• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

crusting and fur loss under chin?

Nettyi

New Kit
Can anyone please tell me if I should be worried about this? We first noticed that Thumper, our 1 year old french lop had a sore under his chin on a visit to the vet after a very bad fight with Honey. The vet thought the sore was due to him rubbing his chin, marking his scent! We hadn't noticed him do this much before and we haven't seen him do this much since! My son noticed yesterday that the sore under Thumpers chin has become much worse. It has spread right under across his chin, approx 1.5 inches! in a line. The fur has gone from this area and the skin is crusted! I am planning on taking him to the vet tomorrow but wondered if anyone out there had similar experience with their own rabbits and could let me know what to expect?

The rabbits have had to be seperated since fight, with Honey living in the basement and Thumper living in the lounge, so they have not had any contact since!

Thank you to anyone who can help.x

I'd think it's either due to dental problems (which cause the rabbit to dribble) or possibly dermatitis from dunking his chin in his water bowl or even rubbing it on the spout of his water bottle.

Is he eating normally? (i.e. is he eating all his usual foods and not taking longer to eat or dropping food out of his mouth?)

Dunking his chin in his water bowl makes sense!

I will perhaps try him on a water bottle again although his preference is a bowl and see if this makes any difference!

I'd think it's either due to dental problems (which cause the rabbit to dribble) or possibly dermatitis from dunking his chin in his water bowl or even rubbing it on the spout of his water bottle.

Is he eating normally? (i.e. is he eating all his usual foods and not taking longer to eat or dropping food out of his mouth?)

agreed or possibly mites? it could be him scenting everything and causing irritation but i would think this is less likely also some bunnys get messy with water bowls(though i perosnally prefer them to bottles) and this can cause irritation. x

Sorry, only just noticed last part of text.

His eating habbts haven't changed, he still eats for England and I haven't noticed anything dropping out of his mouth. He's a very greedy rabbit!

:wave: Hi! Welcome to the forum! Can you point out to your vet that it could be dental problems? I think it was wrong of your vet to come to the conclusion that he was getting a sore chin because he was scenting things, especially when you hadn't noticed him scenting considering he was and is living right in front of you in your living room...

Sometimes vets who aren;t savvy with rabbits can get these things wrong, and poor little Thumper might have an unacknowledged dental problem.

Back