• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I get any people creams to speed up the healing of hocks? Please reply if you can

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
I know I'm posting way too many threads about this, but I just really need help off everyone. Are there any normal creams I could buy in town that will help hocks, like sudocrem or something? If there is please say exactly what is safe and useful. If there are any, do you need to cover the feet while the cream is on? Sounds bizarre but would it be best to put baby rocks or something on his feet to stop him licking any cream off? Please reply if you can

I have seen Sudocreme recommended on previous 'sore hock' threads.
Maybe just do a quick search.
You have probably read this but just in case it seems to offer good advice & helped me too.
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/sorehocks.htm

Thanks for that, I was pretty sure of most of it but was nice to have it confirmed. I already cut his nails the second I saw his hocks, so glad I did that. Hopefully then with his new home with soft floor, this'll clear up in no time. I think it's a mix of his hutch floor being worn down, and his new hobby of doing flying binkies on and off my bed when my floor is all carpet

There are several creams recommended in various threads. None of the creams are sold here in the US so I couldn't try them. My vet recommended putting Neosporin Antibiotic ointment on first then put New Skin on top of that. Hold the bunny for a few minutes until the New Skin dries. It forms a hard protective layer like a callous over the sore. The New Skin burns open sores so be sure to put the Neosporin on first so it will not hurt. Not sure if you have those 2 things but it worked great for Julie. The New Skin protects the tender skin while it is healing. It makes it heal faster too.

Just read about the binkies on the carpet. That is how Julie got her sore hocks in the first place when she started hopping and binking on the carpet. She was use to tile floors. The vet said it was rug burn.

You could try Dermisol cream from the vet. Its traditionally used for cattle/dogs but it speeds up healing of sore skin in rabbits also.

Back