• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with bonding 2 male bunnys.

Mel D

Warren Scout
Hello, I have a 8mth old standard rex who has been neutered, I bought a 10week old dwarf lop yesterday that I was hoping to bond with. I put them together and they just sniffed and just played around for around 15mins.
Today I left them out for longer and for the first 20mins everything seemed fine then the baby rabbit kept trying to mount the big rabbit but the big rabbit didn't like it and tried to run or nip him so after about half an hour I put them back in their separate cages.
How long does it take before I can put them in the same cage and is there anything else I should be doing?
Thanks

You need some good advice from the bonding experts on this site. Trying to bond two male buns can and often does lead to serious fights, that can cause bad injuries, even more so, when one hasn't been neutered.

I am no bonding expert, so will bump this up for you until someone who knows what they are talking about can tell you what to do next.

I wouldn't even consider bonding two unrelated males until they had both been castrated and enough time had passed to let hormones die down

Hi :wave:

I have two bonded males, though they had already bonded themselves as babies (that's why I got them - they were sat snuggling and licking each other and I couldn't bear the thought of them being seperated!). They were neutered the minute they were old enough and then "rebonded" after the op.

I agree with Liz (Hugo's There), I would wait until your lop is neutered before putting them together, as they don't already know each other. I found some great advice on bonding on this site, try looking in the Behaviour and Bonding section.

Good luck!

I wouldn't even consider bonding two unrelated males until they had both been castrated and enough time had passed to let hormones die down

I agree with this :wave: Males will try to castrate each other if they fight. If your little bunny is mounting the big bunny, and big bunny turns, you could have a very poorly bunny on your hands :(

You need to wait until little bunny is neutered, and even then, the relationship probably wont be as strong as a male/female bond xx

You need to wait until little bunny is neutered, and even then, the relationship probably wont be as strong as a male/female bond xx

I disagree with this. I had two bonded males Roger and Barney. Roger passed away suddenly in January. They were together all the time. Snuggling, eating, grooming. When Roger passed away Barney was heartbroken, it was the first time I've heard a bunny cry :(

I have another new pair of males, that are with my youngest girl. All 3 get along famously.

I honestly believe it all comes down to the personality of the buns involved.

Warning Graphic Image Of Injury/vet Intervention

I agree too - sadly boys are very good at castrating each other (or at least trying to)

This photo is the end result of two unneutered boys trying to save their parent the castration fees. Sadly this boy died from his injuries.

UnneuteredMalesScrotumDamage003.jpg

Please don't try and bond them now. Wait until they are both hormone free and make sure you are happy with the bonding process and how it works.

You may find that you won't actually be able to bond them as two boys is not an easy combination. Not impossible but very difficult. I have bonded a trio of male nethies before so it shows that it just depends on the rabbits involved. You might want to make a plan for what happens if they don't like each other.

I do hope that this all works out for you.

Helen

I agree too - sadly boys are very good at castrating each other (or at least trying to)

This photo is the end result of two unneutered boys trying to save their parent the castration fees. Sadly this boy died from his injuries.

UnneuteredMalesScrotumDamage003.jpg

Please don't try and bond them now. Wait until they are both hormone free and make sure you are happy with the bonding process and how it works.

You may find that you won't actually be able to bond them as two boys is not an easy combination. Not impossible but very difficult. I have bonded a trio of male nethies before so it shows that it just depends on the rabbits involved. You might want to make a plan for what happens if they don't like each other.

I do hope that this all works out for you.

Helen

:cry::cry::cry:

Hello again, I should have added that the un-neutered boy is being done this week, and that it was a complete fluke that they've bonded so easily with him not being done.

NEVER try to bond two un-neutered buns, a recipe for disaster.

Hi, The 8mth old male is neutered and is very friendly and tame it is the baby dwarf lop that isn't neutered yet because he is only 10 weeks old..

When the baby is old enough he will get neutered.
They are very good friends at the moment here is a picture of them.

cookieandsmudge.jpg

A Lillian has said male rabbits can be neutered as soon as their testicles descend which is anything from 12 weeks old. If you are planning to try and bond your boy with another male book him in as soon as this happens. Please do not leave it until he is 5 months old.

I disagree with this. I had two bonded males Roger and Barney. Roger passed away suddenly in January. They were together all the time. Snuggling, eating, grooming. When Roger passed away Barney was heartbroken, it was the first time I've heard a bunny cry :(

I have another new pair of males, that are with my youngest girl. All 3 get along famously.

I honestly believe it all comes down to the personality of the buns involved.

Completely agree :)

The Bucks MUST be neutered but it is perfectly possible to bond two males.
My male bonds have been the easiest of all :)

Back