• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can two males live together

pink-bunny

New Kit
As you can guess by the title, can two male rabbits live together if they were in same pen at pet shop and were related?

I don't see why not. :) If it were 2 males both from different places then it becomes a litle risky, but if they are together now and are related (so most likely been together since birth) then they should act like a loving couple! :love:

yes provided they are neutered just before hormone kick in, fostered a few brothers who were neutered at 12 ish weeks at the same time and still stayed together

How old are they?

I would definately get them neutered.

Just because they are related does not necessarily mean they will get on unfortunately. It really depends on each bunny's personality.

Neutering them when they are old enough would be a great start though :)

thanks for that infomation
its my first time of owning rabbits :)
what do i need ?
if you reccomend anything please say :)

you could try a rescue, there are lots of pairs waiting for homes as its quite hard to rehome a pair, often they are already neutered and vax, which of course will include a fee but often a cheaper than getting it all done your self,

Ill leave everyone else to fill you in on the rest :)

Yes, I have a trio of 3 brothers.
The only thing is, they WILL fight when they hit puberty, so you need to be really vigilant of their testicles when they drop and get them booked in ASAP to have them removed.

thanks for that infomation
its my first time of owning rabbits :)
what do i need ?
if you reccomend anything please say :)

Hello and welcome :wave:

I would strongly recommend you try the rescues that advertise their bunnies on this site. They will have made sure their buns are healthy, and like as already said, they will neuter and vax your buns before you collect them. They also bond pairs, or already have pairs of lovely buns that deserve a good home. Have a look in the Rabbits in need section.
Don't worry if your favourite buns are a distance away, sometimes bunny runs can be arranged when folks help transport them for you.

There is a ton of info on requirements for rabbits on this site, just keep wandering around it and you will find out all you need to know, and if you don't just ask... we are a friendly bunch!

And to answer your question, 2 male buns can possibly live together, but they must be neutered, and even then some serious fights can break out. It is probably best for your first bunny experience to go for a neutered pair of one of each that will love each other silly!

ETA
Also, look on RU sister site... http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/ where you can search for rescue buns in your own area.

Hi:wave:

My two boys are my first rabbits, lets just say I wish I found this website before I got them, not that I regret anything but may be I could've made their life a little better if I did my research:roll:

My two buns were 8 weeks when I got them, they lived together in a pen with other buns for at least a week. So when I got them home all was great, thought I done good getting two so they could be buddies but three weeks out of the blue they started fighting :(

I have heard after they have fought it can be very near to impossible to re-bond them. My two are so different I dont think I'd chance it.

Your bunnies will need to be vaccinated for myximatosis and VHD (ask at your local vets about this.) And both of your little boys will need to be neutered (as other people have said above) so that they still get on when they hit adolescence!

They need a nice big living space, ideally 6ftx2ftx2ft and a large run to run around in. If they are outside buns you need to make sure their living space is protected from predators and harsh weather conditions. Their diet needs to be mostly hay (about their body size in hay a day) veggies (NOT iceburg lettuce) and a handful of pellets daily. Which brand of rabbit food are you feeding them?

You need to watch out for their eating and pooing habits eg, if they stop eating or pooing, something is really wrong with them. The same goes for the other way - if they have diarrhea or lack or poos take them to the vets.

That's not everything, but a good thing to start with! Also, we'd love to see some pictures of them, so please post in Your Stories and Photos (when you scroll down the forum) and let us see how adorable they are!

Back