get them settled in.

Thank you for listening to my rant. :oops:

We have the same problem! We are moving soon and need some ourdoor accomodation for Strawbs. There is already an 8ft shed there but the OH wants it for the lawnmower.

We have decided on a 6ft wendy house and we are going to attach the 8ft run that we made last summer to it. It will be on the patio next to the house.

I wanted a kennel or walk in run but it is working out really expensive and things are going to be really tight for a while when we move.

Lol no you're not the only one!! :lol:

We are having the same discussions! I've gone from kennel run to playhouse plus run to shed plus run..... and have woke up in the night thinking about it and had dreams about it and everything!! :p

I *think* we've decided on a 6x4 shed plus a 6x6 3ft high run attached via cat flap. The reason being that the kennel run would have been straight outside our dining room window and would have blocked out all the light - plus this will work out about £150 cheaper. If I really hate the 3ft run we can always convert to a full-height one eventually. But hey, there's time for me to change my mind yet! ;)

I mentally dismissed the idea of a playhouse because though they're pretty they aren't really all that much cheaper than a full height shed so I didn't see the point of those.

I do plan to have a solid back on the run though to make it more sheltered.

But... yeah. I totally get where you're coming from!

We have to prep. the area and remove a small raised garden and pave it first too. :roll:

ETA: Oh and I've thought of getting a 6ft hutch plus 6x4 run as a stop-gap as well..... but if we can get things prepared etc. for the set-up we really want it seems daft to spend money on something we won't really use. I've thought about using our brick shed too so have just about gone down every avenue mentally!

Jack: I dont no wot mummeh is talksing abowt. I aint goin outsides. I likes the snuggy owse an the metal fings wot get ot. I will pwotest much if she keeps talksing abowt outsides!

Last edited:
So relieved to hear it's not just me! I really must decide what I'm doing this week so I can get the bunnies down there and I can move in myself rather than keep coming up to my parents every weekend. :oops:

and Jack if you're anything like my two you'll love moving outside, they have a secure run attached so they spend the whole night out partying in it and all day tucked up in the hay tray snoozing. :roll:

I think I have looked at every possible housing and still havent decided :roll:

I spend hours and hours looking on websites at sheds/playhouses/dog kennels etc etc and just dont know what to do!!

Mmm - I'm the opposite. I make decisions really quickly and then change my mind. I hate to think what I've spent on hutches, cages, runs, aviaries, tanks and vivariums for all my animals.

I just seem to like upgrading the whole time :lol:

I decided that a shed would be best quite early on in the search for bunny housing, but then we spent a whole day searching for the right kind of shed, one that was good quality and secure to prevent any foxes getting to the buns

I'm still not happy with mine. Got it made when very much a rabbit rookie and now I think it is too small. It's 8x4 with a 2x4 upstairs part, but I think my mini lops could prob do with bigger. Gonna buy a 6x4 shed and attach it via a cat flap or tunnel. Saving up for it!! This condo cost £350 to build and the shed will prob cost something similar.

Expensive little blighters aren't they!!! :love:

condo2.jpg

Back