• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oreo - new vid added pg 7.

x-vic-x

Mama Doe
Following on from this thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=205046

I went to fetch Oreo from the vets on Friday after she had been in for 11 days, she has been diagnosed with EC. She is so wobbly but is managing to move from one end of the cage to the other without falling over.

She is on a 28 day course of panacur and we are on day 13 now, so hopefully we will see some improvement soon.

She is really struggling to eat, but she has had some cabbage and carrot and we are syringe feeding her baby food every 2 hours (we are hoping to start mixing this with mushed up pellets later today). They were only getting about 1/2 a jar of food into her at the vets per day, whereas she has had 2 1/2 jars here since Fiday evening. She must prefere my food.

Despite only meeting her on Friday she is really friendly and lovely. She has a long way to get yet and is still a very poorly girl but I am hoping she will be ok.

I have never had a bunny with EC before so any help appreciated

Last edited:
Aww bless her. :( xx

Sounds like she is in the best place with you - sending lots of vibes from me too xx

I really hopes she recovers soon xx

Is she having daily Metacam too ? This is an essential part of the treatment of EC as it is the inflammatory response to erupting EC spores that cause the clinical symptoms and longterm cellular damage. If she is not having Metacam I would suggest you ask your Vet about it. The Vet may have administered a long-acting corticosteroid (as an anti-inflammatory) when Oreo first became ill. But for ongoing therapy during a non steroidal anti-inflammatory (eg Metacam) would be preferable.

Recovery from EC is possible with appropriate medication and supportive nursing care. But it can take several weeks.

Some pics from today:

Oreo001.jpg

Oreo002.jpg

Poor Oreo :cry:

How is Ginger doing? I guess they've had to be separated?

Sending Oreo millions of vibes. I hope she starts to get better soon.

After a good weekend Oreo doesn't seem to be doing so well this morning. She would only eat about 20ml of food and seems quiet.:(

I have spoken to the vets this morning and they have refused to give us some metacam. They said she had been on rimadyl whilst hospitalised and she shouldn't need a painkiller now.:? They said we just need to be patient. :?

The Metacam would be to treat the inflammation not necessarily pain as such.

Erupting EC spores cause an inflammatory response within the effected cells. It is this inflammatory response that needs to be minimised (by giving daily anti-inflammatories). Could you request that your Vet obtains an opinion re the use of Metacam from Bristol Rabbit Clinic ?

http://www.langfordvets.co.uk/rabbit_disease.htm

My vet said that there has to be a 7 day withholding period after Rimadyl before Metacam can be used.:?:

Im sorry she isnt doing well today Vicky :cry: Sorry the vets arent playing ball :( I couldnt get metacam when i wanted it for Flic when she was poorly :?

Sending tons of vibes xxxx

Back