• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is it...

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
.....that I do the best for my buns - they're neutered, vaccinated, insured, on the best food, lots of hay, limited pellets etc - and yet I always seem to have a bun thats got something wrong with it :(

Whereas these friends who have buns never have any problems:

Friend 1
2 lionheads in separate 4 ft hutches
Not vaccinated
Not neutered/spayed
Fed on muesli
Not enough hay
Hardly get let out
Hardly any veg

Friend 2
2 single Rabbits, each in a 4ft hutch
1 rabbit and 2 guinea pigs in a 2 story 4ft hutch
None spayed
Not neutered
Fed on muesli
Not enough hay
Hardly get let out (she said to me the other day "I've just started letting them out again now the winter's over" :shock: :cry: )
Overweight - she feeds them too many pellets and treats (she told me that she'd fed an entire pack of Aromatic Crunchies between them all in one sitting!)
She also feeds them stuff that's not good for them, i.e potato skins :shock:

I've tried telling them subtley (sp?) ways to improve and i've sent them the safe food lists, links to SS and Excel food online etc, but it just falls on deaf ears

Friend 1 - who happens to be my best mate - even told me that basically i'm talking out of my backside when i was telling Friend 2 about safe foods and she shouldnt feed potato skins etc and that i dont know everything. I dont claim to know everything, but I'm damn certain that I know more than them pair put together

I'm the one that's doing things "right" yet i'm the one will buns who have problems :(

good question.. id like to know why my first and only rabbits in my whole life are both broken :cry::cry::cry::cry:

altho i reakon pearl is only as gentle and wonderful as she is because her heart dont allow aggression, she just dont have the puff :love::love:

Sarah your friends rabbits probably do have things wrong with them, they're just not aware of it! Do you really think they'd notice if their bun had uterine cancer or bladder sludge etc etc?

chin up, at least your doing your best for your buns - no one could ask you to do more :)

Sarah your friends rabbits probably do have things wrong with them, they're just not aware of it! Do you really think they'd notice if their bun had uterine cancer or bladder sludge etc etc?

chin up, at least your doing your best for your buns - no one could ask you to do more :)

thats exactly what I was going to say.

How many times have we taken in bunnies who were supose to be fine but have all had a multitude of problems once checked over by a vet :roll:

If your advice falls on deaf ears.. there is little you can do.
Try sending them the link to this forum and encourage them to join.
All bunny owners learn a lot from this site. You could say it's like a social networking place for bunny owners!

It's because you actually care about your bunnies and can be bothered to take them to the vets when you notice something is wrong

I've often thought the same but realise now its because we care and we notice that our pets are poorly when others just find their pet has died. That's why for instance it was our hamster who was in Renal Failure - because we noticed he was drinking more and weeing lots, took him to the vet and found out what was wrong - another owner wouldn't have noticed and he'd just have died :(

Its similar to the stories you hear of people who are 80yrs +, smoked since they were 11yrs, ate full fat all their lives, never exercised etc. etc, compared to the 30yr old who looked after their health yet dropped down dead with a heart attack.
Some of it really is the luck of the draw, and extremely frustrating!

Its funny me and my mother was talking about this the other day, we look after our rabbits so well, all vaccinated, neutered, all get decent food and hay, regular vet visits, regular time in the runs etc yet something always goes wrong. Whereas my neighbours rabbits, they never get out there hutches and are lucky if they get fed and watered daily (i have been known to water and feed them) yet no problems... well i guess they might have but are too ignorant to do anything about it!

Part of it I think is luck with good genetics. But, like others, I think a lot of it is that when your rabbit is ill, you take it to the vets and find out how to help it whereas your friends just wouldn't notice.

Back