• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick question... What soft things can I buy?

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
For Charlies hutch? So his hock can heal.
Answers asap please as I'm going to town in just over an hour.

Top floor is covered in hay but if I don't want him to push loads of hay out of the hutch if I have it on the bottom floor too. He has a towel at the moment, but he keeps chewing it.

Is there any other nice soft thing that he can safely have that I can buy in town?:wave::wave:

I dont think anything is as good as soft hay to be honest. When peanut had his problems i tried everythign and anything.

There was two things that worked for us, soft hay everywhere (which i think is best) or foam tiles. The foam tiles were good for anywhere that couldnt have hay. I did the shed up with foam tiles everywhere, and then an upstairs area with loads of soft hay and it worked the best.

Vetbed and carpet made is worse, if Charlie is in your bedroom do you let him free range on carpet? If so this will be making it worse as it rubs.

I would personally get some fudierm gel from the vets, because domino gets sore hocks whenever its wet, and i still have some left over from peanut and i rub it in every now and then and it really helps. he doesnt get it bad either, but it helps alot.

ETA - i would take the towell out as it rubs, they didnt help peanut at all. unless its a brand new soft towell it wont do it any good. if you imagine a towell or flannel, they are quite rough. (i dont know the type of towell you are using but im imagining a regular towell?!) xxx

I dont think anything is as good as soft hay to be honest. When peanut had his problems i tried everythign and anything.

There was two things that worked for us, soft hay everywhere (which i think is best) or foam tiles. The foam tiles were good for anywhere that couldnt have hay. I did the shed up with foam tiles everywhere, and then an upstairs area with loads of soft hay and it worked the best.

Vetbed and carpet made is worse, if Charlie is in your bedroom do you let him free range on carpet? If so this will be making it worse as it rubs.

I would personally get some fudierm gel from the vets, because domino gets sore hocks whenever its wet, and i still have some left over from peanut and i rub it in every now and then and it really helps. he doesnt get it bad either, but it helps alot.

ETA - i would take the towell out as it rubs, they didnt help peanut at all. unless its a brand new soft towell it wont do it any good. if you imagine a towell or flannel, they are quite rough. (i dont know the type of towell you are using but im imagining a regular towell?!) xxx

He free ranges on carpet but spends most of his time on my bed when he's out, because hes a little attention seaker :lol:

The towel is just in his cage over the worn part of the wood which I think has caused the problem... It's where he's dug it up and made it really rough and I think its from running across that bit when he binkies into the cage that's started it. I just figured the towel would be a bit softer than that.

I'll see if I can get some foam tiles in town today

He free ranges on carpet but spends most of his time on my bed when he's out, because hes a little attention seaker :lol:

The towel is just in his cage over the worn part of the wood which I think has caused the problem... It's where he's dug it up and made it really rough and I think its from running across that bit when he binkies into the cage that's started it. I just figured the towel would be a bit softer than that.

I'll see if I can get some foam tiles in town today

i got mine from argos if that helps :)
the one sort of matt that DID help a bit was actually a bathmat. depends on the material type but it was very soft.

i got mine from argos if that helps :)
the one sort of matt that DID help a bit was actually a bathmat. depends on the material type but it was very soft.

I'm changing his housing soon hopefully, so when I do I'll make sure I use foam mats as the base of his new pen when I get it.
Devved he's got a poorly hock :( He's so healthy and perfect otherwise

well actually yeh, erm i used double sided tape and then stuck them down to the surface they were staying on, so the letters didnt come out ;)

however argos do also sell packs of four large tiles, and each 1 tile is the same as four of those little ones. they are solid (pink though!)

well actually yeh, erm i used double sided tape and then stuck them down to the surface they were staying on, so the letters didnt come out ;)

however argos do also sell packs of four large tiles, and each 1 tile is the same as four of those little ones. they are solid (pink though!)

I can't find anything on the website :oops: do you know a link for them?

I can't find anything on the website :oops: do you know a link for them?

no, i did buy them half price though, maybe theyve discontinued them? A gym mat works just as well, but depends if charlies a chewer or not. peanut wasnt, so i was fine. x

winnie has sore feet, we use vet bed but they like to pee on it.
Mine are free range and tbh there aint anything that helps trust us we tried everything.
Dont try fuciderm unless vet says so reason being this cream is actually a steroid that thins the skin which is not what you want done to his hocks. We used it for 3 days once for angels sore back but we were told no longer!
We mositurise winnies feet at least once a week depending on how bad they are as if they become dry they crack and makes them worse vet told us to use e45 but we also use just a natural hand moisturiser too which is fine.
If they are to point of really bad then bandage up for few days makes world of difference just 2 days would give them enough time to heal a little. we use gauze strips from chemist cut one pad in half use half on foot and sellotape with tape from chemist we found you do have to stick to fur when using it. So peel off gently.
otherwise grass is best thing for them to be on but not when wet/damp try to keep feet dry. Keep potty dry and they tend to go where they find it soft winnie prefers to sit on sofa and lies with feet kicked out when they are sore.

Back