• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is your daily routine

pink-bunny

New Kit
hi am just wonder what is your daily routine as am new to owning rabbits
I have 3 horses so am use to work :)
so what’s your daily routine

I uncover them in the morning (they have a hutch cover), so I unzip those windows about 9am. They have their pellets and water refilled, as well as a fresh pile of Timothy hay.

About 11am they go our into their garden run, until about 5pm. In there they have toys, hay, and a shelter.

While they are out of heir hutch in the run, I change their litter tray and put more hay in the hutch.

When they go back in their hutch they get their veggies.

They come out in the evening for brushing and checking and some cuddles.

About 9pm I zip their cover up. About 11pm I put their blankets over them (because its a bit cold still).

My two are in an unheated utility next to the garage, not attached to the house.
I go in about 7.15am to let them into their indoor runs(attached to their hutches). Give them fresh veg, hay, 10 min cuddle each, put toys in and small bit dry food before going off to work.
I return at lunchtime and they come out with me for 20 mins each for a cuddle and leap about. Depending on weather might be in outdoor run, utility or kitchen (if kitchen is cool).
About 5 i give them more veg, change their water and litter trays. Around 6 they come out for cuddle and run around again for half hour each.
About 9.30, I give them more hay, tiny bit dry food and a treat for bedtime. Cuddle, then shut them away for night. Fleecy blankets over and snugglesafe pad if cold.
When the weather's warmer they will get to spend much more time outside with access from their runs in the garage to an outdoor run, that's the plan anyway.:wave:

Last edited:
Two of mine are indoor but all three used to be outdoor,so I'll describe the outdoor routine.

I open up their shed in the morning (about 8am) to check that they're okay. I look in their hutches for runny poos or bits of fur that might have come off if there has been some chasing. I pick them up and put them on my lap to check them over for any problems. I check their bottoms for mucky bum signs. All being well I stuff their living quarters and run with hay and refill their water bottles.

Throughout the day while I'm at work they're in their secure run. If my OH is home, he'll keep an eye on them and maybe take them out a bit of apple and give them a stroke. If he's not home I try to come back in the middle of the day or get someone to check on them.

At about 5-6pm I give them their science selective pellets, and check their bottoms and condition again. I add more hay if they've eaten it all from the morning. Then at 8pm I close up their run so they can't get into it.

At midnight or just before I go to bed I take some veggies out to them. I give them more hay, put the cover over their hutches and then padlock the shed.

My usual weekday routine...

3am wake up and tell Snowdrop to stop digging on the wooden flooring

3.05am go and resettle Strawberry with some fresh hay as he will have heard me talking to Snowdrop and think its feeding time

4am wake up again with Snowdrop

5.30am wake up to Strawberry trashing his room and making as much noise as possible. Give him his pellets and go back to bed.

6am get up and give Snowdrop pellets. Go back to bed.

6.30am alarm goes off. Get up and give Bungle pellets. Change his water and top up hay.

6.45am go back upstairs, change Strawberry and Snowdrops water and give fresh hay. Empty litter trays if need doing.

7am Give Bungle treat as I walk through kitchen.

5pm get home from work. Check on all 3 and give fresh hay. Let Bungle out.

6pm Give all 3 veggies and empty litter trays if weren't done in morning.

7pm Spend about an hour grooming Bungle. Give any meds if needed and check nails etc.

10pm Start trying to catch Bungle.

10.30pm Finally get hold of Bungle. Put him away and give pellets and fresh hay.

11pm After shower go to bed giving Strawberry and Snowdrop pellets and fresh hay as they are upstairs.

Weekday routine:

7:00 Wake up

7:30-8:00: Go out and feed pellets, open cat flap to run and change water in bowl.

4:00 (5 on Fridays): Get home and change water again. Feed vegetables and it it's a nice day then let them out into the sectioned off area in front of the shed for some supervised excercise- note that they have a run as well that they can choose to go in pretty much all day.

6:00-7:00 (Depending on light): Go out and lock catflap, change water bottle again then lock shed up.

8:00: If it's cold, go out and give them their Snugglesafe

mine is ..

college days
7am - get up, check all the bunnies, give them water pellets etc,
10am - OH lets out big girls in my room, littleys in living room/hall
4-5pm - I get home give everyone a fuss cuddles, groom Buffy (everyday), groom the rest in turns each day,
10pm - check everyones water again, give them all pellets, hay, treats etc, feed & water the degu's, hammies, and gerbil :D
11pm - put everyone to bed, clean litter trays, then I go to bed

non-college days
7am - get up, check all the bunnies, give them water pellets etc, let out big girls in my room, littleys in living room/hall
All through the day - give everyone fuss, groom Buffy etc
10pm - check everyones water again, give them all pellets, hay, treats etc, feed & water the degu's, hammies, and gerbil :D
11pm - put everyone to bed, clean litter trays, then I go to bed

I think that is everything, probs not, most of it I do as I go along lol :D

Spend most the night telling Lb to stop chewing the carpet.
approx 4am get up to the loo, Belle starts rattling bars for breakfast.

7am - Get up and get ready for work, feed, water, sweep out buns condo, give hay, chop up some veg.Let them out for 10 mins run around while we are having breakfast.

8am Give veg, go upstairs feed,water,give hay to Littlebun.

3pm/6pm Come in from work, sweep out condo again, feed, give more hay, let them out til bedtime, spend much time inbetween picking poops up as they are all leaving their scent( Lb against the other 3)

10pm - More hay, water, a treat....try and convince them it's bedtime!!

Jack lives in a spare bedroom (with other animals though obviously all seperate lol).

6:30am - John (husband!) opens baby gate so Jack can have a run around. Usually manically runs from room to room before jumping on me in bed. :p

7:00am - The Guinea Pigs get their morning veggies so Jack always gets a leaf or so. I top up his hay and if it's a work day I usually put some treats in his ball or give him a chew-toy or something to keep him occupied.

7:30am - work day - tempt Jack back into the pet room with something or other lol and shut room door.

Non-work days I'm in and out the pet room all day and go in there every now and then to talk to Jack / give him some fuss. Usually when I'm not at work I'm doing house-work or the garden (especially as we're decorating and am preparing the garden for Spring etc at the moment!) so Jack doesn't come out of the pet room very much during the day. However; he has longer out the pet room in the morning - usually until 8:30 or so.

4:30 pm (or 5:30 pm on work days) - I feed both Jack and the Guinea Pigs their veggies and change water bottles. Clean out litter tray and tidy his cage up a bit - he isn't shut in his dog crate but it does get messy, lol.

He usually comes out for a run around for an hour or so as well whilst we're getting changed from work - it's nice to spend time with him after work (or after house-work!).

9pm - Feed pellets to piggies and Jack.

9:30 pm - about 11pm - Jack comes out for a mad dash-about and we usually play 'chase' or something. Then it's bed-time! I have to shut the door now when he goes to bed rather than just shutting the baby gate as otherwise he'll rattle the gate to come out at random times during the night! :roll:

In case anyone's wondering - I do fit piggy / hamster / mouse / rat / degu play-times in between Jack's time too lol. Jack usually tries to steal the food of whoever I'm feeding. He loves the chinchilla pellets the degu have.

My morning routine is.....

5.25am - wake up, toilet, washed, teeth brushed
5.30am - go through to Herbie & Inca's room, opening the door hoping that
im not going to find Inca lying in a heap as she has been ill
recently.
Give the two of them a wee drop of pellets.
5.40am - Bathe Inca 'down below', put on cream, give her some probiotics,
give her metacam.
Put fresh hay in the litter tray, fresh water in bowl
6am - Give the two of them a bowl of veg & leave for work

12pm - Herbs n Incs get a lunchtime visit from their nanna (my gran :)) and
they get some veg or dandelion or whatever gran feeds them! & fresh
water in bowl

6pm - Home from work. Give Inca antibiotic injection, give her probiotics,
clean her woman bits.
Give both panacur, wee drop pellets, fresh hay, veg, fresh water in
bowl
9pm - Clean out litter trays before bed, fresh hay.

Think thats about it.

Depending on if I have clients to see its usually:
No clients:
7am. Get up, check on Pie give food/water/fuss etc, check reptiles (they are on a heat/light timer so all good) get ready be down to ride racing Arabs by 8am.
12noon back home, have lunch. Get on with some theory work while giving fuss to a mixture of Pie,my royal python and geckos.
2/3pm leave to do Sophie my pony. Ride. muck out/clean tack/any other odd jobs.
5pm back home just as OH gets home. Feed all animals. Give Pie her hard food (otherwise she goes hyper through the night!)
7pm have dinner while getting up every 5 mins to tell pie No for the hundreth time to stop chewing the skirting.
10/11pm put pie to bed. Colapse into bed.

And imagine that but with clients with horses in need squeezed in between all that! (Im an Equine Physio/sports massage therapist).

Basically my routine is,

7am - Wake up, give Tuzi his pellets, fuss. Empty and clean litter tray. Clean Tuzi's bed & pen area, vaccum hay that has accumulated everywhere around the house.

7.30 - 8.00am - Empty rubbish in outside bucket, give Tuzi fresh hay, clean water, fuss, check claws, teeths, ears, brush etc. Shower.

8.30am - let Tuzi out of his pen for the day. Get breakfast for myself.

9.00am - 4.30pm - Work, entertain Tuzi, Lunch for myself, fenugreek crunchie for Tuzi. (Unless I have to go out in which case Tuzi goes in his pen for a while so he doesn't get to anything he shouldn't while unsupervised.)

4.30pm - 5.00pm - Give Tuzi his dinner, pellets, fresh greens, clean water and a top up of fresh hay.

5.00pm - 11.00pm - Tuzi playtime/cuddle time :love:

11.00pm - Clean litter tray, give fresh water & hay, fuss, Tuzi and my bedtime.

7am-8am - get woken by lops jumping on the bed - feed lops (pellets and hay) check water and sit with lops for a while while I try and wake up :lol:

8am-9am - feed lionheads (pellets and hay) check water, let lionheads out and sit with them for a while while on the computer - sometimes I open the door up so they can have a run on the landing

about lunchtime - tidy lionheads enclosure a bit and give both pairs bit more hay

5pm-6pm - give both pairs veggies and a bit more hay

bedtime - shut lions away and go to bed - lops go up to their sleeping shelf with vetbed once they feel like it

I clean in the afternoon twice a week. I know some people will say that's not enough :roll: but if I do it anymore often the boxes tend not to be very full and I just waste megazorb and hay. That involves:

Tidy lions enclosure (scoop up hay and poos, brush vetbed) - empty and refill box - shut lions away for a while (they eat hay at this point so they don't notice) - hoover
Tidy lops enclosure (scoop hay and poos, brush vetbed and check underneath for wee and change towels if needed) - empty and refill box - shut lops away for a while while they eat hay - hoover

3am - woken by Charlee thundering around in her pen (the bun and piggies are in my room)

5am - woken up by Charlee throwing her toys around, all of which just happen to have bells in them :roll:. This sets the guinea pigs off, as they think it is time for me to get up and give them some food.

7am - trudge out of bed

8am - chuck veggies in the guinea pigs cages, and give some to Charlee. Check that they all have plentiful amounts of hay and refill water bottles.

4pm - let Charlee out for a play, I often sit with her for awhile which she loves! Whilst Charlee is mucking around, I clean out her litter tray, fluff up her hay, refill pellet bowl (cause she is a youngster she gets unlimited pellets) and check water bottle. Then I move onto the piggies, whilst she continues to play.

6pm - veggies for the piggies and Charlee

8pm - Toffee's (guinea pig) medicine, I also give Charlee a cuddle too around this time

9 - 10pm - Charlee goes back into play pen, chuck a few more veggies into the piggies cage to keep em' quite momentarily, Charlee usually gets a treat too

7.30am - Lift hutch covers, and feed (pellets) and water everybun

6pm - Feed (veg/greens and hay) and water everybun...and clean out on a rotational basis (I have 24 rabbits, so pairs are cleaned every other day and singles every second day). Drop hutches covers in winter (later in summer with the light nights).

Between 6.30-7am Feed indoor pets, budgies,guinea pigs,Lyric and Tiny then clean litter trays
Open up outdoor buns cat flaps,feed and clean litter trays
Let Lyric out for half an hour-two hours depending on work
then depending on finish time feed outdoor rabbits pellets and top up hay
Feed indoor buns and pigs veggies and top up hay
Lyric comes out, goes to bed about 10pm-11pm gets pellets and more hay
Same with Tiny
Shut outdoor buns in at 10-11pm give veggies top up hay and give snugglesafes if cold

Morning veg top water up and add some treat hay, home time check all buns empty litter trays and add fresh hay, pellets. Later in the evening top water bottles up add some more treat hay and give a fenegreek crunchie each. Each week or more if needed clean all buns out.

Morning, feed indoor buns some SS, top up hay rack and refill water bowls. open up shed, top up hays and waters
Evening feed indoor pets, refill indoor buns hay rack & water, change litter tray. outdoor buns empty litter trays if needed, refill hay rack & water & give them pellets

Back