• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I can't litter train Buzz

Candiflare

Mama Doe
As it's been a similar temperature inside and out during the days recently I've been bringing Buzz inside my office to run around while I'm working so he has a bit of company while he waits for his future wife bun. Ralph and Ruby are litter trained and can run around the house very easily and just go back to pee and poop in their litter tray in their indoor hutch, but Buzz won't do it.

He doesn't even choose a particular place to pee and poo, he is compelled to do it everywhere and then spread it around. Obviously this is territorial behaviour, but Ralph and Ruby aren't even in my office and haven't been there so their smells aren't in there.

Could it be he is smelling it in the house in general?

It puts me off having him in the house with me because every time I take him back outside I have a mammoth cleaning mission.

I can see that ideally he should be inside and they should be outside, but are there any tricks to litter training? Ralph and Ruby did it naturally.

Has he been neutured?
I used to put news paper down all over the floor, and slowly made the paper area smaller and smaller then What I did was I got a tray and filled it with loads of tasty hay and she has always been good with it. Bunnies like to eat and poo at the same time so just put the tray in the place he does a wee the most and let him find it himself, it might take a few weeks to work properly but he will get the idea eventually.

If he can smell the other two bunnies in your office, it might be a reason. Do you have those huge litter trays (giant cat ones). I fill with hay and my house rabbit goes in them. The other one will pee in one but will pebble everywhere.

Right, the tray of hay is the plan...

It's just my OH and the mess... I wish my OH would go away for a bit so I could litter train Buzz and then he be perfect when he gets pack.

Yep Buzz has been neutered - he was a lot worse before he was neutered!

Put your OH outside and have buzz inside :lol:

Yes get a nice big tray and have lots of yummy hay and a few treats to encourage him to go in it - he will poo and eat at the same time anyway - but if any stray bumbles do appear pick them up and put them in the tray - he will soon get the idea (hopefully) xx

You just fill the tray with a cheaper hay and then pop a pile of the nice hay at the front to nom on.

Its probably because its so exciting to play indoors. He used the litter tray in the bed bit of the hutch here. Add some dried dandies or nice hay in the tray they love to eat and poo. :lol:

Put your OH outside and have buzz inside :lol:

That gave me a cold shiver! When we had our male lop neutered my OH (wife) kept telling me how much tidier he was. I wouldn't allow her make a doctor's appointment for me for years.;)

Back