• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fat rabbits

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
My Ferris and Radar are officially fat (they've just been for their myxi vaccs and the vet even commented on it :oops: ).

The thing is, I don't feed them any more than my other rabbits! They get a handfull of A&P Natural pellets between them with a few SS sprinkled on top for variety, unlimited hay, and a couple of handfulls of veg per day between them.

They are fairly large rabbits (Ferris is a French lop crossed with something smaller, and Radar is a Giant crossed with something smaller).

Ferris isn't really very active (the Frenchy genes I presume?) despite having a 9ft x 6ft aviary to run around in, but Radar is reasonably active.

I can't understand how large rabbits can get so fat on this diet, whereas my small rabbits (nethies, dutches, etc) eat the same (or more!) and stay a nice weight.

Anyone else have the same problem? :wave:

I have this too. :?

Bob is a French Lop and he's always been "overweight" according to the vet. Due to various health problems he's now on a hay and Protexin Pro-Fibre pellet only diet. He has an egg cup in the morning and and egg cup in the evening and Timothy & Oat hay all day. That's it! He can't have veg as his tummy can't take it. And he's still deemed to be a bit porky.

He's a free range bun (though in fairness our flat isn't exactly big) and I hide his pellets around the flat in different places to get him running around more.

It doesn't matter what I do, he just doesn't really lose any weight.

I think he's just big boned. Like his Mummy. ;)

not exactly but when eric and esme had their jabs on saturday, the vet did comment that eric was a 'rather large' dwarf but she didn't say he was fat:?

I have a 21 year old horse that eats a tenth of what my other does, but is a tad tubby:oops: I think some just do better than others.

In my group Alfie is first to the food, but thinner than Flint who only eats a bit, then has a snooze:lol: And with Suki (lionhead) & Alistair - he was a NZ white & she ate way more than him & he was always a bit on the large side:?

They are fairly large rabbits (Ferris is a French lop crossed with something smaller, and Radar is a Giant crossed with something smaller).

Is it possible the cross breeding between large and small breeds just makes them look out of proportion or did the vet weigh them?

Is it possible the cross breeding between large and small breeds just makes them look out of proportion or did the vet weigh them?

I was going to something similar. My new vets (VERY good bunny vet) said she thought Pie was underweight, poped her on the scales and she is slap-bang where she neds to be weight wise.
And like horses maybe rabbits are the same. Mix their breeding up abit and they can live off of nothing! :wave:

They've both got really tubby tummies :oops:

Ferris carries it better because she's got huge feet, but she's still definitely too fat

interesting. esme eats way more - and faster - than eric but she is lighter on the scales and looks much leaner.

mind you, i have an older sister who never gains weight no matter what she eats and we're from the same stock:lol:

Same with Pea and Pod - I'm pretty sure they're frenchie-crosses (or there's some frenchie in there somewhere) but essentially they're VERY LAZY girlies :lol::lol:. They now get FOUR (yes, four) individual SS Mature pellets each per day, a bowl of fresh veg in the morning, a bowl of fresh veg in the evening (all leafy green stuff and virtually no root veg), plus hay. They also have unlimited access to fresh grass.

I let them out into the garden this morning and they literally spent 10 minutes exploring and then went back to bed :shock:. They're just destined to be fat ;).

I have this too. :?

Bob is a French Lop and he's always been "overweight" according to the vet. Due to various health problems he's now on a hay and Protexin Pro-Fibre pellet only diet. He has an egg cup in the morning and and egg cup in the evening and Timothy & Oat hay all day. That's it! He can't have veg as his tummy can't take it. And he's still deemed to be a bit porky.

He's a free range bun (though in fairness our flat isn't exactly big) and I hide his pellets around the flat in different places to get him running around more.

It doesn't matter what I do, he just doesn't really lose any weight.

I think he's just big boned. Like his Mummy. ;)

Bob isn't overweight...he just has thick fur ;)

Back