• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes

shelley1977

Warren Scout
Last night for the 2nd time a fox tried to get my buns.Luckily it just tore up the cover as my hutches are secure.The thing is im moving out to the countryside soon and i am after advice on detering foxes and other wild nasties that want my buns for tea.

Shelley

TBH you may well find it is LESS of a problem in the countryside. Country fixes are often more nervous of humans and lights etc and are also a sparcer population.

Having said that do still use al the precautions (good mesh, bolted firm hutches, hutches inside aviary runs, slabbed bases to runs, foxwatches and if necessary electric bungee/wire around bases.)

Thanks for the replies.I will be getting a fox watch and i am thinking of using a shed to keep hutches in. Im wondering what other creature i might have to keep an eye out for.

Shelley

I agree that it seems foxes are more of a problem in built up areas. I live near woods and have never seen a fox in my garden and my nan who lived here for 30 odd years hadn't either. Im not saying we will never get foxes but it seems people in urban areas seem to see them a lot more. I really worry about foxes getting my buns though :(.

I live in a village surrounded by countryside and I have had less problems here than when I lived in Birmingham, although I wouldn't be complacent about it or take any chances as have been told there is alot around.

The only other creature I can think of to keep an eye on if there are local birds of prey such as buzzards, especially if you have small bunnies.

Hope you move goes well :wave:

I'm in total agreement about rural foxes, being less of a menace as long as you don't make it easy for them.
I'm finding it soooo difficult to protect my house bun when he's out, it's not true. I'm at the edge of a large town. It was much easier in the country.

Back