• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

MINK in the garden!!!

PLumfy

Young Bun
Last night I saw what I thought was a massive weasel in the garden...after much research and a visit from RSPCA warden it turns out to be a mink, and a bloody big black one, which are apparently vicious rabbit killers.

Luckily my Buns were locked away for the night (they are usualy free range in garden and house). The mink has been running free around our garden all day and is extremely bold. We captured it ready for the RSPCA but it got out. It doesn't hide, it just strolls around as if it owns the place. Poor George and Sugar have been locked in all day :(

Its still terrorising us...traps have been set to capture it but it's too busy sniffing round after my babies. Does anyone have any experience of minks???

If we can capture it the RCPCA will take it away and unfortunately they will have to put it to sleep because it isn't a native to UK.

Plumfy x

i would call the RSPCA to come and catch it.
They should be able to catch it with something, like a pole.

Hope you get rid of it soon :(
Poor bunnies xx

hope you can get rid of it, i remember seeing something similiar walking in my neighbours garden, it got under the gte, that was about 5years ago now though

:shock: oh my gosh. If they aren't native where's it come from? (sorry for being dumb :oops:) I hope you can catch it soon. What an awful worry :shock:

We had a creature like that here a few years ago.It even tried to get in the cat flap:shock::shock:
Even my cats were like:shock::shock::shock: and run off.
Luckily we never saw it again.

I'll let you know what happens. Right now I'm sitting in the kitchen and everytime the outside (movement sensitive) flood lights come on in the garden I look out and see the big ****** running about. It even come up to the lounge french window and peers in.

Until I see it's caught I wont be able to let George and Sugar out as I will never know for sure it has gone.

Our garden is rabbit proof to keep our buns in and the wild rabbits out but minks are excellent climbers so it's obviously hanging round cos it knows my buns are here.

Please please please minky go after the smelly fish the trap man has left for you......

I understand you must be worried as its in your garden, but is the only course of action pts. Are there not any mink sanctuaries in the UK?

PS There appears to be a wild British Mink. Can it not be released back in the wild, far from your house.

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th1i.htm

Last edited:
Goodness! :shock:

I hope you manage to catch it soon - how scary for you. :(

raine - I doubt that there any mink sanctuaries. They are indeed real pests in the wild and are thought to be responsible (together with loss of habitat etc) in the massive decline in the population of our native water vole as mink can swim and slip into the vole's home unlike other predators.

I asked the RSPCA man and the trapper what would happen to it and if it could be taken to a rescue/sanctury or released far away in the country but they both said that as it is not an indigenous UK species it is illegal to release it into the wild (under the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981, and the Destructive Imported Animals Act 1932 I believe)

It's a really lovely looking animal and when it was sunbathing today on my patio, all stretched out it just looked like it wanted a tummy rub...BUT....mink, I was told by the RSPCA man, are vicious creatures that kill for killings sake (not just for food) and that they are responsible for massive decline in many native UK wild animals (water vole etc) in many areas of the UK. They have no natural enemy here and have upset the food chain etc

I am very very very sorry that it has to be pts but I can't just sit back and let it tear my buns apart. No way.

I asked the RSPCA man and the trapper what would happen to it and if it could be taken to a rescue/sanctury or released far away in the country but they both said that as it is not an indigenous UK species it is illegal to release it into the wild (under the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981, and the Destructive Imported Animals Act 1932 I believe)

It's a really lovely looking animal and when it was sunbathing today on my patio, all stretched out it just looked like it wanted a tummy rub...BUT....mink, I was told by the RSPCA man, are vicious creatures that kill for killings sake (not just for food) and that they are responsible for massive decline in many native UK wild animals (water vole etc) in many areas of the UK. They have no natural enemy here and have upset the food chain etc

I am very very very sorry that it has to be pts but I can't just sit back and let it tear my buns apart. No way.

Why can't you trap it humanely and then release it far away? It could have even been a pet? I don't accept they kill for killings sake - that's just scaremongering - they do kill to eat - it will kill your rabbits though without doubt and they are your first priority. I think the article Raine has linked to is far more likely to be accurate though, they are a bit of a scapegoat I think. I also think a fox would have a go at a mink if they were hungry enough and a large bird of prey possibly.

Mink is a Mustelid....the ferret,weasel,stoat, otters and badger are all mustelids.
Minks are a predator,a pest which need a special licence to be kept.
Originally in Scotland, they found themselves over the borders.
Also, from Mink farms..there was one in Caterham/Godstone as I was growing up.Animal activists set them free.
Tis a shame, but would be more of a shame for you and your bunnies if he got them.Keep them well hidden...locked up until the animal is caught.
Sleep Well Mr Mink.xxxxxx

There used to be a mink farm not far from Leeds on the road out towards Halifax. Nowadays if you drive past you can still get the odd whiff. It is a really distinctive smell.

There used to be a mink farm not far from Leeds on the road out towards Halifax. Nowadays if you drive past you can still get the odd whiff. It is a really distinctive smell.

I love the smell of my ferrets.....and theyve been neutered so imagine the smell of an intact bunch!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::shock:

Why can't you trap it humanely and then release it far away? It could have even been a pet? I don't accept they kill for killings sake - that's just scaremongering - they do kill to eat - it will kill your rabbits though without doubt and they are your first priority. I think the article Raine has linked to is far more likely to be accurate though, they are a bit of a scapegoat I think. I also think a fox would have a go at a mink if they were hungry enough and a large bird of prey possibly.

No, the family that minks are from are all savage killers :? And there is no way anyone could keep them as a pet if you wanted your arm chewed off! :shock: They can be very vicious if they want to!

and Yvette :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: pheeewwww Ferrets smell AWFUL!! :lol:

No, the family that minks are from are all savage killers :? And there is no way anyone could keep them as a pet if you wanted your arm chewed off! :shock: They can be very vicious if they want to!

and Yvette :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: pheeewwww Ferrets smell AWFUL!! :lol:

:wave: Oh right, maybe it is just one that escaped or was let go by the fur farmer when they closed down then. Although there are plenty of species that are dangerous and still kept as pets, I think some people even have crocodile's and alligators or big cats as pets - don't understand it myself why have a pet you can't pet? :lol:

Back