• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reported a breeder

*fluffybunny*

Warren Scout
I have reported a breeder to the British Rabbit Council. Not sure if I'll get anywhere but basically I got my Lionhead Sophie from this breeder 12 months ago and when i got her home found she had mites. I phoned the breeder who told me to put cat/dog flee powder on her!!!
Don't worry i didn't and took her to my vet for injections.
I've since found her Inscissors don't meet and need regular filing at the vets, and she has just had her first back molar dental (the vet said her back teeth were horrendous!) She's obviously been breeding from dental buns :evil:
My poor lil' bun, we may have to have her inscissors removed soon.
The BRC have come back to me and said they will investigate her, do you think iv'e wasted my time?
I only went to a breeder as I wanted a baby lionhead and i thought as she was BRC registered she'd be OK :(

The BRC is just a club anyone can join without any kind of inspection
Belonging means nothing except you can enter your rabbits for shows

To add though..rabbits can get mites easily and at times of stress such as bonding or moving to a new home , can flare up

The teeth problems are more serious coming from a breeder

I would contact the BRC again and ask for an update

Have you informed the breeder of the problems?

I have reported a breeder to the British Rabbit Council. Not sure if I'll get anywhere but basically I got my Lionhead Sophie from this breeder 12 months ago and when i got her home found she had mites. I phoned the breeder who told me to put cat/dog flee powder on her!!!
I've since found her Inscissors don't meet and need regular filing at the vets, and she has just had her first back molar dental (the vet said her back teeth were horrendous!) She's obviously been breeding from dental buns :evil:
The BRC have come back to me and said they will investigate her, do you think iv'e wasted my time?
I only went to a breeder as I wanted a baby lionhead and i thought as she was BRC registered she'd be OK :(

Being BRC registered means nothing. Any old backyard breeder can join :roll:

I am very sorry that your Bun has dental problems at such a young age :cry:

I noticed the mites as soon as i got her home. She's a house bun and my other bun has never had them. I told the breeder about the mites but as she was so unhelpful i havn't got back to her direct about the teeth problems but have left a message on her guestbook on her website and their response was to call me a liar :censored:
The BRC have been really good so far, they emailed straight back and apologised for my bun suffering and said they will investigate the matter.
I have phoned my vets today and they said they would provide copies of receipts for her treatment as evidence shall it ever be needed. I'm not after any money or anything, just some justice for my little girl.

I noticed the mites as soon as i got her home. She's a house bun and my other bun has never had them. I told the breeder about the mites but as she was so unhelpful i havn't got back to her direct about the teeth problems but have left a message on her guestbook on her website and their response was to call me a liar :censored:
The BRC have been really good so far, they emailed straight back and apologised for my bun suffering and said they will investigate the matter.
I have phoned my vets today and they said they would provide copies of receipts for her treatment as evidence shall it ever be needed. I'm not after any money or anything, just some justice for my little girl.

I had two Rabbits from a Breeder and both had a congenital heart condition (they were Brothers). The breeder accused me of lying too and said that if I 'named and shamed' her she'd 'have her bloke sort me out' :shock: :roll:

She's still breeding from the same genetic line and 'yes' she is a BRC member :roll:

I had two Rabbits from a Breeder and both had a congenital heart condition (they were Brothers). The breeder accused me of lying too and said that if I 'named and shamed' her she'd 'have her bloke sort me out' :shock: :roll:

She's still breeding from the same genetic line and 'yes' she is a BRC member :roll:

:shock: Who the hell do they think they are? They sound like a nice bunch don't they :evil:- so when they aren't breeding them, or they aren't showing them, or petting the ones that are supposedly 'pets' in the most basic terms -they are eating them and threatening decent people who dare to complain and rather than addressing the issue's carry on regardless - and we are supposed to believe these people 'care' about animals and their 'stock' - yeah right-I hope you did report her Jane cheeky cow - grrrrrrrrrrrrrr:evil:

:shock: Who the hell do they think they are? They sound like a nice bunch don't they :evil:- so when they aren't breeding them, or they aren't showing them, or petting the ones that are supposedly 'pets' in the most basic terms -they are eating them and threatening decent people who dare to complain and rather than addressing the issue's carry on regardless - and we are supposed to believe these people 'care' about animals and their 'stock' - yeah right-I hope you did report her Jane cheeky cow - grrrrrrrrrrrrrr:evil:

Yep, but the BRC did nothing as she is 'well respected' amongst them :roll:

Yep, but the BRC did nothing as she is 'well respected' amongst them :roll:

At least you tried, that's all you can do. Well I think that sums up what is important to them £££££££ by any chance? Very disappointing to say the least. :evil:

could her dental problems be corrected if she is stilll so young with a healthy diet and ental burring for now prehaps it will not be nessacery to take away her inscisors, reporting them to brc sadly wont do a lot of good. it might be worth telling the breeder herslef about the problems faced and asking whether she knows the genetic history of her rabbits, dental issues can be a genetic mutation also and in some breeds is due to skull shape, also you can find dietry reasons for rabbits teeth becoming bad too, i think this sort of story is why so many of us are against breeding and wish people took on rescue rabbits instead also be aware lionhead babies can be gotten hold of in rescues also and sadly brc means nothing about their wellfare. hope your bun will be ok. also a lot of breeders use family to breed from to keep strong lines wich obviously is inbreeding and causes genetic mutations and genetic deformitys with time :(

As a BRC breeder, surely she should comply with the BRC's own Codes of Practice? :shock:

There is one specifically for the Sale of rabbits

http://www.thebrc.org/codes.htm#sale

Items 3 and 4 appear to be particularly relevant in this case.

Or don't the BRC's codes of practice apply to a BRC breeder if they don't want it to?:censored:

Last edited:
Sorry to read about your bunny's dental problems. Thankfully she found you and you are getting her treatment. I don't think it does any harm to write to the BRC but, the amount of backstreet breeders I know who are members, does not give me me faith in their organisation. I will be interested in their response.

The problems with Sophie are not related to diet. She loves her hay and veggies and i also suppliment her diet with a small amount of pellets daily.
Her front inscissors actually curl after 4-6 weeks. I have tried gnaw blocks which make no difference.
She is fully vaccinated and neutered and basically spoilt rotten. I would never breed from a rabbit but i am also not totally against all breeders, just the majority of them. There is probably some very good ones out there?
At the time I thought going to a breeder would be better than going to a petshop and there were no lionhead babies locally on RR.

Thanks for all the support for Sopihe, I will do anything in my power for her :)

Last edited:
Bungle was BRC registered. He has terrible teeth and his fur is so fluffy it matts within seconds causing him pain as it pulls out.

He should never had been bred. BRC registration means nothing.

reported a breeder

I have taken in many bunnies with problems from registered BRC breeders:cry:among them was a little french lop girl with splay leg (i paid for this girl to get her out of there:evil:)one full buck who had come first in his class at a rabbit show (again a french lop) who had a huge abcess on his neck:cry:several with only one ear (these were given to me as no one else would want them)a "pure" bred frenchie who turned out to be a cross with a cashmere (can you imagine a huge long haired frenchie sized fuzzball)who was so matted that he couldn't even walk and who took me months to clip out all his matted coat until he was able to be brushed) several babies (german lops) who had coccidia (confirmed by my vet the next day after i got them)I told the breeder about this and said that she should treat all her rabbits and NOT breed from them but was ignored:censored:A german lop girl with ulcerated eyes:censored:and this breeder is still at it:censored:
I hope you get somewhere with your complaint but wouldn't hold out too much:cry:

I've still not heard anything back from them :roll: Whats also very worrying is that this breeder offers 'bunny boarding' considering that my bun was riddles with mites, I wouldn't want to board my buns there!

She also has on her website a guide to mating rabbits :evil: and there is pcture of what has to be the smallest hutch i have ever seen in my life! Its about 1ft x 1ft :cry: poor buns.
I never saw her website when i got Sophie :censored: if i had i wouldn't have gone there but then i'd never had Sophie and i like to think i've saved her :cry:

Below is some questions and 'answers' on their website:-

SHOULD I HAVE MY RABBIT ENOCULATED?
Rabbits only need jabs if they are going to come into contact with wild rabbits ,such as running around or eating on the same grass.
Wild rabbits carry mixamitosis and virial hemerage diseise which is fatal to domestic rabbits.

DO I HAVE TO HAVE THEIR TEETH CLIPPED?
If your rabbit has healthy teeth there should be no need for their teeth to be clipped.
Malaclusion or overlapping teeth is a genetic defult and will cause the rabbit to slowly die of starvation .
Occasionaly malaclusion can be caused if the rabbit has a bump to the mouth.

HAIR PULLING
Broody does do this when they need mating. They will run around their hutch collecting bedding material to make a nest.This is also an indicator that she is pregnant

:roll::roll:

Last edited:
What kind of breeder is running this?? She cant even spell! It's insane, these people should NOT be allowed to continue. Its so obvious and so infuriating that it's all about the money. Grrrr!

I've still not heard anything back from them :roll: Whats also very worrying is that this breeder offers 'bunny boarding' considering that my bun was riddles with mites, I wouldn't want to board my buns there!

She also has on her website a guide to mating rabbits :evil: and there is pcture of what has to be the smallest hutch i have ever seen in my life! Its about 1ft x 1ft :cry: poor buns.
I never saw her website when i got Sophie :censored: if i had i wouldn't have gone there but then i'd never had Sophie and i like to think i've saved her :cry:

Below is some questions and 'answers' on their website:-

SHOULD I HAVE MY RABBIT ENOCULATED?
Rabbits only need jabs if they are going to come into contact with wild rabbits ,such as running around or eating on the same grass.
Wild rabbits carry mixamitosis and virial hemerage diseise which is fatal to domestic rabbits.

DO I HAVE TO HAVE THEIR TEETH CLIPPED?
If your rabbit has healthy teeth there should be no need for their teeth to be clipped.
Malaclusion or overlapping teeth is a genetic defult and will cause the rabbit to slowly die of starvation .
Occasionaly malaclusion can be caused if the rabbit has a bump to the mouth.

HAIR PULLING
Broody does do this when they need mating. They will run around their hutch collecting bedding material to make a nest.This is also an indicator that she is pregnant

:roll::roll:

She not only can't spell, she obviously can't read either. The BRC guidelines are riddled with things that breeders should do. For example:

"The hutch must always be large enough for the rabbit to move around, stretch out full length or make the minimum of three consecutive hops".

How is a 1ftx1ft hutch compatible with that or is it only for that rare breed the "Micro Rabbit"?

Virtually all domestic rabbits do not encounter wild rabbits but they still need innoculations - so where does the veterinary justification for that instruction come from?

Back