• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've had to separate Jose and Rainbow! U/D Separated again :0(

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
I came home about half an hour ago from a party and went upstairs to get the bunny bowls to put their veg in. When Jose and Rainbow heard the bowls clattering they starting chasing each round in a circle like they normally do - except this time it turned into chasing, biting, jumping in the air over one another, grunting, spraying. So i pulled them apart and kept them apart for a bit (but still in the same pen), then let them go back together. All was fine for a couple of minutes and then it happened again. So i pulled them apart for a bit and then let them back together again and it happened again.

I'm currently sitting here with a scared Rainbow on my lap and I dont know what to do

I've got nowhere to put him overnight. The top to my indoor cage is in the loft and the OH is asleep and i cant get in the loft myself. I cant leave him anywhere cos he'll chew. I cant even put him in the bathroom as there's a hole in the boiler cupboard which he could get into.

What am I supposed to do? All I've got is a carrier that he could go in :(

Last edited:
No ideas. Just wanted to say i'm sorry :( *hugs*

Really hope you can work something out, animals always know when its the worst time to mess about :roll:

He'll be okay in the carrier overnight, just make sure he's got some water :)

Has anything changed recently that might be causing the issues?

Sorry they've had to be split :(

ETA: Just an idea, but do you leave the bowls with them after they've finished? Might it be worth taking the bowls out when they've finished so they don't see you coming to collect them or hear them being moved.....to me personally it sounds like they're getting over excited over the sound/movement of the bowls causing the 'fighting'.

Is there an option to not use the bowls for the veg so they have nothing in effect to get excited over?

Last edited:
thanks Lillian

Rainbow seems to have calmed down a bit now, he's snuggled in my dressing gown bless him, he's even grooming my dressing gown :lol:

It looks like he's going to have to go in the carrier for now :( I wont be able to bond them back together until next weekend :( I'll get Adam to get the top to the indoor cage down tomorrow when he gets home from work, but in the meantime i'll let him out as much as possible, which will probably be most of the day

I know this is far from ideal, but i dont have another choice, sorry everyone

He'll be okay in the carrier overnight, just make sure he's got some water :)

Has anything changed recently that might be causing the issues?

Sorry they've had to be split :(

ETA: Just an idea, but do you leave the bowls with them after they've finished? Might it be worth taking the bowls out when they've finished so they don't see you coming to collect them or hear them being moved.....to me personally it sounds like they're getting over excited over the sound/movement of the bowls causing the 'fighting'.

Is there an option to not use the bowls for the veg so they have nothing in effect to get excited over?

The bowls werent in the cages, they were on the side in the bunny room. They do the chasing thing in the morning when they know pellets are coming too, as soon as I walk in their room in the morning they start chasing :?

I've got no idea whats caused it, I just came home and it started :(

Hmmm, I'm not really sure what to suggest then, it sounds like they just get over excited about their yummy food :(

There must be a way round this, lets hope some one else can offer some suggestions ~ Rainbow and Jose are too cute to be causing all this trouble :love:

Hmmm, I'm not really sure what to suggest then, it sounds like they just get over excited about their yummy food :(

There must be a way round this, lets hope some one else can offer some suggestions ~ Rainbow and Jose are too cute to be causing all this trouble :love:

Everything always happens to me :(

I wish I could just fall asleep here in the computer chair with Rainbow still all snuggly :love:

Yeah, but there wasnt any sort of fighting or agression when i bonded them, they just kinda ignored each other

I've never seen them act like they did last night :(

it is a horrible thing to see :( are they usually ok together or do they always seem indifferent towards each other?

it is a horrible thing to see :( are they usually ok together or do they always seem indifferent towards each other?

they've never been "loved up"

They're so different, Jose prefers to be on the go constantly, whereas Rainbow just wants to flop somewhere and chill. So they tend to do their own thing

They groom each other occasionally, but there's never been any real snuggling

they've never been "loved up"

They're so different, Jose prefers to be on the go constantly, whereas Rainbow just wants to flop somewhere and chill. So they tend to do their own thing

They groom each other occasionally, but there's never been any real snuggling

i'm sorry. hopefully someone will be able to advise you. i'm the wrong person for this one i'm afraid as gawd knows i tried hard to rebond mine (with nerves of steel, a totally different house, a heavy duty towel and water spray:?) and it got me nowhere.

maybe ask jill (honeybunny) for advise as i get the feeling that if a bond can happen, she's the lady:D (and if its a no win situation, she accepts that).

i'm sorry. hopefully someone will be able to advise you. i'm the wrong person for this one i'm afraid as gawd knows i tried hard to rebond mine (with nerves of steel, a totally different house, a heavy duty towel and water spray:?) and it got me nowhere.

maybe ask jill (honeybunny) for advise as i get the feeling that if a bond can happen, she's the lady:D (and if its a no win situation, she accepts that).

Thanks, I might drop her a PM :)

I'd send them away to be re-bonded, but I just dont have the spare cash to give as a donation at the moment :(

If I cant rebond them, then my only option is to try and bond Rainbow in with Paddy and Peaches and then have Jose as a single bun - which I know most people dont approve of, but like I said, it'd be my only option and she's more of a "people bun" than a "bunny bun" anyway

Thanks, I might drop her a PM :)

I'd send them away to be re-bonded, but I just dont have the spare cash to give as a donation at the moment :(

If I cant rebond them, then my only option is to try and bond Rainbow in with Paddy and Peaches and then have Jose as a single bun - which I know most people dont approve of, but like I said, it'd be my only option and she's more of a "people bun" than a "bunny bun" anyway

i know how hard it is when bonds go wrong. I have 3 singles after Snow and Strawbs fell out and we couldnt get a pair out of the 3.

Snowdrop will always be a single bun now. She is much happier on her own.

you know your buns best sarah so don't be made to feel bad about whatever decision you have to make:D

i would love to have a pal for esme right now - and eric if he'd know what a rabbit was instead of a human and i could find a placid enough bun - but i have to be realistic regarding finances and right now i can't afford to take on another bun. i'm working on that one.......

Back