• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues becoming sanctuaries

luvabun

Warren Veteran
Just reading Snowy's thread about the anonymous parcel where she mentions she has 50 buns in at the mo, mainly old and disabled and it got me pondering. Do some rescues almost become sanctuaries because the cute, young healthy bunnies get adopted pretty quickly, leaving the elderly and disabled ones left behind. I wonder if it reaches a stage where Rescues are really limited in how many they can take in because of the non-rehomables.

I can see that that would be quite a drain on resources due to the medications and repeat vaccinations etc.

Not a critisism, just me thinking aloud :oops:

Just reading Snowy's thread about the anonymous parcel where she mentions she has 50 buns in at the mo, mainly old and disabled and it got me pondering. Do some rescues almost become sanctuaries because the cute, young healthy bunnies get adopted pretty quickly, leaving the elderly and disabled ones left behind. I wonder if it reaches a stage where Rescues are really limited in how many they can take in because of the non-rehomables.

I can see that that would be quite a drain on resources due to the medications and repeat vaccinations etc.

Not a critisism, just me thinking aloud :oops:

I was talking to her just now, she has little time to come on here as many of the bunnies need intensive care so they have no time to set up fundraisers etc :(
She was overjoyed with the parcel as they rarely get donations. The old buns in particular loved the 'green' hays :love: and the wicker balls, although i would imagine any donation would be gratefully recieved.
I am sending some things down for her when payday arrives and i'm sure if we all tried we could donate something, even if it's just one thing when payday arrives (if you're broke like me! :lol:)
It is a wonderful thing they are doing keeping these bunnies happy whilst they are sick and some in their last days.

A very valid question Jill and yes it seems that a lot of the bunnies just end up staying as noone wants to take them on.

Some of the volunteers and trustees of ARC were only discussing this yesterday as we have quite a number of rabbits that have been with us for so long that they look like they won't leave. Some don't even get a mention on the website any more (about to change) so people don't realise the underlying cost of the unhomeable buns. Cost in terms of the foster space the permanently take out of the active system and the cost in increasing vet bills.

I think that the situation could possibly get worse as folks who might once have considered a rabbit that had some issues or was elderly, no longer do because they are worried about the costs and time needed for their care in the years ahead.

We are about to start a sponsorship scheme to try and raise some much needed monetary help because of the buns we can't rehome.

It's such a sad situation.

Personally, I know I wouldn't be able to take on an bunny with existing medical conditions as I simply wouldn't be able to afford it on top of my others. Plus I just don't have the time to provide that level of care at the moment. Obviously if one of my buns, touch wood, became seriously ill I would have to make ends meet and somehow provide the time. But right now it's a commitment I can't make and it makes me feel incredibly guilty. :(

Yes all rescues that have a non euthanase policy end up becoming a bit of a sanctuary too

Some start out as sanctuaries, some don't

We have 9 rabbits that are permanents, most of them dental bunnies that people just wouldn't take on..Hettie has been with us for over 3 years..we don't advertise the fact we are part sanctuary..perhaps we ought to!

We also have 4 more that have behavioural issues so look to be staying:(

I think alot of the rescues on here are the same..and yes it could get to the point where you are full of un-homables.

Most sanctuaries don't rehome, Like Liz at Rainbow Rabbits, but some are a mixture of both

Yes all rescues that have a non euthanase policy end up becoming a bit of a sanctuary too

Some start out as sanctuaries, some don't

We have 9 rabbits that are permanents, most of them dental bunnies that people just wouldn't take on..Hettie has been with us for over 3 years..we don't advertise the fact we are part sanctuary..perhaps we ought to!

We also have 4 more that have behavioural issues so look to be staying:(

I think alot of the rescues on here are the same..and yes it could get to the point where you are full of un-homables.

Most sanctuaries don't rehome, Like Liz at Rainbow Rabbits, but some are a mixture of both

Do you think it's got worse Jill?

I wonder if rescues get buns now that would once have been left to perish in their previous owners gardens. Maybe it's just that we see more rabbits that once wouldn't have been lucky enough to find shelter. Maybe as more people become aware of rescues, they try harder to find help/offload (depending how you look at it). Or, is it that more bunnies are in exisitence and more people take less care of them hence the special care/dental type rabbits that are now becoming common place?

Helen I think it has got worse due to the number of rabbits being traded nowadays..

Also people who cannot afford or don't want to bother with a rabbit with problems are sometimes now aware of places that will take them rather than having them pts, which is better for the rabbits

We have actually picked up rabbits that were due to go to a different place as we are aware that they stood a good chance of being put down there due to their teeth or aggression..(in fact that is how Hettie and the other 18 that came in with her arrived)..so we sometimes know we may end up with permanents
most recent was Judy and Heidi..both described as very aggressive..we had told the owners we were full and they would have to wait ..but when we knew the rabbits probs..and where they would be going if we didn't take them..I went to fetch them
Heidi is fine..just a needs speying bunny..Judy on the other hand is a real..err..." character!" :shock:

I just could not put to sleep a rabbit due to it needing a dental now and then..or one that will guard it's food bowl, etc

yup ...just as jill has said ..

weve got 3 permenants and 2 pairs and a single that might well end up staying ..:(

they take up valuable space ...but i dont see any other solution .. i would rather they stayed here rather than the alternative ...we NEVER put to sleep unless there is a very serious medical reason to do so .

I think Hopper Haven in the West Mids is probably one of the biggest sanctuary/rescues. I remember Louise saying that the majority of their rabbits are sanctuary ones.

So sad that a few of the Rescues on here confirm my concerns :( . I wonder what people are doing with their unwanted buns.

Presumably one of the 'uses' of a forum like this is that difficult and medical cases MAY be adopted by someone if they are advertised here - as there is a pool of people who are more willing/able to take on disabled or long-term care rabbits?

I have taken on at least three with known long term problems from rescues (one bad dental, one lungs and one with three legs - though bless her she wasn't a problem for years until it finally started affecting her other legs).

And I took on Sage from a pet shop who were desperate as she had major problems/malformations but they did not want to PTS, and of course Blackberry who had had EC strokes in the pet shop and is now blind and deaf.

So if I am a typical RUer then there is much more chance of an adoption from here for those trickier buns:). Also of course a lot of us have bunny expert vets - which helps!

We pick up the aggressives that have been brought in to our vets for PTS....luckily the other vets let our vet know and she calls us....90% of the time they can be rehomed but we're full at the moment sadly as I know of at least two I'd love to 'take off' a rescues hands :(

Is there a shortage of people to take in those that are truely aggressive and not just needing a spay??

We pick up the aggressives that have been brought in to our vets for PTS....luckily the other vets let our vet know and she calls us....90% of the time they can be rehomed but we're full at the moment sadly as I know of at least two I'd love to 'take off' a rescues hands :(

Is there a shortage of people to take in those that are truely aggressive and not just needing a spay??

I used to know someone who took in aggresive giants (he was a BIG man but SO gentle!) but he and his wife are now retired from their jobs and are gradually winding down their rabbit keeping (not taking in anymore) as they want to travel in their retirement. Such a shame . . he was very good with them.

Presumably one of the 'uses' of a forum like this is that difficult and medical cases MAY be adopted by someone if they are advertised here - as there is a pool of people who are more willing/able to take on disabled or long-term care rabbits?

That's true. I know many rescues don't advertise elderly rabbits, so I've often had a hell of a job finding partners for my existing elderly rabbits.

Yes, we have just over 60 sanctuary bunnies, the majority of which have health issues.
There are a few healthy ones that became sanctuary residents as they were continually over looked for adoption, and after being lonely buns for such a long time their well being was considered more important, so they were bonded with long termers for company.

As we always take back a Hopper bunny we do get buns returned that have developed health problems down the line, or come back to us as older bunnies that are unlikely to secure a new home.

I take my hat off to Louise on this issue though - when she takes a bun into the rescue it really does have a home for life as she will see it through thick and thin.

This is very true and why so many of our bunnies have been single for up to 6 months.

I have a couple of special need does coming on nicely Liz;) One is a sooty fawn dwarf lop, Monica, 4 years old, quite aggressive, and Loobey Lou, a white with markings dwarf lop, so sweet, also 4 years. She has two abscesses on her head that need to remain open for life.

But, it is true to say if a rescue has been going for a number of years we do have so many special needs we are unable to home. I do not usually have problems with single buns, it is the pairs, and we have one trio.

I hate to say this, but I can understand why some rescues 'cherry pick' and only take on healthy/friendly rabbits, because I know I often have to say no to bunnies coming in, and I have quite a number here, it appears, for life!

I used to run the rescue with someone else who would always cherry pick, which was one of the reasons I went on my own. But, I have to say, I do not consider my rescue to be the place for a special needs bunny to live out its days, I usually have 90+ here (and lots of other pets!), and I fear I cannot give them the special care/attention they need.

So, it brings me back to the thought that if I was the type who could have buns PTS because they were unhomeable, I would actually be able to help a lot more. (And be less stressed:lol::lol:).

Another problem I have is that all my time is spent looking after the animals, and two men who live here, sorry not exciting gossip, my hubby and elderly father, and believe you me, they have special needs too!! But then, I do not have the time to advertise and update RR as much as I wish.

I am sure there are many rescues in the same position, plenty we do not even know exist, and I am just so grateful to Liz and Jane for running with two of my major 'incidents' last year, I was really wondering how I could keep going, and if it were not for their kindness, and the kindness of these forum members I am sure I would have gone under.

Alice

I have a couple of special need does coming on nicely Liz;) One is a sooty fawn dwarf lop, Monica, 4 years old, quite aggressive, and Loobey Lou, a white with markings dwarf lop, so sweet, also 4 years. She has two abscesses on her head that need to remain open for life.

Alice

I may be in touch with you about Loobey lou if is she is still available in a few weeks. I need to get Dave through his neuter, which wont be straight forward so am waiting for the the weather to be a little warmer :wave:

I may be in touch with you about Loobey lou if is she is still available in a few weeks. I need to get Dave through his neuter, which wont be straight forward so am waiting for the the weather to be a little warmer :wave:

ohh and you know if you need transport im up and down glos to slougbh regularly and have been itching to visit liz!!! :)

Back