• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet bum and back legs with urine

jassie

Warren Scout
Ling Jai has not been using his litter tray in his cage in the last couple of months it seems even when he is locked in over night, he urinates now on the surrounding carpet in his room and he tends to sit on his bum becuase of his week back legs when he goes and pretty much wets his bum and back legs with it, I'm going to have an overhall of his room this week to lay down wooden boards on the carpeted areas to prevent him urinating on it which worked a couple of years ago, I also suspect he tends not to choose to enter his cage now as his back makes it difficult so I am going to cut a larger opening so theres no obstruction, but the main concern is the wet bum and back legs scenario other than laying down saw dust in all possible urinating spots what more should I do as the urine will eventually scold his skin:(

im no expert on this but it doesnt sound too good to me. Wet bums can cause all sorts of problems.
Maybe give him a warm bunny bath? clean up his bum a bit. make sure you keep him warm and dry asap after tho. bunnies dont normally like baths, well mine doesnt. but you have to get that bum clean somehow..

the problem is it'll be wet again as soon as he goes again, I need to work a solution keep him clean and stop him from wetting himself, he absolutely hates baths too, he's only ever had 3 in his 12 years and they were real escapades:roll:

hmm...maybe a trip to the vet will come up with some solutions..12 years is pretty old for a bun! you must take awesome care of him :)

I've just had a late night look at his bum before his bedtime, his pooh and peepee exit holes are fairly clean he still manages to clean it seems, but it is the tail area and legs which are getting the soaking, I noticed some redness on the leg so he will be going to see the vet for a thorough trim and some cream which hes previously had on the inside of his ankles:wave:

Back