• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

had a bad afternoon :(

Rex's_Mummy

Young Bun
Its been lovely and warm here today so i let Rex out the back garden, i didnt have much of a choice anyway coz he can use the cat flap.

I decided to clean out Blue and Ash coop and run this afternoon, while i did i let them out in the garden so i could get to the coop better. As soon as i did Rex lunged at Blue and ragged her, it took me about 20 seconds to get him off her!
I was so stunned, he was always been ok with the girls, nothing major to worry about, he has been hopping about the run most of the day touching noses with her through the chicken wire, this came out of no where.

Blue is hurt, got a few marks, no vet will see her tonight coz i dont get paid untill tomorrow which im am totally outraged at! i have phoned all the vets in the area but they all said no, surely they should have a duty of care to any animal who is injured?!!!! i have been sobbing down the phone to 4 different vets and they all said, no pay no treatment, even tho i can pay in the morning! the call out charge alone was £70, surely if im willing to pay that rather than wait till tomorrow then it shows she is hurt!!
so for now i have bought her inside, bathed her grazes with antiseptic lotion and will so i can keep an eye on her, she is hopping about and eating so thats a good sign, vets first thing tomorrow morning for her tho.

What im most upset about tho is Rex, i have now lost all trust in him and i am very warey of being around him, he always chases my cats but i just asumed that was play, but now im worried about it incase he ever gets hold of them, what if he does this to me or my kids one day?

Does anyone have any experiance on this, i dont want to be scared of him, i love him to bits, i dont want to re home him either, what can i do?

My rex Belle got hold of Littlebun the other day, she had been sitting and they had all been sniffing each other through the cage etc....she managed to squeeze out, grabbed Lb and tore a big hole in her back :cry:
I had to go to the emergency vets and pay upfront too (£129 just to see me)
I asked about my insurance etc but as they are an independant company i had to pay and am waiting (hopefully) for petplan to send me a cheque...
I was annoyed with the response too, i had to scrape the money together from various places to pay.
How bad do the injuries look? Lb looked fine til i pushed her fur the wrong way, then i saw the hole and a flap of skin. she had to have 5 staples :(
Belle is fine with all of us and my dog, that was the first aggression ever.

Is he neutered? it could be spring fever or chasing that got out of hand perhaps?
not much advice i'm afraid, i'm sure someone will be along with some advice soon. Give her lots of tlc for now xx

yes Rex is neutered, thats why i just didnt expect him to do this.

Blue has a little rip in her ear and the fur in between her ears has been taken off, you can move the fur and see skin but the skin itself isnt torn. my main worry with her was one of her eyes was bleeding, thats why i phoned all the vets. i bathed her eye with an old tea bag and now the bleeding has stopped but it still looks puffy, im so worried her eye is damaged, i told all the vets this and they all said, yes she needs to be seen, but wouldnt bloody see her coz i couldnt given them anything tonight!! they said, cant you borrow from someone, believe me, if i could i would, im not a cow, i dont want my animal in pain! they just dont get it :(

yes Rex is neutered, thats why i just didnt expect him to do this.

Blue has a little rip in her ear and the fur in between her ears has been taken off, you can move the fur and see skin but the skin itself isnt torn. my main worry with her was one of her eyes was bleeding, thats why i phoned all the vets. i bathed her eye with an old tea bag and now the bleeding has stopped but it still looks puffy, im so worried her eye is damaged, i told all the vets this and they all said, yes she needs to be seen, but wouldnt bloody see her coz i couldnt given them anything tonight!! they said, cant you borrow from someone, believe me, if i could i would, im not a cow, i dont want my animal in pain! they just dont get it :(

It's awful, they said that to me too :evil:
Would they take a cheque along with your debit card?

unfortunately i dont have any cheque book or credit cards, i only have a cash card account.

if they treat her tomorrow and there is any permanent damage that could have been avoided by her having treatment today then i will sue the arses of the vets!! im so angry with them.

x

i still dont know how to handle Rex now tho, he has had a couple of little digs at Blue before but nothing that worried me, this was totally different, he just went nuts and it was scary to watch. im to scared to go near him incase he does it to me :(

x

Oh no :(
Hope she is ok,hopefully it's not to serious, was it the sking around the eye bleeding do you think or the actual eye? if it's any consolation my mum had an eye injury recently and although there was a lot of blood her eye was just fine......not really the same i know, but sometimes it's the blood that makes things look worse :?
Keep an eye on her, as obviously you will and get yourself off first thing in the a.m, keep us updated and good luck
p.s if i had it I would lend you it!!

thanks hun,

the vets open at 8am for ops and 9am for normal surgery but i will take her at 8am whether they like it or not.

im not sure whether it was the skin around her eye or the eye itself, so be honest i have no idea what im looking for, thats why i needed teh vet! you know, i even phoned the PDSA and they wouldnt see her coz im not on benefits!!

x

I hopeshe was ok, what happened at the vets?

I doubt Rex would go for you, it sounds like the fighting you can get in unbonded buns, it could have been a territorial thing maybe?

If she's insured, certain vets do a thing called "claim direct" with petplan so all you have to pay is the £55 excess although i'm same as you in that if it was the night before payday i wouldn't even have that! It's worth finding a vet in advance that does the claim direct because my bun Joe has racked up nearly £1800 in vets bills in the last month from all the complications after eating that damn brush and there's no way on earth i would have been able to get my hands on that sort of money upfront and wait for it back.

Oh god! Poor bunny! What did the vets say?

Just to check, Rex is a rabbit right?

i was wondering tht myself i woudl say its because of territorial action even if buns ahve been fine in the past they either need to be bonded or not bonded as to put them together or not off and on can cause this easily (sorry to say) the reason being the meeting ground is not neutral. if you want them together then you need otbond properly if not leave them seperate i dont htink rex wil lgo for you or children they tend to take it out on bunnys mostly! hoep the buns are fine i dont think yo ucan sue a vet when its you without the moeny to pay though i understnad why you wish to get her seen asap, why not put some money aside each months so this never happens again you should always have a back up payment plan for an unexpected illness unfortunatly too many people get caught out this way. i hope that didnt sound lecturing i hope that buns are all ok, jsut take more care in future about letting them near each other. xxx

Oh god! Poor bunny! What did the vets say?

Just to check, Rex is a rabbit right?

Rex is her male rabbit, and Blue is her female rabbit who lives with another female i believe. They were all bonded but have been split due to Rex being depressed from what i can gather from previous posts.

I really hope Blue is ok :( Please update us xxx

Back