PDA

View Full Version : I've had to separate Jose and Rainbow! U/D Separated again :0(

sacol4940
14-03-2010, 12:40 AM
I came home about half an hour ago from a party and went upstairs to get the bunny bowls to put their veg in. When Jose and Rainbow heard the bowls clattering they starting chasing each round in a circle like they normally do - except this time it turned into chasing, biting, jumping in the air over one another, grunting, spraying. So i pulled them apart and kept them apart for a bit (but still in the same pen), then let them go back together. All was fine for a couple of minutes and then it happened again. So i pulled them apart for a bit and then let them back together again and it happened again.

I'm currently sitting here with a scared Rainbow on my lap and I dont know what to do

I've got nowhere to put him overnight. The top to my indoor cage is in the loft and the OH is asleep and i cant get in the loft myself. I cant leave him anywhere cos he'll chew. I cant even put him in the bathroom as there's a hole in the boiler cupboard which he could get into.

What am I supposed to do? All I've got is a carrier that he could go in :(

Lillian
14-03-2010, 01:05 AM
No ideas. Just wanted to say i'm sorry :( *hugs*

Really hope you can work something out, animals always know when its the worst time to mess about :roll:

Gem
14-03-2010, 01:11 AM
He'll be okay in the carrier overnight, just make sure he's got some water :)

Has anything changed recently that might be causing the issues?

Sorry they've had to be split :(

ETA: Just an idea, but do you leave the bowls with them after they've finished? Might it be worth taking the bowls out when they've finished so they don't see you coming to collect them or hear them being moved.....to me personally it sounds like they're getting over excited over the sound/movement of the bowls causing the 'fighting'.

Is there an option to not use the bowls for the veg so they have nothing in effect to get excited over?

sacol4940
14-03-2010, 01:16 AM
thanks Lillian

Rainbow seems to have calmed down a bit now, he's snuggled in my dressing gown bless him, he's even grooming my dressing gown :lol:

It looks like he's going to have to go in the carrier for now :( I wont be able to bond them back together until next weekend :( I'll get Adam to get the top to the indoor cage down tomorrow when he gets home from work, but in the meantime i'll let him out as much as possible, which will probably be most of the day

I know this is far from ideal, but i dont have another choice, sorry everyone

sacol4940
14-03-2010, 01:20 AM
He'll be okay in the carrier overnight, just make sure he's got some water :)

Has anything changed recently that might be causing the issues?

Sorry they've had to be split :(

ETA: Just an idea, but do you leave the bowls with them after they've finished? Might it be worth taking the bowls out when they've finished so they don't see you coming to collect them or hear them being moved.....to me personally it sounds like they're getting over excited over the sound/movement of the bowls causing the 'fighting'.

Is there an option to not use the bowls for the veg so they have nothing in effect to get excited over?

The bowls werent in the cages, they were on the side in the bunny room. They do the chasing thing in the morning when they know pellets are coming too, as soon as I walk in their room in the morning they start chasing :?

I've got no idea whats caused it, I just came home and it started :(

Gem
14-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Hmmm, I'm not really sure what to suggest then, it sounds like they just get over excited about their yummy food :(

There must be a way round this, lets hope some one else can offer some suggestions ~ Rainbow and Jose are too cute to be causing all this trouble :love:

sacol4940
14-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Hmmm, I'm not really sure what to suggest then, it sounds like they just get over excited about their yummy food :(

There must be a way round this, lets hope some one else can offer some suggestions ~ Rainbow and Jose are too cute to be causing all this trouble :love:

Everything always happens to me :(

I wish I could just fall asleep here in the computer chair with Rainbow still all snuggly :love:

giantbunnymummy
14-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Sorry you've had to split them :(

Fingers crossed for you that they can get back together again soon.

sacol4940
14-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Sorry you've had to split them :(

Fingers crossed for you that they can get back together again soon.

Thanks, I just hope i can get them back together because I dont have room for 1 pair and 2 singles :(

poppymoon
14-03-2010, 10:14 AM
sorry to hear this. have you tried them together again yet?

sacol4940
14-03-2010, 10:17 AM
sorry to hear this. have you tried them together again yet?

No i'm too scared too :(

poppymoon
14-03-2010, 10:19 AM
:(
did you not bond them originally?

sacol4940
14-03-2010, 10:21 AM
:(
did you not bond them originally?

Yeah, but there wasnt any sort of fighting or agression when i bonded them, they just kinda ignored each other

I've never seen them act like they did last night :(

poppymoon
14-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Yeah, but there wasnt any sort of fighting or agression when i bonded them, they just kinda ignored each other

I've never seen them act like they did last night :(

it is a horrible thing to see :( are they usually ok together or do they always seem indifferent towards each other?

sacol4940
14-03-2010, 10:26 AM
it is a horrible thing to see :( are they usually ok together or do they always seem indifferent towards each other?

they've never been "loved up"

They're so different, Jose prefers to be on the go constantly, whereas Rainbow just wants to flop somewhere and chill. So they tend to do their own thing

They groom each other occasionally, but there's never been any real snuggling

poppymoon
14-03-2010, 10:31 AM
they've never been "loved up"

They're so different, Jose prefers to be on the go constantly, whereas Rainbow just wants to flop somewhere and chill. So they tend to do their own thing

They groom each other occasionally, but there's never been any real snuggling

i'm sorry. hopefully someone will be able to advise you. i'm the wrong person for this one i'm afraid as gawd knows i tried hard to rebond mine (with nerves of steel, a totally different house, a heavy duty towel and water spray:?) and it got me nowhere.

maybe ask jill (honeybunny) for advise as i get the feeling that if a bond can happen, she's the lady:D (and if its a no win situation, she accepts that).

sacol4940
14-03-2010, 10:34 AM
i'm sorry. hopefully someone will be able to advise you. i'm the wrong person for this one i'm afraid as gawd knows i tried hard to rebond mine (with nerves of steel, a totally different house, a heavy duty towel and water spray:?) and it got me nowhere.

maybe ask jill (honeybunny) for advise as i get the feeling that if a bond can happen, she's the lady:D (and if its a no win situation, she accepts that).

Thanks, I might drop her a PM :)

I'd send them away to be re-bonded, but I just dont have the spare cash to give as a donation at the moment :(

If I cant rebond them, then my only option is to try and bond Rainbow in with Paddy and Peaches and then have Jose as a single bun - which I know most people dont approve of, but like I said, it'd be my only option and she's more of a "people bun" than a "bunny bun" anyway

donnamt
14-03-2010, 10:36 AM
hope they make up soon :(

Snowberry
14-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks, I might drop her a PM :)

I'd send them away to be re-bonded, but I just dont have the spare cash to give as a donation at the moment :(

If I cant rebond them, then my only option is to try and bond Rainbow in with Paddy and Peaches and then have Jose as a single bun - which I know most people dont approve of, but like I said, it'd be my only option and she's more of a "people bun" than a "bunny bun" anyway

i know how hard it is when bonds go wrong. I have 3 singles after Snow and Strawbs fell out and we couldnt get a pair out of the 3.

Snowdrop will always be a single bun now. She is much happier on her own.

poppymoon
14-03-2010, 10:41 AM
you know your buns best sarah so don't be made to feel bad about whatever decision you have to make:D

i would love to have a pal for esme right now - and eric if he'd know what a rabbit was instead of a human and i could find a placid enough bun - but i have to be realistic regarding finances and right now i can't afford to take on another bun. i'm working on that one.......

honeybunny
14-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Wendy..we have a lovely little nethie doe..and a nethie boy..from different homes..due in in a week and a half's time..Am I being cruel telling you that?!;)

poppymoon
14-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Wendy..we have a lovely little nethie doe..and a nethie boy..from different homes..due in in a week and a half's time..Am I being cruel telling you that?!;)

yes jill - you are EVIL!!!! unless you do a buy one get one free offer;):lol:

Daisylop
14-03-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about the bunnies falling out :( wonder if it was an overexcited thing that went too far :? My outdoor pair have been a bit "chasy and humpy" the past few days,I think its a spring thing.Have you tried putting them both in the carrier and going for a drive/walk around the house? They're quite recently bonded arent they?- mine took a little while to become snuggly,preferring to do their own thing a lot of the time.
Best of luck with the rebonding!

sacol4940
14-03-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about the bunnies falling out :( wonder if it was an overexcited thing that went too far :? My outdoor pair have been a bit "chasy and humpy" the past few days,I think its a spring thing.Have you tried putting them both in the carrier and going for a drive/walk around the house? They're quite recently bonded arent they?- mine took a little while to become snuggly,preferring to do their own thing a lot of the time.
Best of luck with the rebonding!

These 2 are my original pair and have been bonded since October - not sure if that's classed as recent?

Hanlou
14-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi! Am so sorry you've had to seperate them. :( xx

I hope you can sort something out.

Rexbun
14-03-2010, 03:35 PM
So sorry you had to seperate them after all this time :(

Is it worth contacting Abi who tried to bond the 4 of them for advice as she has met both of them?

Hope things get better soon soon - know you always do your best for your bunnies soon.

sacol4940
14-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Well I've just put them back together and they're fine with each other :?

Jose's been miserable all day but she's now perked up :D

I think last night has been fogotten about already :lol:

SuzieBlue
14-03-2010, 04:58 PM
I have a bonded pair that were put together in October, and just this week I had a similar incident where they started chasing and fur-pulling. This was the first time they had ever fought even since bonding, as they instantly fell in love. I had to separate for a few hours as Phoebe, my 6 month-old doe kept mounting and biting Nermal, my (neutered) year-old buck. (Phoebe's booked in on Wednesday for her spay - I haven't told her yet....;))

I think it's partly the time of year for it, as they've both been a bit mental since spring arrived! Hope you can get them back together ok - I found separating them just for a wee while gave them both enough time to calm down, and they really seemed to miss each other. I kept them in separate rooms so they couldn't even see each other, and when they went back together there was lots of grooming and tooth-purring. :D

hellsdarkrose
14-03-2010, 05:12 PM
That's great news. I hope they continue to get on :D

sacol4940
14-03-2010, 05:29 PM
They're in a carrier ATM an Im taking them with me wherever I go in the house :lol:

Hanlou
14-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Yay! I hope they settle down and behave themselves now lol.

Daisylop
14-03-2010, 05:40 PM
fingers crossed all will be well from now on!!! I do think spring has a lot to do with it.:D:D:D

honeybunny
14-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Hi

have been out so only just got your pm
Seems you've got them back together, but I do agree with others this time of year can cause spats between bonds..so just keep and eye on them.
get in touch if things go downhill again..but will keep fingers crossed they are fine!

sacol4940
14-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Hi

have been out so only just got your pm
Seems you've got them back together, but I do agree with others this time of year can cause spats between bonds..so just keep and eye on them.
get in touch if things go downhill again..but will keep fingers crossed they are fine!

Thanks Jill, will do :D

Becky86
14-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Sarah you shouldve called me this morning! You couldve bought them over and id of re-bonded them here :)

Pairs are no problem, i can normally manage that ;) Ive got Phoenix, Indi and Kylo coming next week for bonding :love:

Glad theyre ok now :) xXx

sacol4940
14-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Sarah you shouldve called me this morning! You couldve bought them over and id of re-bonded them here :)

Pairs are no problem, i can normally manage that ;) Ive got Phoenix, Indi and Kylo coming next week for bonding :love:

Glad theyre ok now :) xXx

Thanks Becky, I did think about ringing you, but didnt know what time you'd be up and with it being Mothers Day I didnt know if you'd be out somewhere too :oops:

We've just been to Adams nans for a bit, so we took them with us in the carrier for a drive. I've just cleaned the floor of their pen with vinegar (my house smells lovely now :roll: :lol: ) so once thats dry, i'm going to put them back in.

Fingers crossed!

sacol4940
15-03-2010, 06:38 AM
I've had to separate them again :( they just started fighting again and Rainbows fur is everywhere in their pen :(

Rainbows shaking again too because he's scared so he's now lying between me and Adam in bed :lol: he's being as good as gold though :D

but now I'm back to square one. I don't know what I'm going to do with them :( they've been fine since yesterday

LoopyLouie
15-03-2010, 06:40 AM
I've had to separate them again :( they just started fighting again and Rainbows fur is everywhere in their pen :(

Rainbows shaking again too because he's scared so he's now lying between me and Adam in bed :lol: he's being as good as gold though :D

but now I'm back to square one. I don't know what I'm going to do with them :( they've been fine since yesterday

I'm sorry this has happened, I'd say you need to go right back to sqaure one with a rebond. It's a shame you can't keep them completely separate for a while so they can forget they were fighting.

sacol4940
15-03-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm sorry this has happened, I'd say you need to go right back to sqaure one with a rebond. It's a shame you can't keep them completely separate for a while so they can forget they were fighting.

They are going away to be re-bonded on Wednesday night - fingers crossed it all goes ok! They'll be kept separate until then

Gemmapookie
15-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Hi,
My buns Mimi and Timmy are going through exactly the same thing at the moment :? And just like yours it seems to be at its worse at feeding times, especially in the mornings, literally the second they hear my alarm go off!! I havent seperated them because although Ive found a few tufts of fur around it doesnt seem to go any further than nipping, chasing and grunting, and luckily for me Mimi will eventually run away if it gets too aggressive, thus ending the fight (of course I usually put a stop to it but I had to leave them to see what happened coz I was worried about leaving them when I was at work etc!)
I really do think it's the time of year, Mimi is especially grumpy at the moment! I hope to find a way around it, I think the idea of removing their bowls after feeding is a good idea. Anything that will keep things calm and not set off an argument!
Good luck with your buns, hope the bonding goes well and lets hope they all calm down with the arrival of summer :roll:
xxxx