• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Picollo please - U/D hopefully he's better! :)

Fairy13

Wise Old Thumper
We just rushed him to the vets this morning. He's our bun that was in remission from leukemia. He has what looks like bacterial diarheoa (sp) his sister he lives with seem well at the mo so either the concern is the leukemia is back and so he doesnt have the immune response to fight this off and thats why his sister isnt down with it.
Or we are at risk of some awful outbreak. I am watching the others like a hawk and vet has said if anybun seems off food or low or dodgy poos take them straight up there.
I am so afraid. My brain has turned to mush. What do I need to use to disinfect their hutch and things while they are at the vets? Is it Jeyes?
I am so afraid we will lose him, or/and we have some sort of outbreak and everybun is going to get ill. I'm so scared. :cry: Any vibes are much appreciated.

Last edited:
i am so sorry to hear the poor mite has become so ill especially after getting the all clear:(

i have indoor buns so cant help there...but am sending lots of get well vibes xx

Let us know what the vet says asap, I hope it's not the return of leukaemia but I also hope it's not an outbreak of something :cry:
Hopefully he's just got an upset tummy and nothing else x

Oh blimey Fay :cry:

If you do use Jeyes (which will kill Coccidia) then you need to rinse it all off very well and allow every treated area to dry completely before anyBun moves back in. Preferably not for at least 24 hours.

Steam cleaning will kill Coccidia so IMO if you have/can obtain a steam cleaner I'd use that.

Sending millions of vibes to all your Buns xx

Oh blimey Fay :cry:

If you do use Jeyes (which will kill Coccidia) then you need to rinse it all off very well and allow every treated area to dry completely before anyBun moves back in. Preferably not for at least 24 hours.

Steam cleaning will kill Coccidia so IMO if you have/can obtain a steam cleaner I'd use that.

Sending millions of vibes to all your Buns xx

Thank you Jane. If it was Coccidia, would you expect his sister who he lives with to come down with it too? I will see about a steam cleaner though. I dont think he'll be home til at least monday. She said she'd keep him all wkend.
So should I just clean it to get rid of Coccidea and look at worst case scenario? Does Coccidea always occur as an outbreak or can just one bun be affected?
I'll have a search on here, I'm sure you've posted helpful links before! I just feel all shakey and soo worried.

Thank you Jane. If it was Coccidia, would you expect his sister who he lives with to come down with it too? I will see about a steam cleaner though. I dont think he'll be home til at least monday. She said she'd keep him all wkend.
So should I just clean it to get rid of Coccidea and look at worst case scenario? Does Coccidea always occur as an outbreak or can just one bun be affected?
I'll have a search on here, I'm sure you've posted helpful links before! I just feel all shakey and soo worried.

This is an easy to understand article about Coccidiosis

http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbivores/health/coccidiosis.php

This one is a bit more 'technical'

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/coccidiosis_general.PDF

Thank you :cry: x

I am sure your Vet will do all she can for Picollo.
*If* it is Coccidiosis then the others may well remain OK as their immune systems are no doubt more robust than Picollo's.

My Declan had suspected Coccidiosis a few weeks ago. Thankfully he responded to treatment and none of my other Rabbits were effected. It was a very worrying time though, so I can appreciate how anxious you are feeling.

How long is the waiting time til you know no others are affected please?
It said the symptoms occur 4/6 days after infection so if no bun becomes ill after a week are we clear? Or is it not as simple as that. i am wondering if, like you say, perhaps 'it' was around and Picollo may be the only bun that gets symptoms cos praps the leukemia is back :? oh i dont know.
So glad to hear Declan recoverde well. Gives me hope x

How long is the waiting time til you know no others are affected please?
It said the symptoms occur 4/6 days after infection so if no bun becomes ill after a week are we clear? Or is it not as simple as that. i am wondering if, like you say, perhaps 'it' was around and Picollo may be the only bun that gets symptoms cos praps the leukemia is back :? oh i dont know.
So glad to hear Declan recoverde well. Gives me hope x

I think it depends on the exact species of Coccidia (there are several) as to how long the 'incubation' period would be :? To be on the safe side I'd say 14 days.

I would try not to get too stressed about the others (easier said than done, I know) as they are not immune compromised like Picollo. Please keep us updated and lots of vibes still being sent xx

Vet phoned this morning and Picollo is much better :D She said he passed some more v runny poo yesterday but since has been passing normal poo and is his usual sprightly self again So he's staying at the vet tonight for another injection tomorrow and then he can come home tomorrow afternoon. :D
His sister Lettice is fine so far and we are keeping an eye on the other buns but fingers crossed that's it :D
Many Thanks to those who thought of him xx

Back