• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Struggling with aggressive rabbit

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Tiffany has always been difficult to handle, she just doesnt like us humans. She will take food from me but thats as far as it goes. I have to pick the buns up daily to put them in the runs.Tiffany is proving a nightmare. She has started to lunge again and grunt?

I approach her quietly and she runs away, i then approach her in her litter tray, gently stroking her if am lucky, by this point she usaually grunts and lunges.

Any ideas?

something I read about once is to make a stuffed glove on a stick, and to attempt stroking with that as if she lunges/bites it won't hurt, so you won't automatically withdraw, teaching her that lunging is a successful tactic - then to reward her with noms whenever she lets you stroke her with it without attacking - and hopefully she should gradually come to associate contact with good results.

anyway I've never had to try it myself but it might be worth a go?

Maybe approaching her quietly is startling her. I normally talk quite clearly but calmly to mine, telling them what I am going to do. I know they don't understand but I am sure it helps :)

If her aggression has worsened recently I would want to get her checked over for any health problems. Aggression, or worsening aggression can be an early sign of a health problem brewing.

Do you handle other Rabbits before Tiffany? If so having their scent on you will provoke her even more.

Maybe approaching her quietly is startling her. I normally talk quite clearly but calmly to mine, telling them what I am going to do. I know they don't understand but I am sure it helps :)

I do this with Honey, granted shes only got one eye and hard hearing but Ive noticed the huge different, before I would go quitely but since Talking louder shes so much better.
Even Blue seems more chilled, if thats even possible :)

I'd get everything checked too if you haven't, just to be on the safe side

Do you have to pick her up? Could you herd her into a carrier and move her that way?

As Jane said if its a recent thing I would get her checked

Oh no i dont mean like that, i mean i talk to her :oops: she knows i am there :)

Do you have to pick her up? Could you herd her into a carrier and move her that way?

As Jane said if its a recent thing I would get her checked

Its easier to pick her up, herding her into a carrier would be harder.

And no its not a recent thing, she has always been aggressive.

If her aggression has worsened recently I would want to get her checked over for any health problems. Aggression, or worsening aggression can be an early sign of a health problem brewing.

Do you handle other Rabbits before Tiffany? If so having their scent on you will provoke her even more.

I handle Bo before Tiffany. Bo is her partner. I always try to just handle these two first as i know they are funny with other rabbits smells.

And no its not a recent thing, shes always been like that.

I do feel i may have to look into getting a different set up for her, one where i dont have to carry her to the runs. But then what about the Vets? She has to be handled then? :?

I have the same problem with blossom so i wont be much help but will be very interested to see what people say. Blossom grunts alot and wont let us touch her but she needs to go to the vets to be spayed and im worried about how they will handle her.

I have an aggression problem with carrie she hates me putting my hands in the cage so much so she wil even attack biggles sometimes, ive tried alsorts to ive just accepted thats the way she is i use a towel if i have to handle her.

She absolutely fine outside the cage,( well as in i dont get bitten growled or lunged at outside the cage, she will come over and have a nose and chin if i lie on the floor, ) getting back in can be a prob too, so i only feed them there main meal at bedtime so she just jumps in the cage by herself

I had this problem with Lottie. Sometimes she can be lovely, but most of the time she is agressive. She will sort of tolerate being fussed while shes sitting still, though she normally runs off grunting, but definately growls and bites when you pick her up!

I'd reccommend an attached run to their hutch if possible :) This is how i solved it with Lottie :) Shes fine now that she can come and go as she pleases :love:

Id like to say give Tiff and Bo nose rubs from me but... :lol::oops: :) Hope your ok hunni! xXx

I had this problem with Lottie. Sometimes she can be lovely, but most of the time she is agressive. She will sort of tolerate being fussed while shes sitting still, though she normally runs off grunting, but definately growls and bites when you pick her up!

I'd reccommend an attached run to their hutch if possible :) This is how i solved it with Lottie :) Shes fine now that she can come and go as she pleases :love:

Id like to say give Tiff and Bo nose rubs from me but... :lol::oops: :) Hope your ok hunni! xXx

Yes, glad i aint alone.
may look into the hutch/run combo :)
hahah very funny, Bo used to be like this but with time and patience he settled, although can still be grumpy. but Tiffany isnt giving me chance?

I am fine hun, you?

I have an aggression problem with carrie she hates me putting my hands in the cage so much so she wil even attack biggles sometimes, ive tried alsorts to ive just accepted thats the way she is i use a towel if i have to handle her.

She absolutely fine outside the cage,( well as in i dont get bitten growled or lunged at outside the cage, she will come over and have a nose and chin if i lie on the floor, ) getting back in can be a prob too, so i only feed them there main meal at bedtime so she just jumps in the cage by herself

I wonder if the towel may work. She is still very grumpy in the run, so its not an issue around her hutch etc :?

Can you lift one end of the run up so she can go 'under' herself...then put the run down once she's entered?...a treat or two will get her to go in...

Dont give up!!
My ella was the same, and with alot of work and patience she is now happy to be picked up (although the little madam does expect nom nom's afta :lol:) and is now calm enough for me to hold her.
I make sure Ella is the 1st to be picked up and cuddled, and I always make sure they know i'm coming (in the morning ill shake there food tub and say good morning bunnys! how u all doing?)
With Ella (like some has previously mentioned) stroking her with something so if she does lunge the object dont get pulled away and bunny learnt that lunging and attacking would not help) I also sat with the bunnys alot, with bits of treat and let ella approach me in her own good time (A wise owl on here told me to respect that she was a bunny that didnt like human contact ;)) so i respected it,and if she did come to me I would reward her with a little treatment and use positive words "what a good girl ella! arent you getting soooo brave!!!"
I also think its wise to let bunnys, esp buns with attitude know what your going to do! I personally would not like someone swooping in and picking me up, so i treat all my bunnys with the same respect and let them know if im going to pick them up, that im going to check there bum,nails etc and generally ive had good response from this. My cousins bunny didnt like being handled but was quite happy for me to tell her i was going to pick her up to give her medicine and i wasnt gunna hurt her, she quite happily stayed in one place let me pick her up, and give her, the medicine :D
Patience,Love,and Respect! :)

Calel is carrier trained:D If I put a carrier in his room he jumps in.
I think some aggressive rabbits are really intelligent - I fed him everyday in his carrier - so veg in the morning & pellets on a night so he knows it's a good thing. Within about 3 days he was hopping in & out as I wanted. :D

He has a room section so only goes outside 3 times a week into the run at the minute, but will be more in summer. I don't even have to feed in the carrier anymore cos he knows it's a good thing when he sees it:D

velvet is learning to get in the carrier ...its far more stress ful than picking up ...for the bun and the person involved;) :lol:

why dont you attatch the run to the hutch(if tall hutch add a ramp?) then you can let her jump out on her own into it just unlockingt he doors, or create a little alley way to the run and herd her that way, could you give her free raun in garden and then herd her in or ge ther used to coming when you call... i wouldnt ever pick up dora in the garden she hates it but i give her her food adn call her and she runs in .

Back