• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hair Loss Inside/Outside - Urgent

Charlotte333

Warren Scout
I was grooming Jasper (7 yrs old) and Holly (4 yrs old) mini lops yesterday as Holly is moulting. After grooming Jasper I noticed as large area of hair had completely come away leaving bare skin:roll:

I'll be taking Jasper to the vets this evening as I don't understand the hair loss.

I need to some advice on whether I should bring Jasper and Holly indoors until it is warmer outside. They live in 7ft by 2.5ft hutch and have daily access to a separate run. Today I have left them in their hutch as it will definitely be to cold in the run. Last night I gave them a heatpad and extra straw for bedding. I didn't bring them inside last night as it was to hot indoors. The heating has now been turned off!

I'm worried as I always seem to make the wrong decision with Rabbits:roll:

I don't think this is anything to worry about. I have a mini lop and the last week or so he has been melting also. This is the first time I have seen him shedding this much hair but he seems to be acting normal and healthy. I have had him a year and a half now so I am guessing he was about due for a big one? I actually was just reading online about melting and this picture in an example I saw looked just like him so I feel a little better now. I am going to go get a brush though so I can brush off some of the excess hair.
Here is the site I was looking at. My bun's hair looks like the middle one.

Where is it? It it's base of neck/shoulder area or just above tail, it could be mites?

Failing that - I had a minilop & a foster-nethie that loved being groomed & I accidently went overboard & baldinated them:oops:

Thanks for your messages.

I lost Hattie in mid-February due to a blockage. Since then I have been double checking my other five rabbits and grooming them everyday when they start to moult.

However I have gone overbroad with Jasper and there is now a large patch with no hair across his back:roll: I'm now very worried that he'll get to cold due to the lack of hair. I'm not sure whether I should bring Jasper and Holly indoors or whether this would be to stressful due to my indoor Rabbit Smudge and my four cats.

Don't beat yourself up!! For starters...if your bunny was wild (I know they are very domesticated but humour me...!!) Then they'd have no one to groom them, the blockage wasn't your fault and by the sounds of it you didn't neglect your bunny!!!

Sounds like you have done everything you can to keep them warm and if the house is busy with buns, cats and humans it may be too stressfull. as long as the bun is kept warm and toasty and the bald patch is not too big he should be fine. Did you take him to the vet? if so what did they advise? they (usually) know best afterall!!:D

The vet advised that it wasn't mites and should start to grow back within a week. They said to keep him with warm with extra hay etc and he should be ok.

I think you got your answer!! :) If your worried you can also line the bottome of the bed with Micro Fleece!! That stuf is really warm! :)

Back