• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mucky rear end/lots of drinking

gil

Mama Doe
moet seems to get a mucky rear end every couple of days and seems to be drinking more water? she's fine otherwise and still eats her food-hay, ss pellets, carrot, parsley and broccoli. her oh has no problems. both are 6 but i have noticed that Moet seems to be slowing down a bit-doesn't run around the garden much like she used to while her oh, Chandon still does.
anyone any ideas/advice? thanks

First impression would indicate possibly teeth.

What are the bunny's poos like? Are they big and full of fibre? Are they getting smaller?

A bunny with tooth pain will sometimes drink to sooth the pain and will choose to eat easier things like pellets/veg to keep from being hungry. Upshot will be less fibre in the poos and more mucky ones.

There are many other reasons for a mucky bum e.g. EC, back pain, a change in diet, eating something that hasn't agreed, other infection. Excessive drinking can aslo have several causes, but I have seen this combination in buns with sore mouths.

I'd suggest a vet trip if you are unsure.

It might be worth having a stool sample done. When Ginger and Pickles had worms the runny droppings were only every couple of days - something to do with the worm's life cycle I think.

thanks! her diet hasn't changed at all. the poos that are stuck are like the caecal pellets and v smelly. difficult to tell what the other poo is like as she shares with Chandon. i do see her eating hay tho' but not sure how much of it she's eating. as far as i can tell she still eats all her other food too. at breakfast and dinner the 2 of them share a bowl that has ss pellets, 2 bits carrot, broccoli, some parsley and kale although not always both these greens-depends on what my local fruit shop has.

Back