• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which of you have cats and house rabbits?

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
How do you co ordinate it - are the rabbits kept separate from the cat at all times, or do you just let everyone free range around the house at random, or do they only exercise together when fully supervised? Would you recommend it or is it really hassle-y?

I know this has been raised before but thought I'd give it another airing to get input from new people too.

I'll tell you why I need to know later. ;)

Louie and Molly cat freerange the whole house the whole of the time, never had any problems.

We have both, in all honesty I think the rabbits would beat the cats every time :lol:

We are happy to let certain cats and bunnies loose together, but I am never far away. But there are other bunnies that I would never allow out when the cats are around. It is all very dependant on the bunny and cat and I am always aware that there could be potential problems and am constant alert for any issues arising :?

I keep mine seperate.
Charlie's a puff and my cats have all been hunters, so I don't trust that they wouldn't attack him.
One of the cats is allowed in my room while Charlie is locked away. The other two are allowed a quick look in my room, but not allowed to stay because Charlie gets annoyed at those two if they're there for longer than a few minutes

I keep mine seperate.
Charlie's a puff and my cats have all been hunters, so I don't trust that they wouldn't attack him.
One of the cats is allowed in my room while Charlie is locked away. The other two are allowed a quick look in my room, but not allowed to stay because Charlie gets annoyed at those two if they're there for longer than a few minutes

Agreed. My cat is a hunter and I just wouldn't. If Frankie gotes for a free range then I am very close by.

I would assess cat and rabbit and make a decision from there.

Agreed. My cat is a hunter and I just wouldn't. If Frankie gotes for a free range then I am very close by.

I would assess cat and rabbit and make a decision from there.

Well when I say hunters... One was a hunter (but he's now too old), one was an obsessive hunter (he's now too lazy and fat) and one tries to be a hunter (but she most she ever did was catch a tame canary, and even then it died of shock instead of her killing it)
still not worth the risk though!

Mine are kept totally seperate - Dizzy (cat) is only 5 months old and far too naughty to be let anywhere near Cookie even supervised. She thinks it's great fun to try and catch Cookie's tail and even though she does it with her claws in, I don't want to take the risk of Cookie turning round and biting her or her hurting him.

Mine are completely separate. Daisy is a menace and lunges at and chases the poor cats :roll: Jester quite likes them but has only met them a few times.

I used to have Daisy living downstairs so the cats were always around (never left unsupervised though). For quite a few months she loved them and would snuggle up with my male cat on the sofa all the time, but when the hormones kicked in she started trying to attack them all. Nowadays I just don't risk it, so it's cats downstairs and bunnies upstairs.

Multi-pet households can be a pain in the bum! I'm always having to check the creatures are in the correct bit of house and no doors left open etc ... o/h gets chastised frequently for letting the cats upstairs in the mornings :oops: :lol:

Seperate most of the time A and E have their own room but they have supervised free range time when they do meet. hey are fine together the only time either cat has shown any agression is when Sandy gently tapped Albert with his paw when he cornered him for investigation :roll:

When I got my 1st bun I kept the cats out the living room whenever Munch was free ranging. When he got a bit bigger I let the cats in while Munch was out & as expected he regarded the living room as his territory & would chase the cats if they were on the floor, cats learnt to keep themselves out of the buns reach.
However buns & cats now share the sofa & there seems to be a truce between them. Ive had these buns & cats together now for nearly 6 years. Cats seem to respect/accept all my new buns as well. :D

When i lived with my ex we had free ranging house buns and Martell (cat) used to go in with them and "chill" out, he never bothered the rabbits and they never bothered him. I guess we were lucky :D

The cats know not to mess with Blue....he is the boss ;) :lol:
That and he scared the sugar out of them before he got deplummed....they make sure they don't get humped again :lol:

The cat is out and about all the time they are in their puppy pen and occasionally they are out together under supervision but Fifi always chases the buns are she has just started pawing them as well :roll:

I think it depends on the bunnies & the cats involved :)

Noah is completely freerange & sleeps with the cats as you can see below :roll: :love:

DSCF4249.jpg

Noah is that chilled he's not bothered in the slightest by the cats & he's as big as them! The cats aren't bothered by him either.

Although there are some of the buns I won't let free range without me supervising them - such as Polly or Tiny Tim - they're that diddy, I wouldn't trust Mia with them :?

Dont keep cats but years ago I had a large toothless bunny who used to chase the neighbourhood cats out of the garden - dont know what he would have done if he caught them :lol:

This photo is hilarious.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have got both cats and house bunnies and, unless I'm out, I keep them all together. The cats get out of the way when Mr Bunny decides to charge.:roll:
However, both of my cats are elderly and wouldn't hurt a fly. (I don't know if they were hunters when they were young, as I've never adopted young cats.)

I've got eight cats and two indoor buns. The buns are free range in the lounge and the cats are only allowed in there when I am home but when I am, I just leave them to it. The cats are used to buns as I have three outdoor ones and they all play together in the garden in the summer.

When I had baby buns I didn't let the cats have unsupervised access - I put a cover on the run so they couldn't reach the buns, but once the buns were full sized I think they would come off better in any altercation.

Mine are kept separate when I am not there. I trust Smirnoff with the bunnies, she sleeps with the rats cuddled up next to her so :lol: I don't think she would ever hurt any of them. But I would never leave them unsupervised because you never know what is going to happen and to be honest she is probably more at risk of being hurt than the rabbits are if they did end up fighting

I have two house bunnies and we pick our two kittens up in 10 days time.

The buns free range in the living room when we're in and have a puppy pen fence (so they have the end of the room and a dog crate) when we're out.

I've done out a room upstairs for the kittens, so they'll be in there when we're out, and its up to them if they come out of their when we're at home.

If they do, then I'll probably let them in the living room but keep the puppy pen fence up and then see what happens. My bunnies are big (french lop and a v large dwarf lop) so long term I hope that they'll develop mutual respect for each other and eventually be ok together when supervised, but I think I might always keep them separate when we're not in. I really think it depends on the animals themselves though so I'm going to take things slowly and wait to see what happens.

If I always have to keep them apart then so be it, but it'd be lovely if one day I found then snuggled up like in Bunnyaddicts pic. :D

Clutterydrawer - go on then, spill the beans, when do yours arrive? :)

I have housebuns and housecats and all are together all the time whether I'm home or not. I've never had any problems. The buns were there first and the cats came in as little kits and have grown up with them.

The only exception was when I first got Lily, she was so tiny I didn't want to risk her getting hurt - even though the cats never gave me any reason to think they'd hurt her, I just thought it best to keep her away from them until she got a bit bigger.

I think an adult bun would beat a cat any day, lol.

Back