• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hamster PTS?

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone done this?

My brothers hamster, Harry, is on his last legs now. All his fur has gone and he's stumbeling around. It's absolutely horrible to watch and even though I'm not fond of the little thing I don't want to see any animal suffering.

I'm thinking of taking it myself to the vets and have it PTS (obviously with my brothers permission).

Does anyone know how much roughly this costs? Funds are extremely low at the moment and I've got to get Leo neutered this month as well.

I would ask your vets about it..

When my first hammy was about to go to the bridge i sat and held her, wrapped up warm to let her know she isnt alone. not long after she went :(
i never thought of pts as they are such small animals. and i guess it depends on how much pain they are in..

That's what I thought I've never really heard of people PTS'ing. Probably because it costs more than what it cost to buy the hamster in the first place?

Thing is the poor little guy has been on his "last legs" for at least 8months now. We had another one which went the same way and died naturally.

I just feel bad because no-one would leave a human to stumble around like that. Before he fell in his food bowl on his side and couldn't get up. Then he climbed up his ramp and fell off sideways ... (I've moved that out now).

That's what I thought I've never really heard of people PTS'ing. Probably because it costs more than what it cost to buy the hamster in the first place?

Thing is the poor little guy has been on his "last legs" for at least 8months now. We had another one which went the same way and died naturally.

I just feel bad because no-one would leave a human to stumble around like that. Before he fell in his food bowl on his side and couldn't get up. Then he climbed up his ramp and fell off sideways ... (I've moved that out now).

Aww, poor little guy :(

People often come into our vets to have small animals PTS.
If he is suffering take him in and put him out of his pain- it is the only fair thing to do if he has been like that for months.
They usually PTS by injecting into the stomach, I would ask for him to be gassed down first so he doesn't know what is happening.

My gerbil was put to sleep. It was all very peaceful - he had his injection in the scruff. I think with small animals it's harder to relate to their suffering. It certainly sounds like this little guy is ready to go now.

Yes I had my Syrian hamster pts. :( xx

He was about 2 1/2 years old and developed a large tumour on his testicals. It's position meant that it could have stopped his bowel movements etc. and so when he started to lose weight and slow down (he was fairly active even in old age) and just didn't seem like our lovely Herbert any more we had him pts.

The standard procedure at my vet is to give them a whiff of gas first and *then* inject as the injection if given whilst they are awake it can be very painful.

PTS for small animals (I've had several lumpy mice pts just recently too :cry:) - is £10 at my vet.

Please don't let money influence your decision though - if the hamster is suffering it should be pts - small animals feel as much pain as bigger animals and pts is the last and kindest decision we sometimes have to make for our pets.

I've had a couple of hamsters PTS - they don't all just die naturally, but can become ill and suffer, like all animals.

I have never been allowed to stay with my hamsters, although I have with all my other animals, but I believe they are given a kind of anaesthetic first and then the injection. That is what I asked for as I felt it was kinder.

I think the cost was more than the cost of a hamster but I couldn't let either of them continue when they were clearly suffering. They both looked peaceful afterwards as I took them home to bury them in the garden.

As above really - he'll probably be given some gas then injected intraperitoneally (into the abdomen), and then just drift away. Its very quiet and peaceful. Most vets dont charge very much at all for it, but maybe ring them and check. Lots of hamsters do go down hill very suddenly and are gone in 48 hours say, but if he's been that debilitated for a while then sending him on his way is probably kindest.

I have had three hamsters in my life, Marmite, Pebbles and Pippa. They all had to be put to sleep as it was the kindest thing to do for them, I could not let them suffer.
If an animal is left to 'die naturally' unless it is very sudden it can be a very painful and upsetting death so it is kind to help.

I can not remember how much it cost though as I was very young when I had Marmite and Pebbles but Pippa had to be put to sleep 2 years ago on a Sunday so it was classed as an emergency and cost £90 but it was worth it becasue it ended her pain and suffering which I could not let her go through, she was my little girl. :cry:

I think in all honesty it sounds like this lettle fella needs to be helped on his way, or at least examined by a vet who can give you their honest opinion on whether he is suffering.

My hamster eric came back to live with me and he is un well took him in to vets today and he has to be pts :cry: he is going back tomorrow and will cost £30

Had to have a hamster PTS some years back as it had wet tail...it was so ill and the vet charged £19 :shock:...it was out of hours surgery and it did seem a lot at the time but I couldn't see the poor hamster suffer any longer
:( my thought are with you and your brother hun x

It's always a toughie, and I can particularly relate to it, as my hammy girl has been unwell for weeks now. One day I decided she was going to be PTS, but eventually decided that actually she hadn't given up, and I still think she has some quality of life, since she's eating, drinking and shuffling around etc. I think she'll tell me when it is time to go.

I think only you can really be the judge of whether your hamster is suffering, but please don't let money be a deciding factor, and try to think of your hamster in the same way that you would a bunny.

Thinking back to all the hamsters we've had, most of them died in their food dishes....only a few were PTS by the vet...hamsters never seem to pass away in their comfy little houses but always come out and curl up somwhere else in their cages...ours have always settled in their empty food dishes...strange :roll:

Sorry to hear your brothers hamster is poorly :(

I've had a couple of hamsters put to sleep and they went peacefully in the hands of a kind,understanding vet. Although it was upsetting it best for them as I had tried vets treatment. There was nothing further which could be done for them and didn't to see them suffer like any pet - big or small. I don't think it was very expensive - around £15 from what I remember.

If your hamster is suffering, it may be the kindest thing but only you can decide that and know when the time is right. It is worth ringing your vets surgery for further advise.

I've had a hammie put to sleep. Like others have said, he was given gas and then injected. He was in pain so I thought it better to let him go peacefully. All others have passed at home. Why don't you speak to your vet and see what they say.

Vibes for hammie.

i have had hamsters put to sleep and also had hasmters who i nursed through their last week here, it is obviously a case of is the hasmter suffering if yo ufeeel yes then pts is kindest option and you need to ensure your vet gives gas before the injection else it can be a traumatic and painful death due to needle placement... please ensure that your vet will give gas before hand and that way they will pass away pain free... could it be something treatable or are you sure it i ss old age? cushings disease and fur miets as well as inner ear and abcesses and hormone dificiency cna affect hasmters and give fur loss

Back