• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit colour

the180boy

New Kit
hi,
we have a blue female lionhead & a fawn male lionhead.
if we mate these does anyone know what colour the young might be?????
the fawn came from a black male & black female, we don't know the parent colour for the blue????

hi,
the fawn came from a black male & black female, we don't know the parent colour for the blue????

And whyyyy, pray tell, are you wanting to breed your rabbits.........???

No idea, sorry......................

watchdrama8jm.gif

hi,

Purple, obviously, with green stripes!

No, seriously, if you don't even know your buns' heritage you really shouldn't be breeding from them. Breeding needs to be done very carefully using only animals with a clean genetic background. :)

Not again, why on earth are you breeding from your rabbits? Have you done it before? Do you know the history and that they aren't related for example? Do you have homes lined up for the kits or can you accomodate them all males and females separately if you can't rehome ? Are you prepared to lose your doe and the kits? Are your rabbits vaccinated and in good health, no genetic defects likely to be passed on? If you can answer yes to all those questions then you are in a position to start to consider the outcome of breeding them but, the colours really isn't important I don't think - well maybe to some people but, then they aren't necessarily looking for a rabbit for the right reasons if they are that bothered about the colour over temperament and health which is far more important.

well thanks for all the negative response's this site is oviously not interested in giving any kind of helpful advice or answers when asked for.
if you lot are so much against rabbit breeding why bother to own such wonderful little animals, as for rescue centre rabbits you can never be sure of the back round or temprament of these so to go to a breeder where you can see & meet the parents is far better than getting a possible inbred animal.
i think you lot need to chill out and give practable advise otherwise there's no point in having a forum.:evil:

well thanks for all the negative response's this site is oviously not interested in giving any kind of helpful advice or answers when asked for.
if you lot are so much against rabbit breeding why bother to own such wonderful little animals, as for rescue centre rabbits you can never be sure of the back round or temprament of these so to go to a breeder where you can see & meet the parents is far better than getting a possible inbred animal.
i think you lot need to chill out and give practable advise otherwise there's no point in having a forum.:evil:

The parents show no indicator of the kits temperament!

At a rescue centre, their personalities are already formed and showing!!
This forum is a rescue based forum :roll:

Breeding from two rabbits you do not know the genetic history of for 3 generations is a very bad idea.

Lionheads in particular, are a breed prone to dental and tear duct problems due to their face shape. Which is a reason you should not breed them.

Why add to the 33,000 rabbits in rescue every year?

Can you afford an emergency caesarian at £300 should it go wrong?
The time to handrear the kits, feeding them every 2 hours?
The space to seperate males and females away from mum and each other?

If you say you have homes lined up, that is X amount of homes that have been taken from potential rescue rabbits.

All in all, don't breed!

Oh dear who needs to chill out now? You haven't answered any of the questions ? People aren't against breeding full stop but, sadly rabbits are often thought of as easy to breed and they are not necessarily. Most people would feel the same about any species of animal aswell at the moment I'd imagine considering with the credit crunch so many are ending up dumped at rescues because people underestimate the expense of animals. People are extremely helpful on this forum to people who genuinely care about their pets, the reason people get upset with random questions like yours is that without irresponsible breeding there wouldn't be so many sat in rescues or in hutches at the bottom of peoples gardens living miserable lives, most back yard breeders also don't have sufficient funds, space or time to do a good job looking after their animals. They use them to make money or for their pleasure as a 'hobby'.

The scenario you mentioned regarding getting a bunny from a breeder over a rescue rabbit is contradictatory to say the least, most of the rabbits in rescues have come from breeders and they are not likely to be bred from once they go through a rescue environment because they will be neutered.

If you breed your rabbits and you are not happy with them will you cull them? This is something a lot of breeders do aswell in pursuit of their hobby, some even eat their 'stock' - if I were you i would think a bit more about the subject before you make assumptions about the people on this forum and their responses to you - I would also think seriously about entering into the world of breeding rabbits, from what I have learnt so far it is a strange set of values in a lot of cases, edited to add that the rabbits welfare is at the bottom of the list of reasons for breeding usually aswell.

Last edited:
:? oh dear... i think if you're breeding buns just for a certain colour that doesnt bode well at all (if you werent you wouldnt have aske). each bun, regardless of colour/size has it own peronality. have you bred before?? do you know how much work its gonna take?? i have 3 buns and they have me running around all over the place, i couldnt imagine looking after new ones as well.... i really think you need to think long and hard about this. do your research and have home lined up before you even mate them....

(i know everyone,me included, thinks this is a stupid idea but if they are gonna do it REGARDLESS.... :cry:)

I think the reason for the negative responses is that many of us on here are rescues, fosterers, or adoptive bunny parents, and we tend to see irrasponsible breeders as the cause of the mess. You mentioned you haven't seen the parents of one of your rabbits? Therefore you won't know what you're breeding from, and it is not responsible to do so.

I'm sure nobody wanted to upset you, it's just you don't seem to have thought this through, like so many hundreds of others.

Back