• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello everyone

Claire F

New Kit
Hi everyone :wave:

My name is Claire, I live in Cheshire with my husband, little boy and our cats. We have just purchased two 8 week old lop eared Rabbits from Pets at Home. One is pure white with blue eyes and the other is white with brown nose/markings and long haired (I believe a cross between Angora and Lop)

I will take some photos later and post them on here. Then you can tell me exactly what kind of Lop rabbit they are. Not sure if they are French, Dwarf etc

Look forward to talking to you all. I can see this forum will be a great help.

Thanks, Claire

Welcome to the forum Claire!

Do you know the genders of your rabbits?
looking forward to hearing more about them. :wave:

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You will probably have to get your boys neutered when they are old enough as hormones can even cause brothers to fight!

Hiya :wave: Welcome to the forum :) Id get the boys sexed at the vets if i were you ;) The vet will do it when they go for their first vaccination anyway :) Look foward to seeing some pics, they both sound very pretty :love: xXx

Hiya :wave: Welcome to the forum :) Id get the boys sexed at the vets if i were you ;) The vet will do it when they go for their first vaccination anyway :) Look foward to seeing some pics, they both sound very pretty :love: xXx

Hiya. Welcome to RU.

I'd agree with the above.

Sadly P@H aren't the best at getting the sexes of rabbits right and I'd get them checked by a vet before you have any little unexpected suprises.

Helen

Hi Helen

Well funny enough, I took the Angora cross one to the Vets at P@H this morning as he had some mats on his bum (and I only got him Fri so wanted them to get them out). The Vet Nurse thinks he is a little girl so there you go ! I am taking them both back next week for their vac's so will check again. Will be neutering them anyway when they are old enough but now I need to change their names.....my little boy had called them Buzz and Woody :D

Claire

Hiya. Welcome to RU.

I'd agree with the above.

Sadly P@H aren't the best at getting the sexes of rabbits right and I'd get them checked by a vet before you have any little unexpected suprises.

Helen

Well that was lucky you got them checked. :D

You will need to discuss neutering asap with your vet - unfortunatley you don't have very long until you could have an unplanned pregnancy. Some vets will neuter boys from 12 weeks others not until 4 months old - then the male can still be fertile for a good 6 weeks after so you need to plan carefully. Most vets like the female to be about 5/6 months for neutering.

If one of the buns is longer haired and prone to mats its wise to choose your bedding carefully to avoid it getting tangled - avoid woodshavings which are best avoided by all as they can cause respiratory problems, some people use vet bed/fleece but you need to make sure they don't chew it. Feed hay from a hayrack.

You will need to keep on top of grooming - every day is best for long haired rabbits - did P@H advise you of this?

I presume you are keeping them indoors as having been used to shop temperatures at P@H they won't be ready for the big outdoors until the weather is warmer.

Oh and Hello and Welcome by the way :wave:

P.S If they are living together and you wish them to remain bonded, if one goes to the vet, take the other one too.

Hi - yes - they did warn me about daily grooming - I work at home so am fine with that ... I just didn't realise how many mats he had when I bought him. Getting them out slowly though :D

I am avoiding sawdust. I am using the P@H wood pellet litter at the moment (the big cat bags) and have hay from a feeder. They seem fine with this. I am taking them for their vacc's next week so will check again re: sex and will ask what age they will neuter them. Thanks for the tip about taking them both to the vets. I only took the Angora one today but I will ensure I take them both regardless in future.

Yes, they are both in an indoor cage in the spare bedroom at the moment, when it gets warmer they will go outside. Their new run came today, can't wait to get it up. Here is the one I got

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330410253137&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Claire

Well that was lucky you got them checked. :D

You will need to discuss neutering asap with your vet - unfortunatley you don't have very long until you could have an unplanned pregnancy. Some vets will neuter boys from 12 weeks others not until 4 months old - then the male can still be fertile for a good 6 weeks after so you need to plan carefully. Most vets like the female to be about 5/6 months for neutering.

If one of the buns is longer haired and prone to mats its wise to choose your bedding carefully to avoid it getting tangled - avoid woodshavings which are best avoided by all as they can cause respiratory problems, some people use vet bed/fleece but you need to make sure they don't chew it. Feed hay from a hayrack.

You will need to keep on top of grooming - every day is best for long haired rabbits - did P@H advise you of this?

I presume you are keeping them indoors as having been used to shop temperatures at P@H they won't be ready for the big outdoors until the weather is warmer.

Oh and Hello and Welcome by the way :wave:

P.S If they are living together and you wish them to remain bonded, if one goes to the vet, take the other one too.

Back