• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I doing the right thing? Please reply :(

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
I feel physically ill worrying that I'm going to get this wrong and make Charlies hocks worse. In the next few days I can order a dog pen to make a new house for him and get rid of the hutch. It will be six foot by two foot and in my room. For the floor I'm getting some of the foamy childrens playmats and covering them with his sheet to stop him being tempted to chew. Also going to buy a cat basket and just fill it with hay for him. Will this be better for his feet than the hutch and help them heal? I need to know if I'm doing this right :(

You may want to consider this -I'm pretty sure JacksJane swears by Vetbed covering with a nice soft old pillow case.
She recommended this for my Rexie boys hock issues.
I also use a thick foam type mat too. Gilbert's hocks are really good now.
Good luck with getting this sorted for Charlie.

Glad the foam floor seems to help, hopefully that means I am doing the right thing for my baby boy:love:

:wave:This is what I did for Baloo when he had sore hocks, and knock on wood, they haven't returned. The only difference is that I put lino on top of the play mats and then laid vet bed covered in a cotton sheet on the lino. Baloo likes to lay on the lino so I only covered half the pen in vet bed and left the rest. That way he has a choice.
I just wanted to add that you are a great bunny mum:love: Charlie is a lucky little man:D What you are doing is definitely an improvement over the hutch and all you can really do is try and see if it works. I really think that the foam padding is key here. I like sitting on it too.:oops:It's squishy:lol:
Hock healing vibes to Charlie:love:

:wave:This is what I did for Baloo when he had sore hocks, and knock on wood, they haven't returned. The only difference is that I put lino on top of the play mats and then laid vet bed covered in a cotton sheet on the lino. Baloo likes to lay on the lino so I only covered half the pen in vet bed and left the rest. That way he has a choice.
I just wanted to add that you are a great bunny mum:love: Charlie is a lucky little man:D What you are doing is definitely an improvement over the hutch and all you can really do is try and see if it works. I really think that the foam padding is key here. I like sitting on it too.:oops:It's squishy:lol:
Hock healing vibes to Charlie:love:

The foam padding bit is going to be bigger, so I'm going to have a bit on the floor where he tends to jump on/off my bed too! Determined to beat this before he gets all really sore and in pain and needs to go to the vets!

Back