• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Indoor Bunny always malting

nixxy83

Young Bun
Hi,

I have a 3 year old dwarf lop and he is an indoor bunny, he is always malting - and not just talking a little bit - I brush him once per day and get loads of out him but he lies on his bed for an hour and its covered, he doesnt have any bald patches and is healthy.

Is this normal?

Can I do anything or buy him anything to control this?

buns are constantly moulting sorry to say as long as no flakey skin then he is fine. if you are worried about furballs then papaya or pinapple(fresh) can help. x

Oh yes Evies fluff is everywhere she seems to have decided that now its -2 overnight not -13 its time for a new coat :roll:

Yes Smudge has decided to start his own angora factory, he'll be knitting jumpers in no time. I guess we'll just have to make do with 50 brushes a day and hoovering every 2 hours :lol:

Snowdrop is always moulting. I dont know how she has any hair left it ends up all over our bedroom but she doesnt have any bald patches so must grow it as fast as it falls out!

Dexter too- I have little mini dexter balls under the table every morning where he hides so he can pounce and escape when the gate is opened. And his bed is covered. I have to hoover every day. :roll:

Vinnie moults constantly too, she's not even long haired! Not much you can do except brush it out as much as possible and keep a sticky roller around the house - those things are amazing. :D

My indoor buns were constant moulters too, they ceased having seasonal moults and just had small amounts of loss all the time. I recall reading an article from the House Rabbit Society some time ago where they suggested it is not uncommon for indoor buns to alter the moulting to suit their more consistent year round temperatures.

Yes its perfectly normal.My 2 moult all the time but luckily the real heavy moult they were going through a month ago has finished & they are back into their usual light one.

Are they eating a good diet?

Mischa and Mini used to moult horrendously. I mean, I would brush them outside and the garden would be covered and this was a regular thing not just a twice yearly moult. Since improving their diet their coats are far FAR better. So maybe just check that they are getting loads of hay, a handful of veggies and a tablespoon of pellets.

Hi,

I have a 3 year old dwarf lop and he is an indoor bunny, he is always malting - and not just talking a little bit - I brush him once per day and get loads of out him but he lies on his bed for an hour and its covered, he doesnt have any bald patches and is healthy.

Is this normal?

Can I do anything or buy him anything to control this?

I've just noticed how much my girls are malting too!! its shocking they are only like two handfuls (daisy even smaller) yet the fur that they leave behind when running free is mad!! xx

Back