• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips!

Sparkles

Young Bun
Hello,

I have just purchased a second hand rabbit hutch and run in preparation for the warmer months. I want my bunny to be able to use it during the daytime (he's a house bunny) but it needs a good clean first. Does anyone have a good tip for thoroughly cleaning the wood? I want to make sure it's 100% safe for him before he I let him use it.

Thanks

Thankyou I will try that. I don't plan on using it until April anyway so will make sure that it is super clean before he steps a single paw inside! :love:

I assume it will take a long time before the wood dries out at this time of the year. It's been years since I had outdoor bunnies so I cant remember how I ever managed! :oops:

I have heard vinegar too, but not sure on that. You can put lino on top of the wood anyway, so it will be like a new bottom :) and very easy to clean!

If you can't get it clean, I can recommend buying a new one from <link removed>

All of these are too small, the RSPCA's MINIMUM size for rabbits is 6x2x2

ETA: Oh dear, you say that all your hutches are fine with RSPCA guidelines, and yet most rabbits would not be able to hop ONCE, let alone the four that you claim they will. Runs need to be 6x4x2.

See this for more information regarding rabbits and the animal welfare act:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/animal_welfare_bill_lft.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I would clean the hutch thoroughly - remove every trace of left over bedding, brushing with a stiff brush (dispose of away from your own rabbits), then I would scrub the whole thing out with a bleach solution (10%) before rinsing well (again be careful where the bleach water goes - you don't want it on the grass where your rabbits will go!). Alternatively if you have one you could steam clean the hutch. I would then give it a coat of pet safe wood preserver and lay lino or vinyl tiles inside the hutch.

Back