• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Animal Parties with Rabbits??

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,

I just wanted to know what other RU members think about something. I have indirectly found out about a company that does children's parties and nursery sessions with rabbits and guinea pigs. I looked on their website and they do a package where they will bring a 'mobile zoo' to children's parties with animals ranging from reptiles to our favourite furry friends.

I dont know why but it made me feel really sad and angry for those poor rabbits and guinea pigs. Being that they are prey animals and easily scared, I am not sure that taking them out and about regularly is a good thing. And since it is a business, I cant help but think that profit might be more important than welfare.

What do other people think? Obviously I am just speculating from what I can make out from the website, and it does sound like they are qualified and experienced people, but even so it doesnt quite sit comfortably with me. Maybe I'm just over-sensitive, I dont know...

(Also all their hutches in their gallery are really small :cry::cry::cry:)

Last edited:
That makes me sad too. I guess animals that are naturally inquisitive (dogs, rodents, parrots etc) would be ok but not rabbits and guineas. Plus if it's for kiddies parties it's bound to be noisy and the less well mannered children will probably be chasing the animals around, bobbing them on the head etc.

Although, that said, a local animal park over here does school visits with 'Fluffy' their NZW and normally something like a bearded dragon or a ferret. I think that's kind of ok as they're educating the children about animals but at the same time I still think it's not really on to trapse around with the bunny in tow.

I had a job interview there and bought the subject up. They were adamant the rabbit was used to it and enjoyed the attention. :? Funnily enough, I didn't get that job! :lol:

Basically my opinion is... for education purposes, it's ok within reason. For anything else, NO!

Back