• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

non-tip bowls.....

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
.....are they really non-tippable?

edgar or eleanor pig (or both) tip their 2 food bowls over a lot and just wheek at me that they want more food - too lazy to forage:roll:

are the non-tip bowls worth it?

Which kind? I just the earthenware Rabbit bowls for my piggies, lol. They've never tipped them over just yet.

My piggies wheeeekkkk in-between feeding times lol. They're such opportunists aren't they?! ;)

Do they turn ceramic bowls over :shock: I use ceramic bowls for all my bunnies, and touch wood, we havent had a bun who tips them up yet :D Apart from Princess Scamp with her water bowl :roll: xXx

yep, they can tip over ceramic bowls:roll: edgar's a big boy tho:D i saw some bowls at the garden centre and it said 'non-tip or spill'. they had plastic ones and (i think) stainless steel ones with a rubber thing around the weighted base:?

yep, they can tip over ceramic bowls:roll: edgar's a big boy tho:D i saw some bowls at the garden centre and it said 'non-tip or spill'. they had plastic ones and (i think) stainless steel ones with a rubber thing around the weighted base:?

I've seen those sort - I honestly don't see how they can be non-tip unless they're on a smooth surface?! How about a Dog sized earthenware dish?

I remember seeing pics of Edgar - gorgeous piggy! :love:

My boys are pretty big but they've not managed to tip their bowls just yet.....

Had you thought of maybe dispensing with the bowl all together? Scatter feeding is great enrichment for buns. :D

I've seen those sort - I honestly don't see how they can be non-tip unless they're on a smooth surface?! How about a Dog sized earthenware dish?

I remember seeing pics of Edgar - gorgeous piggy! :love:

My boys are pretty big but they've not managed to tip their bowls just yet.....

think i'll try a huge ceramic one first then - eleanor will probably sit in it and moan at ed:roll: he's so placid:love:

Had you thought of maybe dispensing with the bowl all together? Scatter feeding is great enrichment for buns. :D

i do that for my buns - this is for my guinea pigs, sorry. i scatter their veg and they'll sniff that out but they won't forage for their dried food, they just act like starving little piggies:roll:

i do that for my buns - this is for my guinea pigs, sorry. i scatter their veg and they'll sniff that out but they won't forage for their dried food, they just act like starving little piggies:roll:

What dimwits! :lol: Mind you, would we like to eat off the floor...?

The piggies that have their holidays here, tip their ceramic bowls on purpose by standing on the edge. They're so lazy they like a conveyor belt movement of constant food delivery to their mouths.
The only solution I can see is an incredibly heavy bowl, or fixing a different type of bowl to the cage somehow.

Mine used to tip their bowl up but don't seem to now they have a heavier one.

I wonder about those baby bowls you get with the suction pad on the base?

With horses people often put their feed bowls inside a tyre to stop them tipping it - you need something like that but on a smaller scale :lol:

mine can't tip a heavy earthenware over (around 15cm + in diameter). I guess that is about large dog sized food or water bowl.

Have you tried one of those dishes that is wider at the base than in the middle (if that makes sense?) My piggies always stand on the edge of their dish but I got them an earthenware type and one which is only about an inch high. It does sometimes tip slightly but they've not yet managed to tip it right over. You can buy quite large versions of a 'flat' earthenware dish - might be worth a try.

thanks for the suggestions. today i bought them a large, heavy ceramic dog bowl. eleanor filled her belly then snuggled up in it and went to sleep. just checked on them again to see if they're ready for play time and the bowl is upside down - little monsters:evil:

they're going to have to learn to forage or starve!

Can you get a 'coup cup' or a dog cage bowl - the sort that you physically attach to the bars of a cage? They could try to tip it up but they'd have a job :lol::lol:. Pea and Pod are big bunnies and they love nothing better then throwing their large dog dish around. Admittedly it's plastic but it's heavy plastic and it's BIG. It's just more of a challenge for them :roll:.

Can you get a 'coup cup' or a dog cage bowl - the sort that you physically attach to the bars of a cage? They could try to tip it up but they'd have a job :lol::lol:. Pea and Pod are big bunnies and they love nothing better then throwing their large dog dish around. Admittedly it's plastic but it's heavy plastic and it's BIG. It's just more of a challenge for them :roll:.

i think it will have to be something that attaches to the cage - i hope they'll be able to reach with their little piggy legs tho:? mind you, i never expected them to tip the new one over - i think edgar pig looked a little guilty......

My Sparkle tips his dish but 3 or 4 huge splodges of bluetack under it and put all your weight on it to make sure it is well stuck sorted that one.:D

Back