• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baileys in Stasis=please help

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
Bailey went in to GI stasis the day before yesterday, she was admitted to the vets yesterday for intensive treatment, the vets said today she still hasnt poo'd so they have two more things up their sleeves, another drug,
or a nasal tube to manually feed her for this she has to be anesthetized though, this is carrying on from another thread as im not getting replys and am running out of time...
has anyone else had the nasal tube on their bunns?
and does anyone know anything that can help her at all..
Thanksx

I really feel for you here. I've never heard of a rabbit being fed this way, but I'm sure if the vet thinks it's necessary, it is. I know you must be worried about the GA, but my guys have had 9 between them now, and they've always come out of them fine. If I were you I'd go with whatever the vets advise.

Loads and loads of vibes for Bailey bun.

In all honesty I would think that the vet is being a bit too hasty, 2 days in statis is not a long time at all, Jims has had statis many times now and each time he has been administered with the gut stimulant up to twice a day, pain relief daily, the gut balancing stuff and recovery food throught out.
The one time he was admitted they just continuously syringe fed him and gave him all the drugs- on this occasion it was 4 days before he did any poops.
I just think that having the anasthetic is not a good idea to a bun who is already in statis as it could possibly cause more harm than good, plus I think having a tube up her nose will stress her out too much. BUT this is just my opinion, please see what others say as well.
Vibes for Bailey. xx

I agree with Rachylou that 2 days is a little hasty to be opting for tube feeding. I have been through numerous bouts of stasis with my buns over the years and have never resorted to such invasive treatment. Our last episode was January and lasted for 13 days. Treating stasis can be very stressful for both the bunny and carers.

I assume the vet has ruled out any blockage before motility drugs and recovery foods have been administered. Personally, I would rather have my buns at home in familiar surroundings where they are less stressed and more likely to start pooing naturally. This is easy to say though when you have been through several bouts and if this is your first I understand how worrying it is.

Is there any chance you could post the treatment already done with the names of drugs and dosages etc. to help understand what stage everything is at?

Wishing Bailey a rapid recovery.

In all honesty I would think that the vet is being a bit too hasty, 2 days in statis is not a long time at all, Jims has had statis many times now and each time he has been administered with the gut stimulant up to twice a day, pain relief daily, the gut balancing stuff and recovery food throught out.
The one time he was admitted they just continuously syringe fed him and gave him all the drugs- on this occasion it was 4 days before he did any poops.
I just think that having the anasthetic is not a good idea to a bun who is already in statis as it could possibly cause more harm than good, plus I think having a tube up her nose will stress her out too much. BUT this is just my opinion, please see what others say as well.
Vibes for Bailey. xx

agree that a nasal tube will be very stressful prehpas subcut fluids can be given if bun dehydrated and bunny cna be syringe fed? has rabbit had pain relief? x

Hi all, i havent been able to get on the internet since saturday as ive moved back to my mums, Bailey is home now and through much time patience and lots of drugs shes started eating and pooing again and had her first bit of pellets since thursday yesterday, basically she was in the vets 2 nights 3 days, she was being given baytrill twice a day as well as the gut motility drug (not sure what its called) and pain relief, she refused to eat aswell unless i was there so i went over 4 times in the 2 days, luckly the nurse which stays in over night let me go in and sit with her and keep offering her food and i think once the nurse saw how much i cared she stayed up most of sat night massaging her belly and offering her food, its been hard to get her eating again though as she will not syringe feed, she actually goes crazy. im having to give her 0.8 of baytrill twice a day through syringe and she had a bit of a shaking attack yesterday from it, so im improvising by giving it to her in her water bowl, its gonna be a while before shes back to normal and all i can do is hope she doesnt go downhill again in the next week, sorry for my multiple threads :oops: ill just be using the "Bailey in stasis" theread in the health forum now to give anyone who wants to hear updates! thanks for everyones advice xx

Back