• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly's vet visit.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
I took Molly, our chinchilla dwarf lop, into the vets yesterday, because I thought she was a bit wheezy. The vet said she was a little bit, but I'm not sure if he was just being kind because I felt a bit of a twit.:oops: She got an antibiotic injection to cover her incase it was something brewing, and he said they have been having lots of cases of pneumonia in livestock because of the change in the weather.
Anyway, when he gave her a check over he said the cloudiness in her eyes has developed into full cataracts and she is blind, she may be able to see light, but that's it. Otherwise, she is fine except for being a bit fat, but they haven't been out much due to the cold weather. Hopefully now the days are lenghtening and its warming up, she will drop a bit of weight.

Thank you, I do wonder if the 'wheeziness' was jst fatness I was hearing- but better safe than sorry.

She has adapted to her eyesight fine, and is so laid back she never seems to worry anyway.

What is sad, is that she came from a locally well known dwarf lop breeder and had this problem, at least from the age of 10 months, when she and her sister were rehomed to us with aggression problems. Milly is happy and healthy and non- agressive.

Molly was Smokey's partner and was a devoted friend to him, even supporting him when he had head tilt on top of all his other problems. Perhaps that is why she tends towards being fat- she got into all the treat he had to keep his weight up.
She is now a lovely girl with no sign of any behavioural problems, but I guess that comes down to routine, neutering and consistent handling.

It is definitely better safe than sorry. At least if there is something brewing you have got the treatment started quickly. I'm sure she will cope fine with the blindness poor girl.

Back