• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Better question... What's the best indoor accomidation?

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
Preferably that isn't really expensive because I only have about £50 saved so the most it costs, the longer it'll take to get!

So what is the best housing for an indoor bunny? He's in my bedroom :)

He currently just has a hutch but it's a Thistle Hall and tbh I want something that's going to work out with more floor space for him

We are in the same position :)

Free range is obviously the best choice, but for us it wouldn't work. We have settled on a NIC cubes construction, that way you can build it to whatever dimensions/shape you need to fit your room. You'll spend about £35 on cubes and then another £20 on flooring, so its reasonably priced too. The best thing about them is that you can build up and give them levels :D

In the evening we then let him have free range with lots of toys and interaction.

btw steph182 your bun is gorgeous :love:

Could work, only thing is I'd have to move my hamster who lives on top of his hutch :lol:

I have two pairs who have different things.

Lops have a dog crate that is open all the time unless I am hoovering. They free-range in my bedroom and sometimes landing as well, go outside in a large run in summer during the day while someone is around.

Lionheads have a 5 by 3 by 3 NIC cube enclosure and have free-range time during the day from about 9am until about 7pm.

Personally I prefer the dog crate and free-range all the time idea, it's much easier to clean. I would like to do that for the lionheads but I have the enclosure done and sorted and Smudge is still a bit destructive as he's young. Maybe in the future when this room is a bit more sorted I will be able to do that.

Think I'll go for the dog crate, seems cleaner... And I'll add a pen onto it as well the second I can get the money for it. He gets literally as much time out as he wants anyway, he only has to be in his hutch when I'm out or asleep (he's asleep right now anyway so he doesn't want to come out:lol: )

This is our dog crate.

Photo0106-vi.jpg

We put a base in or wood and lino and then a second shelf of more wood and lino and vetbed. I know the shelf head room it's not very high but that's where they sleep. They don't go up there apart from that. And underneath they only ever go in for hay and for pooing and weeing. The rest of the time they spend on the carpet or sleeping on the bed.

Just free range. I will a piccie of Snowdrops set up later but basically she has a rug in the corner of our room with her food and water bowls on and then she has free range of the room.

She sleeps under our bed.

If said bunny is litter trained, a puppy pen would be easier to keep clean. If he/she isnt litter trained, then i agree, a dog crate would be best.

Scamp has an 8 sided puppy pen in the lounge, hes in there when we are out, and when we go to bed. He has his own piece of carpet under the puppy pen as OH didnt want the carpet ruined :? We sweep the pen daily as she gets hay everywhere, but other than that its not messy :) I also know, when i go out she has plenty of room to binky etc :) xxx

I like my indoor cage as a base because I can put hay on the floor for them to eat and it doesnt make a mess all over the floor and then they have the whole livingroom/kitchen but if you need to restrain them then I would suggest an indoor cage with a NIC set up to be used as boundries........

I have a dog crate for Magic, a hutch for my big girls, and a NIC grid home for Smokey (only untill big girls are spayed)

the dog crate was the cheapest - £33 fro 48" crate
I spent around £80 on NIC grids (including delivery)
and I got my hutch built for free :D, but the one I was going to be buying was £150 +

this is Magics crate -
SAM_1233.jpg

this is the big girls hutch (top level is just being used as storage for the mo but may be getting filled with another little bun soon)
SAM_1066.jpg

and this is Smokey's "poorly pen" (he just got neutered)
SAM_1003.jpg

I used to have a crate with pen attached, I absolutely hated it, all the hay got trapped around the bottom and it was a nightmare trying to clean it out, I had to wire up the bottom half with weldmesh cos sorrel could squeeze out through it, and the door was in the way.

Now I have two, 6 panel pens joined together to make a big rectangle, the bunnies love it and it doesn't feel like it dominates my living room like the crate did :)

Might just go with a pen then :) And put a few boxes in for him.

He is litter trained but has had the odd accident now and then, but he never pees on the floor outside his hutch so it should be fine

oh and here is a photo :) It's also good cos it's really adaptable, I can make it as big or as small as I want, and if I'm at home all day I take off one of the pens and put it across the front door so the fresh air can get in without bunnies getting out!

18a4.jpg

oh and here is a photo :) It's also good cos it's really adaptable, I can make it as big or as small as I want, and if I'm at home all day I take off one of the pens and put it across the front door so the fresh air can get in without bunnies getting out!

18a4.jpg

I think I'll just do that :D Where do you get decent pens from? P@H?

I think I'll just do that :D Where do you get decent pens from? P@H?

I got both mine from P@H, they were £30 each...you might find them cheaper online though

Oh but they're only 2' tall so if your bun is a jumper you might prefer to consider somethign with a lid eg NIC grids or a crate :? sorrel used to occasionaly leap out till I made a retractable lid out of a net curtain and some bamboo canes :)

I got both mine from P@H, they were £30 each...you might find them cheaper online though

Oh but they're only 2' tall so if your bun is a jumper you might prefer to consider somethign with a lid eg NIC grids or a crate :? sorrel used to occasionaly leap out till I made a retractable lid out of a net curtain and some bamboo canes :)

I thought the P@H ones had a net top on them?
I don't really know if he's a jumper, the only thing he does is jump on my bed a lot!

Back