• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do about Violet & Mai - Advice needed asap.

Lillian

Warren Veteran
Some people might recall i've posted a few times about Mai's tail. She injured the tip of it, and wouldn't leave it alone, and then Violet started grooming her tail to the point where it was bleeding. Its healed since then had to be re-treated several times due to both of them biting it.

Mai has since left it alone, but Violet has gone from affectionately overgrooming it, to chasing her round the shed, biting through the banage causing even more damage to it. A couple of weeks ago we split them up, divided the shed in half. Mai's tail was treated and re-banaged and she had meds to prevent infection. But Both Violet and Mai became stressed and depressed from being parted. After a week apart we let them back out together, watched them for a few days and everything was fine. But today Violet started again, and they've had to be split again.

This has been going on since last summer now. And i need advice whether to split them for good and attempt to bond them with different rabbits... or is there any miracle cure to get them back together? :( They do love each other so much, but Violet is just obsessed with chewing her tail.

Oh I can see your dilemma, assuming it isn't causing any real damage I would possibly try to discourage it by distraction, so when you see it using food distract her and then reward when she is not doing it. I think if it starts to cause real damage and is dangerous you will have to separate. It could be an attention seeking thing so I think you have to be careful how you react. That's why distraction for a while before reward and reward when they are interacting well together particularly if the tail chaser is being good and not doing it. Just an idea really Lillian, hopefully someone else will have some other suggestions for you x

Problem is he does it worse at night, when we aren't there to stop him. He's chewed about an inch of her tail now, it was bleeding alot, and is awfully sore :(

You could put something horrid tasting on her tail? Maybe just seperate them at night if that's the worse time. What a problem, I really don't know what else you can do. Sorry I can't be much help.

Back