• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with obsessive bunny!!

jodietyers

New Kit
Hi, Can anyone help? We have 2 house dwelling lop eared rabbits. 1 is about 10 months old but we've had him about 6 weeks, the other is 13 weeks old and we got him last week. They have bonded well together (despite a bit of attempted humping in the first 36 hours - bearing in mind they are both boys) but now the older bunny elmer seems to have an obsession with cleaning the very inside of the little one buddy's ears on a very regular basis. We're talking several times a day. Is this normal or should we be worried? I've split them for tonight as buddy has somehow sprained his leg so is on pain relief etc, thought it best to keep him separate so that he can rest up... Can anyone enlighten me on the ear washing thing though please?...

The ear washing is normal.:)
Additionally, I wouldn't split two bonded rabbits unless it's been recommended by my vet.

Its a good thing - they are grooming... Mine do this too, sooty sticks her whole nose in oreos ear and flips it inside out :roll:

Probably a good idea to get the youngster neutered as soon as you can if you want to continue the bond before he gets hormonal - 2 boys are prone to fighting - even if they have been bonded..

Hope Buddys leg gets better soon..

Yes the vet did recommend keeping them apart just for tonight as they are very playful and his leg needs rest :) I wouldn't keep them apart normally. We have another vets appointment on monday so will be discussing the neutering part of it then, luckily there has been no fighting yet. Thanks for the responses guys, v helpful xx :)

I wouldn't be worried, as grooming is a normal part of rabbit behaviour, except you said he's paying attention to one ear in particular? That might just possibly be the start of an infection, and you should ask your vet to have a look when you take them in. Unfortunately inner ear problems can be serious in buns. :(

Good luck anyway - hopefully it'll just be him whispering secrets! :lol:

Its a good thing - they are grooming... Mine do this too, sooty sticks her whole nose in oreos ear and flips it inside out :roll:

Probably a good idea to get the youngster neutered as soon as you can if you want to continue the bond before he gets hormonal - 2 boys are prone to fighting - even if they have been bonded..
Hope Buddys leg gets better soon..

Totally agree.
Sorry, I didn't realise they weren't neutered. :oops:

Ear washing is normal :) Just keep an eye on his ears to make sure they dont get sore.

I would advise you get them both neutered asap. I had 2 well bonded males together, and then one evening all hell broke loose and Reggie tried to castrate Ronnie :cry: I ended up with a massive vets bill and 2 seperate bunnies. Maybe you could talk to the vet about getting Elmer neutered? :) It would help with the boys bond too.

Are you Lynn's friend? ;) Ive heard about ltitle Elmer before now! Welcome to RU :D xXx

Yes well...I wouldn't exactly call her a friend, more like this loony weirdo who keeps following me around lmao:lol:, nah seriously yeah she's a friend. We live near each other so I see Tinks at least every few days and she seems to grow more every time I see her!! lol take care x:wave:

Back