• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it normal for vets to....

KTJ

Alpha Buck
.... keep a rabbit in for TWO nights after being neutered?

My Smokey had his little operation yesterday and stayed in over night. I have just rang them to see how he is (I don't have much patience!) and they said that he still hasnt done any poops or wee's, so they will probably be keeping him tonight too :( This is the first male rabbit I've ever had "done" and I thought it would be so simple and he would be out and binkying around in no time, but now Im starting to worry. I know GA slows down the gut, but surely nearly 24 hours later it should be getting back to normal?

Sorry for being so moany, but my little bun must be so confused :(

xxx

I dont think it is NORMAL practice to keep them in BUT they will do if the bun is not eating and pooping as he should. They will want to keep a close eye on him until he gets back to normal.
When Jims was done he came home the same day, but I am sure if he hadnt bounced back as quickly they would have kept him in.

My bun was home the same day too but I know my vet wouldn't have let him home untill they were happy his gut was working ok. They can then keep a close eye on him so he is in the best place. Keep phoning them for updates to put your mind at rest. Let us know how he's doing. Sending vibes for him too :wave:

Its not normal practise, no. But be thankful they are keeping him in without you having to ask! Whe Pie got spayed she was given no pain relief for after and ended up going back to the vets after 24 hours of not eating or drinking to be put on a drip overnight! I thought I was going to ose her :(
I would be happy that they care enough to keep him in, just incase. He's in the best place - like silly bunny mummy said. :)

I dont think it is NORMAL practice to keep them in BUT they will do if the bun is not eating and pooping as he should. They will want to keep a close eye on him until he gets back to normal.
When Jims was done he came home the same day, but I am sure if he hadnt bounced back as quickly they would have kept him in.

although this is true our vets let us bring home ours on the same day even though not eating and pooping as i did stres sto them that they wouldnt eat in a strange place anyway as this was extra stress once home i had little or no problems. maybe suggest this to your vets? x

although this is true our vets let us bring home ours on the same day even though not eating and pooping as i did stres sto them that they wouldnt eat in a strange place anyway as this was extra stress once home i had little or no problems. maybe suggest this to your vets? x
My girls were exactly the same. They wouldn't eat or go toilet whilst in a strange place. I brought them home and within 24hrs of the operation they were eating again.
If your bun hates change I would suggest asking the vet if they think you might try him at home. If he still doesn't eat you can always take him back.

Thank you for all of your replies :)
Smokey has never been out of his hutch or my house for more than an hour, as he's never needed any operations or medication for anything (Im very lucky I know!) so not only is he probably in a bit of pain, he's no doubt confused and scared too, so maybe that could be why he isn't eating/pooping etc properly.
One part of me wants him home where he knows he is safe... but the other part of me knows that he is in the best possible place if he needs treatment. I will ring the vets in a couple of hours and see how my little man is doing!

ps. Flopsy is in for his operation in 6 days... I'm not going to have any hair left due to stress at this rate!!!!

Everything crossed for little Smokey to start eating & pooping. I'm hoping he'll be home soon.
The reason he's being kept in is because he's not eating & pooping, which occasionally does happen after an operation. It's called "stasis"
You have a valid point about him being stressed in a vet hospital, but home care is difficult.

Did the vet say whether he'd eaten anything? I'll get Katie to have a strong word with him, (Smokey that is, not the vet!). :lol:

Vibes.

Did the vet say whether he'd eaten anything? I'll get Katie to have a strong word with him, (Smokey that is, not the vet!). :lol:

Vibes.

Ha! You should do! I need my little man home!!
My Mum has text (Im not actually at home this week, so my Mum who is great with the buns has taken over for me for a few days) to say she's picking up him about 8pm 2night providing he carries on how he is!! Yayyy! :D
I may not be able to see him for a few days, but I know he'll be happier at home as he's used to it. Thanks for all the vibes, they're paying off!!

Hi again :)

I have just spoken to the vets, and they have given me 2 options

1) To bring Smokey home TONIGHT
2) Leave him at the vets for another night

He still has yet to do any poops after his neutering yesterday.

What would everyone else do? Im so stuck, because at the vets he will have the very best possible care and treatment, but I know he'll feel happier with my Mum at home because he knows her :(

I PM'd you, but I'll say it anyway. :lol:

Personally I think she should bring him home tonight, as it might be Smokey is deliberately not pooing due to anxiety. You live so close she can always take him back if she's at all worried. :)

Thank you Hoppit. Your local knowledge is invaluable here. I'm stuck in the mind frame of a 40 +mile round trip to the vet.
I'm in full agreement with your advice. If things haven't picked up tomorrow & they're close to a vet, fine.

I PM'd you, but I'll say it anyway. :lol:

Personally I think she should bring him home tonight, as it might be Smokey is deliberately not pooing due to anxiety. You live so close she can always take him back if she's at all worried. :)

I would agree with this (am I too late?). Mine settle much better at home where they are familiar but so long as you know you can take them back straight away if there are problems.

Any news then? Or should that be any poos? (Yes, bad joke!) :oops:

I was actually dreaming about him last night! :shock: :lol:

Hoppit, next time I'm at Penmellyn, I will find your sister and ask her very nicely to pass on the £10 that I owe you........ :lol:

Over night, Smokey had free range of my room, lots of food, veg and water, and is now completely back to normal :D :D :D :D
He has done poos and wees and eating and drinking like normal!

Thankyou to everyone for the advice, at the time I made the decision to have him taken home last night, I wasn't 100% sure I had done the right thing incase something happened to him in the night, but obviously being at home feeling safe made him relax and I am soo happy!

Just got to get Flopsy through his operation next Wednesday now......

Hoppit, next time I'm at Penmellyn, I will find your sister and ask her very nicely to pass on the £10 that I owe you........ :lol:

Over night, Smokey had free range of my room, lots of food, veg and water, and is now completely back to normal :D :D :D :D

Thankyou to everyone for the advice, at the time I made the decision to have him taken home last night, I wasn't 100% sure I had done the right thing incase something happened to him in the night, but obviously being at home feeling safe made him relax and I am soo happy!

Yay!! I'm so relieved for you!! :D:D:D

Rabbits are bad for one's health! :roll:

i'm sorry i didn't see this thread earlier as i would have said to bring him home if poss - and you did:D
eric is a very stressed bunny at the vets so when he had his op, they kept him in one night and as he still hadn't pooped next day, i brought him home - within a few minutes he'd pooped for england:)

Back