• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eek - Spay Booked for Wednesday!!

SuzieBlue

Young Bun
I took Nermal and Phoebe to the vet today to have a quick check-up and to get Pheebs booked in for her spay. She's just over 6 months now and definitely ready to go - she peed on Nermal's face yesterday.......
I'm scared!! I'm taking them both so that Nermal can be nearby when she comes out of the op. I'm already thinking about what I can put in their packed lunch..:oops:
Anyone have any tips in case I've missed anything?? Help!! :D

Ok, have read through the faqs, spoken to a few people with rabbits/other female animals who have been spayed, and had a general freak-out. I'm packing their carry-boxes and packed lunches tomorrow, and I know I'll get slagged at the vet for it! When I had Nermal neutered last year the vet nurse commented on his "overnight bag" that I took in!

I've warned the vets that they've got both bunnies for the day... Will give Nermal the talk about best behaviour that he gets every time someone else looks after him.

Thanks for tip about metacam, I know they're not keen on giving out painkillers but will insist that i get some to take home in case its needed. No doubt I will be back asking questions tomorrow evening once Phoebe's home safe!

Btw, what are girls like once they've been spayed? Nermal was a bit sleepy but generally ok and quite hungry, will Phoebe be more out of it because it's a bigger op or does it totally depend on the individual bunny? Thanks! :D

Loads of luck to your buns:)

My girl bun Poppy was done about 7 weeks ago - vet said she was under for longer than usual as she had cysts all over her ovaries and it took longer than expected. She was very quiet for the two days following and didn't really eat anything until the Wednesday night (she was done on the Monday morning) and I syringed her from when she came home on Tuesday morning. Course, I was in a bit of a panic and then she gobbled up some dried food and then ate her hay, etc. as normal that night. She also seemed to drink an awful lot (well more than normal) for the first week afterwards.

Last edited:
Well, that's Phoebe dropped off for her spay... :shock:

I couldn't leave Nermal, the vet said the op would happen in the morning and he would spend most of the day on his own as they couldn't put them back together afterwards, so I had to take him home. :( But I gave him some carrot when we got back so he's happy with that..

I've to phone at lunchtime unless I hear from them first, and then if all is well go and pick her up after work.

I'm not sure if I was more worried this morning about her op or about having to drive to the vet with two bunnies strapped in the backseat!! (In a box, obv..)

Fingers crossed..

Back