• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit abcesses on back

kimberlie

New Kit
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with recurring abcesses with rabbits?

One of mine is currently undergoing treatment AGAIN (about the fifth time in a year) for abcesses.
Does anyone know what can cause these? My vet does not understand why they keep coming back.

My rabbits live outside and i occasionally see a few field mice passing by, could the mice be causing them by biting my rabbit?

Its getting really expensive me to treat at the moment, and my poor dad is having to look after them because i am a student not at home to do it.

Can anyone offer me any advice? How to prevent these, a better treatment or anything? Thanks

Rabbit abscesses are usually more problematic to treat than abscesses in other species.

What treatment has the Vet given thus far ? Surgery is usually essential, just 'lancing' the abscess and giving systemic antibiotics is often unsuccessful.

Each time we have been back, we have been given Baytril antibiotic to give her everyday and some hibiscrub to put on if the abcess is open and is bleeding. We have also been squeezing the pus out and taking her back to the vets to get this done.
Each time the abcesses completely disappear, but they come back again sometimes within a matter of weeks though are in different places.
She currently has 2 now though and this hasnt happened before :(

Hi, I see from your post in introductions that you have 2 female rabbits, can I ask do they live together? Are they neutered?

We had a rabbit with an abcess on his tummy - they are very hard to treat, he had his surgically removed and followed on with antibiotics but sadly it returned within 3 or 4 months - it was decided we couldn't keep operating on him with that regularity so we kept it under control with antibiotics. But this was a few years ago and there have been many advancements in the treatment of abcesses I understand.

I am sure Jane will help you - she has a wealth of knowledge.

Each time we have been back, we have been given Baytril antibiotic to give her everyday and some hibiscrub to put on if the abcess is open and is bleeding. We have also been squeezing the pus out and taking her back to the vets to get this done.
Each time the abcesses completely disappear, but they come back again sometimes within a matter of weeks though are in different places.
She currently has 2 now though and this hasnt happened before :(

Baytril is unlikely to be helpful with an abscess that is recurring and has not received any surgical intervention (ie under GA to attempt to remove the entire abscess capsule and as much necrotic tissue as possible).

Is your Vet Rabbit savvy ? Unfortunately some small animal Vets are pretty clueless when it comes to Rabbits.

What area are you in? Maybe someone on here could suggest a Vet with lots of experience in treating Rabbits.

Maghull, which is right on the edge of liverpool is where i live.

My rabbits do live together yes, however have not been neutered.
(i am assuming they havent, as i got them from a friend of a friend who could no longer look after them)

I see, maybe i should go back to my vets and suggest that they think about operating?? Would this possibly prevent the abcesses from comng back?

Thanks

Maghull, which is right on the edge of liverpool is where i live.

My rabbits do live together yes, however have not been neutered.
(i am assuming they havent, as i got them from a friend of a friend who could no longer look after them)

I see, maybe i should go back to my vets and suggest that they think about operating?? Would this possibly prevent the abcesses from comng back?

Thanks

I was just thinking that if they are living together they could be having the odd scrap which would result in an abcess.

I think I would want to find a more rabbit savvy vet to operate on my rabbit to be honest. Why not post a request for a recommendation to a good bunny vet in your area.

yeah i think i will.
My girls seem to get on brilliantly, and can see them pretty much all day because they are right by the window.
I cant see them fighting and so was wondering whether it could be the mouse.

I moved their hutch today, and the mouse was under there wiht a little nest. Ive now tried to block under the hutch off as much as possible so that it doesnt come back!

Some abscesses are faily 'simple' to treat others are more of a pain, sometimes surgery is just not possible depending on the location of the abscess.

Our old girl spent Christmas 2008/New year 09 with half a face after having an abscess on her jaw removed....exactly a year later one has popped up right behind her bottom jaw and is pressing on her windpipe, unfortunately surgery is not an option this time due to the location and risks involved but she's been on high doses of injectable Depocillin for two months and it *seems* to have sorted it.

Definitely ask about a change of antibiotics...Baytril just isn't strong enough in 98% of cases :(

Back