PDA

View Full Version : Is anything happening with the 'Make mine chocolate' campaign this year?

bunnyhopper
08-03-2010, 05:04 PM
The easter bunny problem is already starting to show on my local freecycle...

'Has anyone got a hutch I can have as I have promised my daughter a rabbit for Easter, but all the little extras are mounting up and getting expensive'...was on my local fc last night.

As if a hutch was a little extra.... but anyway :roll:

Is there a 'Make mine chocolate' thing going on this year, like last year?

bunnyhopper
08-03-2010, 05:25 PM
For anyone who wasn't around last Easter... and doesn't know what I am talking about, have a look here
http://www.makeminechocolate.org/

I have found the UK facebook group if anyone is interested in supporting them...
make mine chocolate facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=70956252032&ref=search&sid=1733007499.1577737788..1&v=info#!/group.php?v=info&ref=search&gid=70956252032)

It's all about chocolate bunnies instead of real ones.:)

janice
08-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Make Mine Chocolate! is asking pet shops who sell rabbits to not sell them over two weeks of Easter, we have been informed that there is at least 1 pet shop who is supporting this. Whilst this is not much, it is a start.

There has been a press release sent out to many of the newspapers in the UK, with more press releases to come.

The MMC Blog http://www.makeminechocolate.co.uk/blog/ will contain details of any press releases which are sent out. We are hoping that some of the newspapers will publish them.

We are also in need of the support of any rescues in collecting data to do with any rabbits who are handed over to rescues to give us details of where these rabbits have come from. Any data can either be downloaded directly on to the website or a paper version can be completed and posted to MMC.

mini lop1
08-03-2010, 05:40 PM
i sent a copy of the latest press release to my local paper, lets hope they use it :wave:

Elena
08-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Edited cos maybe I is saying too much just yet. :lol:

janice
08-03-2010, 05:54 PM
i sent a copy of the latest press release to my local paper, lets hope they use it :wave:

Thank you for that, which is the paper you have contacted?

mini lop1
08-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Thank you for that, which is the paper you have contacted?

bury times :wave:

janice
08-03-2010, 06:11 PM
bury times :wave:

Thank you, they are already on our mailing list, and will have already recieved this, we have contacted them via the News Editor, Steve Orrell.

We have spent hours making lists of all the newspapers in the country and all the press releases are being sent to all those on the list. We are planning to run a series of press releases which will be sent out via our list.

Snowberry
08-03-2010, 06:13 PM
I have a contact at my local newspaper- Mansfield Chad if you want anything sending to them.

Gem
08-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Where can I find the press release? Its possible I'm being blind and not seeing it....would like to send it to the local papers down here if they're not on your list :wave:

parsnipbun
08-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Try contacting Notcutts branch near Cambridge - they stopped selling at Xmas for a couple of weeks and am pretty sure they would do the same at Easter if pressed.

janice
08-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Please can I request that people do not forward the press release to their local paper as we already have sent it to over 500 papers in the county.

We would like papers to view it and hopefully use it in their papers. If they are sent the same release more than once, we don't want them to feel that they are being hastled and then not do something with it.

The Manchester Chad is one who has been contacted.

The press release is http://www.makeminechocolate.co.uk/blog/?p=234 however less pictures are posted on the blog than has been sent to the papers as I only can post one picture on the blog.

Hope that this clarifies things

janice
08-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Try contacting Notcutts branch near Cambridge - they stopped selling at Xmas for a couple of weeks and am pretty sure they would do the same at Easter if pressed.

Thank you, I will pass this information on

bunnyhopper
08-03-2010, 06:48 PM
I have perused the UK and US mmc sites to see if I can find a poster that would be suitable to put up in my local school. There doesn't seem to be a 'child friendly' poster there.

Would it be an idea for RU'ers to design a good poster that could be printed by us and distributed to our local areas? If lots of RUers got behind the campaign, the word could be spread a long way.

I don't know if this is treading on any toes, so am asking before I do anything silly.

janice
08-03-2010, 07:09 PM
I have perused the UK and US mmc sites to see if I can find a poster that would be suitable to put up in my local school. There doesn't seem to be a 'child friendly' poster there.

Would it be an idea for RU'ers to design a good poster that could be printed by us and distributed to our local areas? If lots of RUers got behind the campaign, the word could be spread a long way.

I don't know if this is treading on any toes, so am asking before I do anything silly.

There are a few posters you can print off which are on the MMc website http://www.makeminechocolate.co.uk/material.php you are welcome to print off as many as you would like and display them.

There will shortly be some new posters which have been designed by MMC which are currently at the printers, which will shortly be available.

We are currently working on a number of areas to help promote the MMC campaign.

areia
08-03-2010, 07:46 PM
is there any way i can buy or get some A4 posters, or anyone who can print some for me, i havent got a printer anymore mine broke.

I distributed a few last years would like to put up more this year,

Snowberry
08-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Please can I request that people do not forward the press release to their local paper as we already have sent it to over 500 papers in the county.

We would like papers to view it and hopefully use it in their papers. If they are sent the same release more than once, we don't want them to feel that they are being hastled and then not do something with it.

The Manchester Chad is one who has been contacted.

The press release is http://www.makeminechocolate.co.uk/blog/?p=234 however less pictures are posted on the blog than has been sent to the papers as I only can post one picture on the blog.

Hope that this clarifies things

My local one is the Mansfield Chad not Manchester. Totally different papers. I am sure they would print it if I speak to my friend, he is the senior editor.

janice
08-03-2010, 07:55 PM
My local one is the Mansfield Chad not Manchester. Totally different papers. I am sure they would print it if I speak to my friend, he is the senior editor.

Thanks we did the Mansfield Chad. The editorial email contact we used was newsdesk@chad.co.uk

If you personally know the Senior Editor it would be great if you could encourage them to use it. The press release we have sent out is the first of a number which are lined up.

Snowberry
08-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks we did the Mansfield Chad. The editorial email contact we used was newsdesk@chad.co.uk

If you personally know the Senior Editor it would be great if you could encourage them to use it. The press release we have sent out is the first of a number which are lined up.

I will ask him if he has received it and tell him he needs to publish it.

janice
08-03-2010, 08:16 PM
I will ask him if he has received it and tell him he needs to publish it.

Thanks.

The Duchess
08-03-2010, 08:49 PM

Hi there,

Just to add to Janice's reponse, the posters that MMC currently put out are really aimed at the adult in the family as it is adults that normally make the impulse purchases, children under 16 not being able to make a purchase of animals legally. Whilst it's the kids with pester power, the adults ultimately make the decision of whether to buy a bun or not. So, you are right that the posters are aimed more at the older viewer as it is the grown up that we are trying to appeal to.

I can see no reason why you couldn't make your own posters for your school giving the don't impulse buy rabbits message. As far as MMC producing something, it's not currently planned but we can certainly take it to committee for discussion in the future.

MMC are in the process of putting together some educational/teachers packs aimed at younger children, working closely with school teachers and educators in designing something that will inform kids whilst they have fun. These are planned for later this year.

Helen

bunnyhopper
08-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Very valid points being raised Janice and Helen.
The campaign is obviously being well run and thought out, and to all of you at the sharp end.. I wish you all the best with it.

In the meantime, I am going to 'borrow' your 'make mine chocolate' avatar, and post it, so all of us that support the mmc cause can do the same and at least show our support.

Here is the 'make mine chocolate' emblem, for anyone wanting to add it for their avatar...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/smartkidsmum/bunny%20stuff/mmc.jpg

The Duchess
08-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Very valid points being raised Janice and Helen.
The campaign is obviously being well run and thought out, and to all of you at the sharp end.. I wish you all the best with it.

In the meantime, I am going to 'borrow' your 'make mine chocolate' avatar, and post it, so all of us that support the mmc cause can do the same and at least show our support.

Here is the 'make mine chocolate' emblem, for anyone wanting to add it for their avatar...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/smartkidsmum/bunny%20stuff/mmc.jpg

And if you are on Facebook you could join our group too - one way of being kept up to date when we have relevent snippets or broadcasts to make. You are then all a captive audience! http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=70956252032&ref=ts

Sam_Spice
09-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Our local Gloucestershire citizen/echo published the article as a main feature last year :wave:

bunnyhopper
09-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Do you think they would publish on the freecycle sites? If not the fc page then maybe the cafe/forum pages?
This is where lots of easter bunnies end up.

VickiP
09-03-2010, 04:30 PM
:wave: My local rag is the Portsmouth News do you want me to contact them at all? I have joined that FB group :)

The Duchess
09-03-2010, 04:54 PM
:wave: My local rag is the Portsmouth News do you want me to contact them at all? I have joined that FB group :)

Hi Vicki.

What we are trying to avoid is that newspapers are bombarded with the same press release and I believe that nearly all the UK publications have been sent the release - taken from the full list of newspapers available. If you wanted to contact them directly, you could write something personal to you, give it a local twist and mention the campaign, that way it would be additional reinforcement to the literature that they will already have received.

Thank you.

Helen

Dustyrabbit
09-03-2010, 05:04 PM
I hope I can get a new badge as mine went missing in December - I'd been wearing it all year up till then :(

BB Mommy
09-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Hi Vicki.

What we are trying to avoid is that newspapers are bombarded with the same press release and I believe that nearly all the UK publications have been sent the release - taken from the full list of newspapers available. If you wanted to contact them directly, you could write something personal to you, give it a local twist and mention the campaign, that way it would be additional reinforcement to the literature that they will already have received.

Thank you.

Helen

I've done this for our local papers - written to the letters page quoting the MMC campaign and encouraged people to come and visit the rescue to see good rabbit accommodation and to pick up tips on responsible rabbit ownership.

janice
09-03-2010, 11:24 PM
I hope I can get a new badge as mine went missing in December - I'd been wearing it all year up till then :(

MMC merchandise is being sold via the Hayexperts https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Make+Mine+Chocolate%21%99.140/?osCsid=668o8u7oqkb6m2hdnadijridq3

Very shortly a variety of a clothing will be available to purchase via the MMC website.

VickiP
09-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Hi Vicki.

Thank you.

Helen

Hi Helen, yes I totally agree with you, I thought I'd ask but, it sounds like you have done quite a comprehensive mailing already and as you said it can be overkill which can go against the campaign, I am always willing to help out in this area with emails, letters, visits but, will wait for it to be requested I think;)

Snowberry
10-03-2010, 09:44 PM

It will be featured in next weeks paper!

The Duchess
10-03-2010, 09:46 PM
It will be featured in next weeks paper!

Fantastic!

w1lll
10-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Was going to buy one of the cookie cutters but the hay experts isn't working for me ATM :(

janice
10-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Thank you so much, if you have a scanner would you be able to scan in what they put in the paper and email it to janice@makeminechocolate.co.uk

janice
10-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Was going to buy one of the cookie cutters but the hay experts isn't working for me ATM :(

If you are having problems ordering on line, ring Lisa in the daytime and I am sure she can sort something out for you.

georgie_f
10-03-2010, 09:58 PM
I know you've already said you've contacted as many papers as you can but have you contacted the Isle of Wight County Press (we often get forgotton down here! :lol:).

I'm thinking if you haven't, I'll get in touch, and if you have, I'll send a follow up email and see if they'd like to come round and take some pictures of my buns and they're set ups for using with a possible article. The local classifieds website is rife with easter bunny adverts already :( ie.....

i have 2 baby bunnies ready for easter for sale both grey mother and father can be seen, father is white mother is grey. we are handling then. dont be left out reserve your baby rabbit now ready for easter can be taken anywhen from 30th march thanks for looking please email me if you'd like to know anything else 10 each

Urgh, doesn't it make you sick.

janice
10-03-2010, 10:36 PM
I know you've already said you've contacted as many papers as you can but have you contacted the Isle of Wight County Press (we often get forgotton down here! :lol:).

I'm thinking if you haven't, I'll get in touch, and if you have, I'll send a follow up email and see if they'd like to come round and take some pictures of my buns and they're set ups for using with a possible article. The local classifieds website is rife with easter bunny adverts already :( ie.....

i have 2 baby bunnies ready for easter for sale both grey mother and father can be seen, father is white mother is grey. we are handling then. dont be left out reserve your baby rabbit now ready for easter can be taken anywhen from 30th march thanks for looking please email me if you'd like to know anything else 10 each

Urgh, doesn't it make you sick.

We have contacted the Isle of Wight County Press and also The Gazette.

Please can we request that you don't chase up any papers on MMC's behalf as we are running a series of press releases and we know that people chasing papers actually puts them off and makes them less likely to print and article.

If you wish to write to the papers with your own article and photos which is something personal to you and your local area, and wish to mention the campaign, you can reinforce what they will already have received.

georgie_f
11-03-2010, 12:23 PM

Please can we request that you don't chase up any papers on MMC's behalf as we are running a series of press releases and we know that people chasing papers actually puts them off and makes them less likely to print and article.

If you wish to write to the papers with your own article and photos which is something personal to you and your local area, and wish to mention the campaign, you can reinforce what they will already have received.

No worries :wave: If you don't want me to, I won't. I do kind of think however, that as these are local papers, they might be more likely to run the story if someone local gets in touch. :?: I don't mean everyone from the Island with a rabbit should bombard them with emails of course! :lol:

I emailed the pet shops I use (the ones I don't use don't give a stuff about welfare so I didn't bother emailing them :roll:) and I've had an email back from 'Pets With Hart'. They sell bunnies and other little critters. They've printed off the posters and they're on display around the shop. Woot!! :wave:

janice
11-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by janice-arc

No worries If you don't want me to, I won't. I do kind of think however, that as these are local papers, they might be more likely to run the story if someone local gets in touch. I don't mean everyone from the Island with a rabbit should bombard them with emails of course!

I emailed the pet shops I use (the ones I don't use don't give a stuff about welfare so I didn't bother emailing them ) and I've had an email back from 'Pets With Hart'. They sell bunnies and other little critters. They've printed off the posters and they're on display around the shop. Woot!!

QUOTE]

Thank you for contacting your local pet shops.

I am not sure if you have misinterpreted what I have said, we would welcome people to contact their local papers on their own behalf with a story of their own, even mentioning the campaign. All we are asking is that people do not chase their local papers on the behalf of MMC.

Snowberry
11-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Thank you so much, if you have a scanner would you be able to scan in what they put in the paper and email it to janice@makeminechocolate.co.uk

Yep I will do. I will try get hold of a copy of it for you and post it but we dont get the paper in my village so will ask my friend to save me a copy.

janice
11-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Yep I will do. I will try get hold of a copy of it for you and post it but we dont get the paper in my village so will ask my friend to save me a copy.

Thank you so much. Shall I PM you my address?

Snowberry
11-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Thank you so much. Shall I PM you my address?

Yes please. Hopefully it will be in Wednesdays edition, if not it will be the week after.

janice
14-03-2010, 06:08 PM
The new Make Mine Chocolate! Easter 2010 capaign poster is now out and can be downloaded and printed out from http://www.makeminechocolate.co.uk/material.php

http://i40.tinypic.com/2q21jkj.jpg

Please can people print this out and encourage people to display this in vets, petshops and anywhere that people who are likely to buy rabbits on impulse may visit.

We do ask that people do ask permision to display the poster before doing so.