• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why are pine woodshavings bad for rabbits?

Yes its the phenols in it which causes respitory probs, in worse cases it can even cause liver damage.

There are lots of other safer beddings to use though, I recommend both megazorb and auboise.

If you want to use shavings, use Aspen ones instead as there are no volitile oils in these.

Why are they used so often in pet shops then? :cry:

Ignorance - and I don't mean that rudely, I used to use them in fact a vet told me to use them so my bun wouldn't pig out on straw or hay bedding 'cos he was fat!

I think a lot of allergies to pets aren't really to the pet but to the woodshavings too - I've suffered itchy eyes when I had hamsters on shavings - I use megazorb now.

:? what about the litter wooden pellets? :roll: I picked 3 bags of them up on offer at morrisons...I think at top of my head they may be pine as they're very light in colour.. *goes to check*

:? what about the litter wooden pellets? :roll: I picked 3 bags of them up on offer at morrisons...I think at top of my head they may be pine as they're very light in colour.. *goes to check*

We used those but have recently been advised that they can give sore hocks :shock: but use your judgement I guess if they aren't pine :)

Back